Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record Brad love it in Perth, can find him almost every morning at Scarborough beach catching waves, even runs his own Instagram page for it. Even his normal account is littered with photos of Scarbs.

If we hang onto him I doubt he’ll be too devastated, it’s more his missus.
Some absolute beauties (waves I mean) in these Instagram. Can't get this in Melbourne with a decent water temp! And Brad wants to go back to Melbourne because maybe sometime in the next few years his gf wants to get pregnant and then wants to be near her family?

Why don't we offer Bhily more money if his contract was massively front ended? He's worth it!

Henry inured at Christ Church (against Scotch of all teams grrr). Not sure how bad, but it was his knee, so not ideal.

Sharp, who initially wanted to play the season for Aquinas with his mates, has decided to play the remainder of the year at The Sharks. Apparently loves playing against the 'big boys'.

Why don't we offer Bhily more money if his contract was massively front ended? He's worth it!
Can we drop how much we pay him if he has a poor year? He missed half of last season, do we get that money back?

He signed a contract for a total value. Perhaps we can extend his deal but put most of the money at the end of his next deal.

You might be over estimating the strength of this years draft.

I can easily see both Gold Coast and Brisbane selecting Rivers with our mid teens picks.

After say the top 10, this draft really opens up. How clubs rate the kids will be heavily influenced by club needs.

There aren’t many top tier mids this year, and quite a lot of the “decent” mids are short. And in general, AFL clubs don’t like short mids unless they are exceptional.

This draft has a 2017 feel about it. Did anyone expect Brisbane to select Brandon Starcevich with a top 20 pick then?

There are almost no KPP’s worth using a first round pick on, there are no top quality wingers, only one decent outside mid in Dylan Stephens.

There are a lot of small forwards or short mids that will start their careers as small forwards in this draft, and a lot of general defenders.

Clubs will know if they need a defender or small forward, they can find them in the second and third round. So they’re likely to prioritise kids who can play mid or project as future mids with early picks.

Gold Coast need mids, inside, outside, wing.

Brisbane’s head recruiter is already on record as saying we’re looking for mids and players who can play dual positions, such as general defence and mid. We’re also looking for a kid who can play both HBF and wing.

As much as I dislike Jeremy Sharp (because he’s soft), he has to be on our radar at either of our first two picks. So to Elijah Taylor at our second pick.

And Trent Rivers is exactly the type of kid Fagan likes and wants brought in. You can see Rivers slotting in to Hodge’s position as a general defender, the same role he played for WA at the U18 Champs. With a long term goal of moving him in to the midfield.

If Dylan Stephens, Will Gould and Brodie Kemp are off the board at our first pick, Rivers fits our profile better than any other kid rated as a top 25 prospect.

Nothing of interest on the Brisbane board?

Can we drop how much we pay him if he has a poor year? He missed half of last season, do we get that money back?

He signed a contract for a total value. Perhaps we can extend his deal but put most of the money at the end of his next deal.
Well if someone at the club is silly enough to front end his contract and he's being paid per year 20% above what his contract was per year and he deserves it, which I think he does despite having an injury interrupted year in 2018, then yes. Pay it.

have no confidence with any injury that our policies don't make them worse anyhow.

I'm sure it will compare, without going above with what Fyfe receives but in future stop front ending contracts!

I know Narkle from Geebung hasn’t been able to consistently crack the firsts and he’s recently had a touch of the McNamara’s at VFL level, but geeeeeez he’s a beautiful mover and user on his day. How long til he’s available?
Contacted till 2020, The kid can play most on the Geelong board rate him highly and want him in the AFL team

Well if someone at the club is silly enough to front end his contract and he's being paid per year 20% above what his contract was per year and he deserves it, which I think he does despite having an injury interrupted year in 2018, then yes. Pay it.

have no confidence with any injury that our policies don't make them worse anyhow.

I'm sure it will compare, without going above with what Fyfe receives but in future stop front ending contracts!
There is nothing wrong with front ending contracts that don't end up finishing at a free agency year. Hell the player is actually in front due to time value of money. If they think they aren't paid enough that should only be compare to the average value of the contract not the value in the last year.

There is nothing wrong with front ending contracts that don't end up finishing at a free agency year. Hell the player is actually in front due to time value of money. If they think they aren't paid enough that should only be compare to the average value of the contract not the value in the last year.

They should, but it looks more increasing that managers can be crafty about it by front loading, then on the backend leverage to get more or just go to another club.

Sharp and Stephens could easily play meaningfully next year. Both already playing league and doing well. Henry too in the forward half.

I'm not suggesting they can replace Billy and Ed, but that is really irrelevant because they are leaving whether we like it or not.

What makes you so sure Langdon is leaving? He delays signing a new contract each time it comes up which has never been an issue before..

Really depressing to keep losing gun players in the perfect age bracket for us... Hopefully we get Kelly and balance it out somewhat (although I reckon the role Hill plays is far, far more important than the role Kelly plays) but it's almost impossible to complete a rebuild if the foundations keep being weakened. Ed is a bit of a whipping boy of Freo supporters but he gets high possession numbers, runs hard and is lightning quick. We don't really have anyone on the list to replace him atm.

With all the doubts/uncertainties around draftees and even new recruits you very rarely get good value for a guy that's in the right age bracket and playing great footy (see the Lachie Neale deal). Can't help but feel we're going to end up missing the chance for another tilt during Fyfe/Walters prime if we trade em (even if it is probably the best decision if they are set on leaving).

I just still feel weird about Tim Kelly.

Last year wanted WC only as he wanted a flag I reckon. Told Freo to go eat a bag.

This year is a shot at a flag (which I hope they win because if he gets close and no cigar the drive to win one the following year will increase, then going to WC on less money is possible)

But then openly says he has "Warmed to freo" and that Money is number one driver. So his manager has told him that Freo is more likely to have the cash.

But how does a young fella that may have a brownlow, move to a side that is less likely at a flag.

I just feel down feel West Coast have been working all year on some plan.

HEADLINE - Nic Nat the saint puts himself on long term injury list to help the club free up salary cap to get TK

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just still feel weird about Tim Kelly.

Last year wanted WC only as he wanted a flag I reckon. Told Freo to go eat a bag.

This year is a shot at a flag (which I hope they win because if he gets close and no cigar the drive to win one the following year will increase, then going to WC on less money is possible)

But then openly says he has "Warmed to freo" and that Money is number one driver. So his manager has told him that Freo is more likely to have the cash.

But how does a young fella that may have a brownlow, move to a side that is less likely at a flag.

I just feel down feel West Coast have been working all year on some plan.

HEADLINE - Nic Nat the saint puts himself on long term injury list to help the club free up salary cap to get TK

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly wants money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should, but it looks more increasing that managers can be crafty about it by front loading, then on the backend leverage to get more or just go to another club.

Don't forget that the clubs and players both agree to what ever is in the contract, so I would just throw shade at Hill and his manager in this case cause Freo agreed to it all.
The contract you guys agreed to has resulted in you potentially being able to bend over anyone who wants him via trade.

This. He is 25, late starter and has the opportunity to set up his family. Freo (especially if we lose Hills) will have the cash
For Freo it will be dependant on what happens with BHill and to a lesser extent with Langdon. If reports are to be believed currently WC have the best monetary offer in front of T. Kelly. I would suggest that is only possible because we have some other players lined up and are hopeful of retaining one or both of BHill and Langdon. There is also of course SHill. I have loved SHill but he may need to explore FA if wants decent coin because we can’t afford him as much as say GCS when he sits on the pine for the majority of the season and also some Vic clubs will likely take the risk of 3 years which we cannot. At worst we will get band 3 (2nd round pick) or band 4 (end of 2nd round pick).

So should BHill go for a favourable trade then we can then offer Langdon more money. Then we can move onto T.Kelly and offer much more money to out trump both Geelong and WC. May mean we miss out on T.Kelly but I can’t see a deal with WC being sorted quickly. In fact I’m quite certain that Geelong will hold out to see what happens with Freo knowing that BHill or a much better draft pick is available and much better than pick 18 or 19 and or Chris Masten. Jarrod Brander is their best bet but WC won’t let him as also we won’t let go big Darcy.

Game of cat and mouse - everyone needs to be patient.

Last edited:
This. He is 25, late starter and has the opportunity to set up his family. Freo (especially if we lose Hills) will have the cash
Funny how it keeps getting reported the WC offer to Kelly is better then ours but maybe that is just the spin the WC media are putting out.

There has to be a tipping point for WCE, found this article:
And this article:
Added to big contracts recently sorted for Gaff (long contract), Naitanui, Darling (long contract), McGovern (long contract).

Only recent ones out the door that I can think of are Scott Lycett and Scott Selwood via FA.

Wonder if we can give Langdon a similar contract to that done by GWS on Kelly but a smaller scale. Say its 4 years with the option to terminate after 1 with a pretty good deal for next year. It would mean he can go if Ross goes, which may be a sticking point and would give us even more clout in Hill negotiations

If you are Langdon you are putting talks on hold until seasons end as you know BHill is planning on going. If he goes you are now the number one wingman and potentially in go a big pay day. His brother did the same at Collingwood last year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not a bad idea to throw some cash Langdon's way if Brad Hill departs, I'm pretty sure Langdon is only after a good contract rather than needing to move to Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back