Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 years contracts for over-30's is a great policy, but there must be exceptions. I don't think the rule is good because it is absolute. Making it absolute weakens it.

When people argue why we aren’t pricks at the trade table this is why. Players have faith in our decision makers’ words because we show player welfare is our utmost concern.

And making it absolute doesn’t muddy waters. All men are created equal.

When do we call a truce Abasi?
Not sure what we’d be calling a truce on.

The post you copied in to the trade targets thread was vague speculation with no mention of Hawthorn at all.

It literally could have been about any number of clubs.

Not sure that is correct. Where we fall away is our lack of absolute top-liners. We have 1 player (Mitchell) who would be widely regarded as a top 20-30 player in the competition.

Wingard at his best is one but he needs to get back there. Late season signs were encouraging. Worpel's stats marry up very favourably with champions of the game after 2 seasons but he's not there yet. If he gets there quickly, that would be terrific.

We have some very good players - Breust, Gunston, Sicily, O'Meara, McEvoy. But they are not in the superstar category.
I’d say Sicily is definitely in the superstar category but he plays in a position that will rarely win you games.

I’d say Sicily is definitely in the superstar category but he plays in a position that will rarely win you games.
😳 a gun CHB rarely wins you games?

63E82112-BC05-47F8-90DC-524C2EF9DA3A.jpeg

😳 a gun CHB rarely wins you games?

View attachment 739635
You know what I mean... A gun CHB is absolutely essential, but let’s be fair here. They don’t have the match winning capabilities of a gun KPF or Midfielder. Match saving abilities yes. In any case, I’m arguing that Sicily *is* in fact a superstar - so we have two. I’d even argue that Wingard is one as well. He’s just had an injury hit pre-season / year.

You know what I mean... A gun CHB is absolutely essential, but let’s be fair here. They don’t have the match winning capabilities of a gun KPF or Midfielder. Match saving abilities yes. In any case, I’m arguing that Sicily *is* in fact a superstar - so we have two. I’d even argue that Wingard is one as well. He’s just had an injury hit pre-season / year.
I don’t agree.

In the words of Yabby, either we have the ball, they have the ball or the ball is in dispute.

A gun CHB impacts the game when we have the ball, when they have the ball and when the ball is in dispute.
You can’t say the same about key forwards(mostly), and midfielders are a dime a dozen.

If you’ve got a superstar CHB, not only do you get to drive the ball off half back, you also stop the opposition from scoring a lot more of the time(creating more forward opportunities, while nullifying the opponents forward thrusts - see Hodge in the 2008 GF).

I don’t agree.

In the words of Yabby, either we have the ball, they have the ball or the ball is in dispute.

A gun CHB impacts the game when we have the ball, when they have the ball and when the ball is in dispute.
You can’t say the same about key forwards(mostly), and midfielders are a dime a dozen.

If you’ve got a superstar CHB, not only do you get to drive the ball off half back, you also stop the opposition from scoring a lot more of the time(creating more forward opportunities, while nullifying the opponents forward thrusts - see Hodge in the 2008 GF).

I have absolutely no issue with the quantifiable value of a CHB but I would be worried about using a high end pick on drafting one with a view to short term success.

Big fellas take longer to hit their straps, if we go to the draft but need our selections to impact in the next two to three seasons it's an issue. Also with forward lines shrinking the prototype matters.

Brining in established talent in these positions like Spud and Lake or using later picks like the one used on Sicily has served us well.

I have absolutely no issue with the quantifiable value of a CHB but I would be worried about using a high end pick on drafting one with a view to short term success.

Big fellas take longer to hit their straps, if we go to the draft but need our selections to impact in the next two to three seasons it's an issue. Also with forward lines shrinking the prototype matters.

Brining in established talent in these positions like Spud and Lake or using later picks like the one used on Sicily has served us well.
Yeah, but we’re not talking about drafting a CHB, the discussion was about Sicily.

I don’t agree.

My thoughts went to Hodge in 2008 as well, straight after I thought of Mew in 83, 86, 88, 89, 91.
One Keath please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any SA Hawks have info on Luke Partington?
He has had a pretty good year from what I have been reading.
Almost someone that may be a Clarko type pick up with a focus on the future coaching ranks.
He is studying teaching & is contributing to junior football as a coach.
His footy stats look very Afl like with a high DE & contested numbers. He has pace & is a reasonable size.
As a depth player with a scope for improvement, at the very least he could be a good Cousins replacement if we can get a future pick for him for academy points next season.

He would have been stuck behind a pretty long list at WC to get a game when he was younger but I suspect that he now has a seasoned body & some solid SANFL experience, he would be a pretty “Clarko” type personality as a rookie.

Any insight on him would be appreciated

With Coniglio already signed, Whitfield and Cameron expected to sign long term big $ deals at GWS it will be a case of seeing what shakes free.

A lot of attention given to Tomlinson for being an RFA at Gold Coast this year, but Matthew Buntine is a guy who has struggled for continuity and could be very good with a change of scenery. Also an RFA.

With the midfield locked away, will a guy like Aiden Bonar see his opportunities as limited and explore a move back home?

Has Aiden Corr been surpassed by other younger options?

Even if we don’t pick up Patton, somebody else will, we not the only ones interested.

The prick in me wants to walk away from Patton simply as a FU to GWS, try to hamper their ability to sign Whitfield... But then theres the fact that Patton could legitimately allow Mitch Lewis to compete for a Coleman medal, and for those who think that's outrageous, just have an analytical look at Mitchs stats as a ley forward.

With Coniglio already signed, Whitfield and Cameron expected to sign long term big $ deals at GWS it will be a case of seeing what shakes free.

A lot of attention given to Tomlinson for being an RFA at Gold Coast this year, but Matthew Buntine is a guy who has struggled for continuity and could be very good with a change of scenery. Also an RFA.

With the midfield locked away, will a guy like Aiden Bonar see his opportunities as limited and explore a move back home?

Has Aiden Corr been surpassed by other younger options?
Bonar is definitely one of the high quality youngsters they will have to let go. I'd be ecstatic if we could pry him away cheaply and could be another Scrimshaw type pick up. If we could somehow manage to cherry pick these former top 10 picks (from GWS and GC) for late picks then that goes a long way to amending us not drafting high end talent ourselves. Combine that with us getting late round steals like Worpel then that is an unbelievable way in rorting the drafts of years gone by. Bonar can play forward and mid and loves to kick a goal so if he could be shook free then its a definitive yes from me.

The prick in me wants to walk away from Patton simply as a FU to GWS, try to hamper their ability to sign Whitfield... But then theres the fact that Patton could legitimately allow Mitch Lewis to compete for a Coleman medal, and for those who think that's outrageous, just have an analytical look at Mitchs stats as a ley forward.

Mitch Lewis Coleman medal lol.

If he kicks 30 for the season I would be wrapped.

He is a handy developing kid that shows some promise.

Mitch Lewis Coleman medal lol.

If he kicks 30 for the season I would be wrapped.

He is a handy developing kid that shows some promise.
I don’t think Tige meant in 2020 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back