Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Gunston, Smith and our future first rounder for Noah Anderson?

Noooo thanks.

The point is we don't particularly rate next year's draft, and even so we have a good academy pick in it so we'll get a decent draftee just by matching with points.

This allows us to not only bring in 2 which would get Anderson, but also allow us to keep 11. Two top line talents in the draft, plus Maginness.

The point is we don't particularly rate next year's draft, and even so we have a good academy pick in it so we'll get a decent draftee just by matching with points.

This allows us to not only bring in 2 which would get Anderson, but also allow us to keep 11. Two top line talents in the draft, plus Maginness.

Losing Gunston and Smith just to bring in Noah would weaken our list considerably.

Next year's first and Smith plus a lower tier player the Suns might like would be more palatable. To give away a first round pick and two top tier players to only get back Noah is lunacy.

Losing Gunston and Smith just to bring in Noah would weaken our list considerably.

Next year's first and Smith plus a lower tier player the Suns might like would be more palatable. To give away a first round pick and two top tier players to only get back Noah is lunacy.

I agree. I would love to see a forward line consisting of Patton-Lewis-Gunston-Breust

Also, Damian Barrett said he didnt think a package like that would get it done.

The Gold Coast priced pick 2 in 2017 at Lachie Weller and pick 41. If they expect something ludicrous for it only 2 years later then they are ****ed in the head.

I don't think it weakens us a huge amount. Noah Anderson would have good production even in his first year, comparable to Rozee and likely even better.

That also doesn't factor in general improvement in other players and improvement in having Mitchell back in the lineup.

If you don’t think guys like Gunston, Smith and Breust aren’t possibilities to be traded then you are in for a bad time.

If the club was so willing to trade away Mitchell and Lewis for SFA then you’re kidding yourselves if you don’t think the club would trade the above guys to get at pick 2.

We all thought there was no conceivable way we’d ever consider trading Burton yet it happened too.

Strap yourselves in, folks!

I am all for it. We are two, maybe 3 pre-seasons away from filling in the spots we need. By then, Bruest will be 30-31, Gunston 29-30 and Smith 32-33 years old.

Either we hold on to aging players, possibly delay our next Premiership, or use them to trade in or recruit the players we need now, and try get them primed for a good tilt at the flag in 2-3 seasons.

I would rather get 2-3 seasons into a list that will contend for the flag for 3-5 years in a row, than hold onto older guys who will leave holes that we may or may not be able to fill later down the track.
If we're looking for a young potential A-grade midfielder there are tons of cheaper options out there, both in this draft and already at other clubs. The only reason we're so desperate to grab Anderson is his family connection, and because we've had a shitty run with father/sons in the past.

I'd rather NOT get shafted by GC again after they bent us over with the JOM trade just because some promising kid's dad played for the Hawks 30 years ago.

To give away a first round pick and two top tier players to only get back Noah is lunacy.
Precisely. Are people here not perceptive enough to realize pick 2 is worth far more to GC this year? The AFL handed GC pick 1 explicitly to recruit both Anderson and Rowell who are best friends, in the hope that will help GC retain them.

Putting a spoke in the AFL's plans sounds great, yes lets all take a few moments to savor how great it'd be. Back to reality, we'd be forced to pay a king's ransom for the privilege. Is this Anderson kid REALLY that good? Has he been talked up as the best young midfield prospect since Judd? Not that I've heard.

Who cares that his dad played for Hawthorn. We don't have father/son access, that's life. Move on and continue hunting bargains not white elephants.

Last edited:
If you don’t think guys like Gunston, Smith and Breust aren’t possibilities to be traded then you are in for a bad time.

If the club was so willing to trade away Mitchell and Lewis for SFA then you’re kidding yourselves if you don’t think the club would trade the above guys to get at pick 2.

We all thought there was no conceivable way we’d ever consider trading Burton yet it happened too.

Bookmark this post to come back and laugh at this fool at 7.31pm 16 October 2019.

If we're looking for a young potential A-grade midfielder there are tons of cheaper options out there, both in this draft and already at other clubs. The only reason we're so desperate to grab Anderson is his family connection, and because we've had a s**tty run with father/sons in the past.

I'd rather NOT get shafted by GC again after they bent us over with the JOM trade just because some promising kid's dad played for the Hawks 30 years ago.

It's not about the fact that it's a good "Hawthorn story" - it's that this kid is a genuine jet. You don't average 30 touches and close to 3 goals a game at any level of competition unless you're an unbelievable prospect.

That's exactly what Anderson averaged over the NAB League.

Trading Burton and a first rounder for Wingard makes perfect sense - that's about the price for a proven entity.

Trading Guston and Smith and a first round pick for pick 2 in the draft is insanity.

If we're looking for a young potential A-grade midfielder there are tons of cheaper options out there, both in this draft and already at other clubs. The only reason we're so desperate to grab Anderson is his family connection, and because we've had a s**tty run with father/sons in the past.

Repeating this over & over doesn't make it so.

You can't honestly think that the only reason we'd give up multiple senior players &/or picks is because his Dad played for us & very few other kids with Dads that played for us have worked out??

Trading Burton and a first rounder for Wingard makes perfect sense - that's about the price for a proven entity.

Trading Guston and Smith and a first round pick for pick 2 in the draft is insanity.
Have a feeling you and other posters will be feeling that insanity though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate - there's Pick 2, and then there's Pick 2. The value of that pick varies wildly depending on the quality of the draft.

In this draft it's exceedingly valuable. Look at the NBA, there were plenty of teams who would throw pretty much anything they had to get LeBron back in the day, and there would have been plenty that had a crack at getting the pick to land Zion Williamson this year too.

Bookmark this post to come back and laugh at this fool at 7.31pm 16 October 2019.
Mate the same can be said about your post if it happens.

If it happens all I can say is wow
Bruest was inconsistent this year
Smith has a year or 2 left in him
If Gunners went would be sad to see him leave.

I'm sitting on the fence in this argument, i would be prepared to give up a couple of players
Smith - has 2 seasons at his high standards

In Noah Anderson and Matt Rowell you are getting a Sam Walsh - instant impact, future 200 game 10yr player.
The draft is a lottery at the best of times, the top 3 is a safer gamble

100%. The weird romance Hawk fans feel toward Anderson (who doesn't support Hawthorn) because his dad played some games here is irrelevant.

Trading out Gunston and Smith for an unproven draft pick will significantly weaken our list and our chances of winning a flag in the next 3 seasons, which we are led to believe is the ambition. You don't improve a middle of the ladder side by trading out two of the top 6-7 players at the club for an 18 year old. It is also entirely inconsistent with recent moves of trading Burton and a first rounder for Wingard; bringing in Patton and Frost now; going hard after Coniglio etc.

It just does not make sense. Could a Gunston, Smith or Breust type be on the move? Of course. But i'd be very surprised if it is for an early draft pick as opposed to getting a proven elite player into the club. Unless the club is now thinking they are further off the pace than all recent moves would suggest they think.

I'm sitting on the fence in this argument, i would be prepared to give up a couple of players
Smith - has 2 seasons at his high standards

In Noah Anderson and Matt Rowell you are getting a Sam Walsh - instant impact, future 200 game 10yr player.
The draft is a lottery at the best of times, the top 3 is a safer gamble

It's really not - the amount of average players selected in the first 3 picks is fairly high.

Spot on - it's a discussion - these keyboard warriors stroll in and claim it's a fact. Happy for them to make suggestions, just don't lie and say it's 100% certain when you have no idea.

Crypto said that trading Gunston, Smith & Breust were POSSIBILITIES - no statement of fact at all.

I get your frustration - the same thing drives me insane (presenting opinion as fact) - but Cryptor didn't do that.

I know he is hit and miss but he did call frost requesting a trade to hawks a day before it happened. He would still have some solid connections at the hawks

Attachments

• 7F5C2C9D-8149-46FB-8BF9-F4BA50B4F7C1.png
    7F5C2C9D-8149-46FB-8BF9-F4BA50B4F7C1.png
    152.1 KB · Views: 257
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back