List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Dion arrived end of 2016 !!
2016 richmond finished 13th
By the way I’m just salty - congrats on the cup.

Just always bitter that the AFL (and therefore the other 17 clubs) paid the pick for lynch to leave while Richmond had to give up nothing - not your fault - just a ridiculous AFLPA system

Just look at this years draft combine 44 out 79 are Vic players even though the Allies beat Vic Metro and many of their players had better stats ( some selected didn’t even play in the Nab under 18 championships) . Still VFL first in many ways
I see your point but how do you combat the precious darlings wanting to leave after one or two years. Draftees these days are probably told by their managers on draft night, ''Hey listen, Ben King, I know it sucks you have to go to the Suns, but seriously, don't stress mate, we'll get you home next year, just tuff it out for one year" I dont think money is the biggest factor here. I think its ''I want to go home, and I want to win a flag yesterday''.

I see your point but how do you combat the precious darlings wanting to leave after one or two years. Draftees these days are probably told by their managers on draft night, ''Hey listen, Ben King, I know it sucks you have to go to the Suns, but seriously, don't stress mate, we'll get you home next year, just tuff it out for one year" I dont think money is the biggest factor here. I think its ''I want to go home, and I want to win a flag yesterday''.
Well the managers are definitely saying it, and more perniciously its Clubs and media saying it in various sly ways too
It's not the money because these stars will get the same money anywhere +/- $50k which they'll make up in endorsements and other ways

Well the managers are definitely saying it, and more perniciously its Clubs and media saying it in various sly ways too
It's not the money because these stars will get the same money anywhere +/- $50k which they'll make up in endorsements and other ways
Even Fat Eddie was critical of the AFL introducing FA shortly after expanding into 2 non AFL states.
The imbeciles were actually convinced that it would even up the comp by players leaving top teams for enter money offered at lower teams. They are seriously delusional at HQ.
The players now fleece lower teams for mega $$$ then going to top clubs when their FA window opens and take less money.
Then you get those quality individuals like Grublett who takes the cash in a front loaded contract and leaves before the end.
Blind Freddy could’ve seen this was going to be a disaster and now it’s moved quickly to any contracted player can weasel their way to a club of their choosing and bend over the club they leave in their wake.

They’ve got a draft and that should be the only way you get somewhere. You want to return home then only a team from that state can draft them. If they nominate a $$$ figure then the team drafting them must pay that. AFLPA are at the wheel whilst Gil thinks up new social engineering ideas. It will never happen

Last edited:
Hi
I've said hello in 'The Sun Lounge' so thanks for the warm welcome - nice to get some 'likes'!

I've waited a few days before approaching the thorny subject of drafting and trading, but after the GF, now seems as good a time as any!

Being based in Melbourne, I might have a slightly different perspective (not necessarily a right one!) but for what it's worth, there is are a decent number of AFL fans of other clubs that would like to see us do well for the sake of the competition - but the caveat being 'you have to get it right THIS time'.

So what do we do?
'Speedy' King and Lukosius must stay obviously - now please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SD and Witts visit both their families and lay out a comprehensive 4 year plan for their future development prior to last years draft?
I'd like to think if that is on track we'd be reminding them that the club has met it's obligations so far, and so 'believe in us' for the next 3. Perhaps offer both an extra yr contract offer with the guarantee that if yr 3 is a bust then the club will do all they can to secure the trades they require.
If we do well, they re-sign for another 2.
Kind of a safety net for the 2 players.
Leaving aside the early picks in the draft - #1 and #2 are locked in for Rowell and Anderson probably - what do we do with the established players?

I'd be hoping we would be considering being ruthless this year - there are 3 or 4 youngsters who won't make it (I'm loathe to name names as often family post on these sites, and wouldn't want to upset anyone) - but I'm sure we have opinions on some.
Out of the established trades from last yr - Collins,Miles and especially Hombsch did as well as they could do in the circumstances.
Young and Horlin-Smith - did not grab their chance, which, when drinking in the 'last chance saloon' is not a great sign - mutual termination of contracts possibly?

Martin is gone - and I would add Wright to the trade table while he has still got some chance of getting a useable pick from him.

I'd like to throw some names out there that haven't been discussed as potential targets - just to consider.

There are some unhappy players around who for whatever reason maybe aren't enjoying their current situation - but would suit us - and be legitimate best 22 contenders immediately.

The obvious point is they may well not want to come, or be let go by their club - but I'd like to hope we have asked the question - Clarko does, so why not SD who worked under him?

The Bulldogs need a Forward / Ruck - so Wright (plus pick) for TOBY McLEAN. McLean is still young and was a 25 possession mid with a really good burst out the centre. He's now playing pressure forward / HFF and he hates it according to Bulldogs fans that I work with (I actually work 1KM from Whitten Oval so there are quite a few!). His possessions are down to 15 and he's only kicked 3 more goals than last year when predominantly a mid.
He's behind 3 elite mids and isn't likely to displace any of them anytime soon. He is one unhappy footballer who might well want to prove a point
RFA in 2022 - but the Dogs may well be happy to deal.
Players 'wanting to prove a point' will be the common factor in this 'getting-very-long-very-quickly-post'

JACOB TOWNSEND - 16 goals in 5 games and a flag in 2017 - broke his leg and played only 1 AFL game this season. Will be delisted due to last seasons arrival of Voldemort and can't get back into a team with a front line of Voldemort and Riewoldt.
Won a VFL flag this year however - can certainly play, and has a nice bit of 'mongrel' about him - which would help to protect the young bodies.

DANIEL HOWE - In and out of a Hawthorn team that will get Mitchell back. 'Baby-Faced Assassin' who is a superb tagger/lock down player with a heap of aggression. Good size, and puts his head over the ball without hesitation. Hard as nails and out of contract 2020. Hawthorn cannot seem to find a role for him and he's too good to be a bit part player. Would be perfect to protect the young mids, take some if the heavy lifting off Miles and Swallow.
He's only 24 and has huge upside. Seems to be a classic victim of Clarksons rotation of players into multiple positions. Would make our midfield walk so much taller.

Lastly - and he's retired - but blimey could a call to DALE THOMAS hurt?
Organised an under siege Carlton backline for the last 2 yrs whilst playing very good footy. Retired mainly to start a media career. Pretty sure he could land some of that in QLD.
Premiership player who,in my humble opinion has 2 yrs of footy left in him.Got to be worth a call and offer a 1 + 1?

Here's to the draft period...... :thumbsupemoji:

There was an article on SEN website a couple
Of days ago questioning why Brandon Ellis would leave a flag winning club for a wooden spooner it “raised eyebrows”
Unfortunately Richmond needed to move on a double premiership player to allow salary cap space for Judas Lynch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you can have run and carry but still be hard at the ball. My problem with Ellis is that he squibs 99% of contests he goes into. Big front runner who will struggle in a team like ours.

Hi
I've said hello in 'The Sun Lounge' so thanks for the warm welcome - nice to get some 'likes'!

I've waited a few days before approaching the thorny subject of drafting and trading, but after the GF, now seems as good a time as any!

Being based in Melbourne, I might have a slightly different perspective (not necessarily a right one!) but for what it's worth, there is are a decent number of AFL fans of other clubs that would like to see us do well for the sake of the competition - but the caveat being 'you have to get it right THIS time'.

So what do we do?
'Speedy' King and Lukosius must stay obviously - now please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't SD and Witts visit both their families and lay out a comprehensive 4 year plan for their future development prior to last years draft?
I'd like to think if that is on track we'd be reminding them that the club has met it's obligations so far, and so 'believe in us' for the next 3. Perhaps offer both an extra yr contract offer with the guarantee that if yr 3 is a bust then the club will do all they can to secure the trades they require.
Leaving aside the early picks in the draft - #1 and #2 are locked in for Rowell and Anderson probably - what do we do with the established players?

I'd be hoping we would be considering being ruthless this year - there are 3 or 4 youngsters who won't make it (I'm loathe to name names as often family post on these sites, and wouldn't want to upset anyone) - but I'm sure we have opinions on some.
Out of the established trades from last yr - Collins,Miles and especially Hombsch did as well as they could do in the circumstances.
Young and Horlin-Smith - did not grab their chance, which, when drinking in the 'last chance saloon' is not a great sign - mutual termination of contracts possibly?

Martin is gone - and I would add Wright to the trade table while he has still got some chance of getting a useable pick from him.

I'd like to throw some names out there that haven't been discussed as potential targets - just to consider.

There are some unhappy players around who for whatever reason maybe aren't enjoying their current situation - but would suit us - and be legitimate best 22 contenders immediately.

The obvious point is they may well not want to come, or be let go by their club - but I'd like to hope we have asked the question - Clarko does, so why not SD who worked under him?

The Bulldogs need a Forward / Ruck - so Wright (plus pick) for TOBY McLEAN. McLean is still young and was a 25 possession mid with a really good burst out the centre. He's now playing pressure forward / HFF and he hates it according to Bulldogs fans that I work with (I actually work 1KM from Whitten Oval so there are quite a few!). His possessions are down to 15 and he's only kicked 3 more goals than last year when predominantly a mid.
He's behind 3 elite mids and isn't likely to displace any of them anytime soon. He is one unhappy footballer who might well want to prove a point
Players 'wanting to prove a point' will be the common factor in this 'getting-very-long-very-quickly-post'

JACOB TOWNSEND - 16 goals in 5 games and a flag in 2017 - broke his leg and played only 1 AFL game this season. Will be delisted due to last seasons arrival of Voldemort and can't get back into a team with a front line of Voldemort and Riewoldt.
Won a VFL flag this year however - can certainly play, and has a nice bit of 'mongrel' about him - which would help to protect the young bodies.

DANIEL HOWE - In and out of a Hawthorn team that will get Mitchell back. 'Baby-Faced Assassin' who is a superb tagger/lock down player with a heap of aggression. Good size, and puts his head over the ball without hesitation. Hard as nails and out of contract 2020. Hawthorn cannot seem to find a role for him and he's too good to be a bit part player. Would be perfect to protect the young mids, take some if the heavy lifting off Miles and Swallow.
He's only 24 and has huge upside. Seems to be a classic victim of Clarksons rotation of players into multiple positions. Would make our midfield walk so much taller.

Organised an under siege Carlton backline for the last 2 yrs whilst playing very good footy. Retired mainly to start a media career. Pretty sure he could land some of that in QLD.
Premiership player who,in my humble opinion has 2 yrs of footy left in him.Got to be worth a call and offer a 1 + 1?

You almost had me until you had us trading Wright and a pick for Toby McLean.

Goodbye now.

I'd throw pick 1 and 2 on the table and see what comes up. In all likelihood Rowell and Anderson are both Vic metro kids who have a habit of wanting out after 1 or 2 seasons. I like Brisbanes strategy of recruiting Vic country kids who are less likely to want to go home and putting a Hodge type in place to drive the standards.

Hi

So what do we do?

Toby been mentioned a number of times on here. But perhaps before you signed up. Would be a great get. We can offer midfield time which he isn’t getting at the dogs. Wish he could have been part of a Martin trade.

Hadn’t thought of Howe but admired his toughness. Maybe expendable with Mitchell in.

Nice thoughts.

I'd throw pick 1 and 2 on the table and see what comes up. In all likelihood Rowell and Anderson are both Vic metro kids who have a habit of wanting out after 1 or 2 seasons. I like Brisbanes strategy of recruiting Vic country kids who are less likely to want to go home and putting a Hodge type in place to drive the standards.
Unless it is Nat Fyfe quality then no.

Agree. I think we wouldn't have much luck on the trade table throwing down picks 1 & 2 anyway... Goto the draft, pick Rowell and Anderson up and I feel the suns will have some good frame work inlace... the next task will be to sign King and Loko n climb the ladder

Pardon the intrusion, but I hear some chatter that we might be doing business again in trade week.

I genuinely have no more info than that, but was wondering if anyone here has heard anything to this effect post-Burgoyne?

No sure whether it's likely to be you targeting one (or a few) of ours or vice versa.
Heard you guys are after Jacob heron.
Willing to take a swap of 2020 1st (hawks) and 2nd (suns) to get it done...

No?

Well, I haven’t heard anything more I’m afraid! Certainly nothing like a 4th rounder for a former top 10 pick. Martin and an chee touted to leave have been linked elsewhere.

Anyone from your list that would be genuine best 22 and available?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Back