Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ross comments are interesting. Could mean any number of things, maybe Brads partner wants to go and he wants to stay. He can look like he’s testing the waters to his partner but ultimately stay. Maybe she’s pregnant and they both want to leave. Maybe she’s ready to start a family but has to be in Melbourne. Those sort of plans can be parked for 1-2 years without major relationship issues. Maybe she has a sick family member and she’s gotta go regardless. Lots of possible reasons. Could mean anything from he’s staying to he’s going. Can’t read much into it, other than the media don’t know the full story.

Not too worried bout hill leaving yes he’s a gun but plenty of lads can play on a wing.

Saints give us pick 5-6 for him and we are in a great spot to get kelly or go to the draft.

Freo could have potentially 3 picks in top 20.. just need to get enough points for Henry.

Not too worried bout hill leaving yes he’s a gun but plenty of lads can play on a wing.

Saints give us pick 5-6 for him and we are in a great spot to get kelly or go to the draft.

Freo could have potentially 3 picks in top 20.. just need to get enough points for Henry.
Plenty of lads can play on-ball as well but there is a bit of difference in output between Fyfe and Jack Dunstan

Thinking about it now, the media stuff around the two players have been quite different. Hill has been "he is going to ask" and Langdon has been "looks likely to"

Reckon we might still be half a chance of keeping Ed

Ed won’t go. Lock him in. He chasing a bit of extra cash and Hillys decision greatly impacts his value to the club which is why he has put talks on hold.

Stephen is cooked so if we get a second round compo or better take it.

If we get BHills compo as a top 10 pick I would like to see us take it to the draft and effectively pick up 3 top 10 talents from the draft. Our first, Hill compo and Henry. Wingers are replaceable. Just ask how WC faired without Gaff in the 2018 second half of the season.

If we do this we as a club haven’t ever had access to the volume of top end talent that we will bring into the club in the 2017,18,19 trade/draft periods. Add next years first and Walker and western from our NGA and it makes it a very productive and exciting 4 year period for the club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In how many years times though? The draft can be a little overrated if you don't get the picks right.

lol this goes round and round and round....I think we all get that....you can trade in matures, not get that right, you can trade in guns and they break down very soon, you can keep what you've got cause you're seemingly sitting pretty and get a horror run of all sorts (Collingwood).

You might want to look at the posts by East Freo 75 and myself on this on Page 175...think it all there on both sides of the debate...just a suggestion.

Losing players for picks is like losing wheat for seed.

Duffield with some sanity in the paper saying whoever is coming for him best be prepared to pay the price cos Freo aren’t letting Hill go unless they win the trade
That's been my position all along. A combination of how much Ross openly professes his love for Brad and the the way we handled Weller (far inferior player) should tell you everything you need to know about how the trade is going to go down, if at all (I think it will). I also fully expect the receiving club knows that is the case too.

The AFL hasn't had an uncompromised draft in my living lifetime.

You could make an argument that the 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 18 flags were built with father son picks that were third round picks by default, priority picks before the draft and priority picks at the end of the first round which both Shuey and Darling were. etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately our record of bringing in players has been equally hit and miss.

Whats our success rate for picks 25 and below (not that we have had too many in the last 10 years)....not counting those who succumbed to injury or health issue like Pitt?. Fact is, the top 25 has an increasing scale of success in the last ten years probably because of better screening etc and other factors.

2009 Morabito and Fyfe
2010 Pitt Pick 20. (a relatively less talented year compared to others)
2011 Sheridan 16 Crozier 20 Alex Foster 29
2012 Josh Simpson 17 (after the first half dozen a relatively less talented draft) Tanner Smith 36
2013 Apeness 17 and Pearse 37
2014 Lachlan Weller13 and Conner Blakely 34 Ed (Langdon 54)
2015 Darcy Tucker 27, Harley Balic 38
2016 Griffin Logue 8 Sean Darcy 38 and (Brennan Cox 41 and Luke Ryan 66)
2017 Andrew Brayshaw 2 Adam Cerra 6 Hugh Dixon 44 (Mitch Crowden 59)
2018 Sam Sturt 17 and Luke Valente 32

Apart from injury and or illness to the players in bold...who the club persisted with
because they had shown the capacity to succeed and be good players..I think this has been an excellent effort of drafting
by Fremantle...well ahead of most other clubs.

Putting up those we traded in during the same period I hope Tayl0r will do ...would be interesting...I think we've done well there too.

Whats our success rate for picks 25 and below (not that we have had too many in the last 10 years)....not counting those who succumbed to injury or health issue like Pitt?. Fact is, the top 25 has an increasing scale of success in the last ten years probably because of better screening etc and other factors.

2009 Morabito and Fyfe
2012 Josh Simpson 17 (after the first half dozen a relatively less talented draft) Tanner Smith 36

Apart from injury and or illness to the players in bold...who the club persisted with
because they had shown the capacity to succeed and be good players..I think this has been an excellent effort of drafting

Putting up those we traded in during the same period I hope Tayl0r will do ...would be interesting...I think we've done well there too.
I think a true indication of our success with drafting is to see the 3 picks after each of our selections, obviously in hindsight.
Be extremely interesting to see who we could have drafted & how they have progressed in comparison to our selections. Might also give us an indication of how our development program has progressed.

I think a true indication of our success with drafting is to see the 3 picks after each of our selections, obviously in hindsight.
Be extremely interesting to see who we could have drafted & how they have progressed in comparison to our selections. Might also give us an indication of how our development program has progressed.

There is no point in doing this, particularly if you only do it for one club.

If you do it for all then it shows is that all clubs have "missed" a lot of talent and/or that talent development is an extreme victim of circumstance.

The AFL hasn't had an uncompromised draft in my living lifetime.

You could make an argument that the 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 18 flags were built with father son picks that were third round picks by default, priority picks before the draft and priority picks at the end of the first round which both Shuey and Darling were. etc.

I’m assuming you’re counting COLA for Sydney yea?

Rance was a PS btw.

You’re going way back before 2000 before you see a Premier without a FS or PS in the team. Farmer better be good.

That's been my position all along. A combination of how much Ross openly professes his love for Brad and the the way we handled Weller (far inferior player) should tell you everything you need to know about how the trade is going to go down, if at all (I think it will). I also fully expect the receiving club knows that is the case too.
Yeah, I get too worked up reading others idea of the trade. I have no doubt St Kilda are planning to offer up there 1st immediately. I just hope we're allowed to ship him to the highest bidder, would make it interesting.

Tim Watson: "Hill has improved dramatically since he left Hawthorn, is worth a pick 5-10"
Hawthorn supporter (this was actually said): Watson worried he will choose us by the sounds of it, he's anti-hawthorn. Hill worth a late teens pick at best

I personally have ploughed through it all many times....and satisfied with my statement. Footywire/Draft/Year and pen and paper or a word doc ...good luck

Yeah, I get too worked up reading others idea of the trade. I have no doubt St Kilda are planning to offer up there 1st immediately. I just hope we're allowed to ship him to the highest bidder, would make it interesting.

Tim Watson: "Hill has improved dramatically since he left Hawthorn, is worth a pick 5-10"
Hawthorn supporter (this was actually said): Watson worried he will choose us by the sounds of it, he's anti-hawthorn. Hill worth a late teens pick at best
Agree, Saints will offer up their first in the hope that is all it takes but I am sure we will be starting at 2xfirsts and possibly budging a little from there.

All clubs have a portion (its rather high judging from BF) of delusional supporters and this doesn't surprise me in the least.

2009 Morabito and Fyfe

2014 and 2016 really standing out as the ones we got right.

2011 should be the one that carried us from 2015 (Sherridan, Croz, Neale, Sutty, Spurr, Schloith, Menegola, C. Pearce)

We picked good players in 2014 but could well see 4 players at 4 different clubs next year (Weller - GCS, Blakely - Freo, Langdon - ?, Deluca - Carl) - We also picked up Hughes as a Rookie.

2014 and 2016 really standing out as the ones we got right.

2011 should be the one that carried us from 2015 (Sherridan, Croz, Neale, Sutty, Spurr, Schloith, Menegola, C. Pearce)

We picked good players in 2014 but could well see 4 players at 4 different clubs next year (Weller - GCS, Blakely - Freo, Langdon - ?, Deluca - Carl) - We also picked up Hughes as a Rookie.

Such a fine line, Pitt could have still been playing, Apeness just needed the knees' right at the start (but was a poor pick imop cause he already had an issue), Morabito...imagine if he was there with Fyfe still.

I was really disappointed with Joel Houghton, had the talent to be really good I thought but suspect the headspace not right etc and fell away, still playing though for EPerth. Mora, Fyfe and Houghton what could have been. Thankfully Fyfe made up for them a bit.

Last edited:
So its been about 2 days since I last made a long redundant trade suggestion and I'm therefore well over-due

I'm going to assume that both Melbourne and St Kilda are desperate for Hill, as I believe they well and truly are, and present two options. Assuming we basically wont trade Hill unless we get a mature age player and win the trade, there are two obvious ones we'll be after.

Trade scenario one
Freo
Out: Hill, 25
In: Kelly, 32

Geelong
Out: Kelly, 32
In: 5, Steven,

St Kilda
Out: 5, Steven
In: Hill, 25

I've posted similar before and I personally thinks its close to spot on despite what St Kilda peeps think since 25 is overs for a 30 year old with health concerns.

Trade Scenario Two
Freo
Out: Hill, pick 8
In: Brayshaw, pick 2 (might be three after GC get their grubby hands on a pp)

Melbourne
Out: Brayshaw, pick 2
In: Hill, pick 8

On top of that, GC hopefully get a fat wad of salary cap exempt player cash to splurge on SHill to give us a 2nd round compo.

Assuming the Hill are gone, would we rather finish trade period with;
a) Kelly, 8, 26, 32; or
b) Brayshaw, 2, 25, 26

I'd personally rather b. Melbourne just might be desperate enough if they cant get Langdon but I think it would be a very tough sell

So its been about 2 days since I last made a long redundant trade suggestion and I'm therefore well over-due

I'm going to assume that both Melbourne and St Kilda are desperate for Hill, as I believe they well and truly are, and present two options. Assuming we basically wont trade Hill unless we get a mature age player and win the trade, there are two obvious ones we'll be after.

Trade scenario one
Freo
Out: Hill, 25
In: Kelly, 32

Geelong
Out: Kelly, 32
In: 5, Steven,

St Kilda
Out: 5, Steven
In: Hill, 25

I've posted similar before and I personally thinks its close to spot on despite what St Kilda peeps think since 25 is overs for a 30 year old with health concerns.

Trade Scenario Two
Freo
Out: Hill, pick 8
In: Brayshaw, pick 2 (might be three after GC get their grubby hands on a pp)

Melbourne
Out: Brayshaw, pick 2
In: Hill, pick 8

On top of that, GC hopefully get a fat wad of salary cap exempt player cash to splurge on SHill to give us a 2nd round compo.

Assuming the Hill are gone, would we rather finish trade period with;
a) Kelly, 8, 26, 32; or
b) Brayshaw, 2, 25, 26

I'd personally rather b. Melbourne just might be desperate enough if they cant get Langdon but I think it would be a very tough sell
I like option b as it has potential to turn pick 2 into multiple 1st rounders in an even draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back