Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His lack of form is mostly from being played out of position this year.
This is true, Melbourne have a midfield worth of inside mids and no outside players. Brayshaw is the most capable of playing a hard running role so he got shunted outside.

This is where the swap of Hill for Brayshaw would be a massive win for Melbourne. They are moving on a player they don't need for an elite (as in top 2 in the league in that position, I actually believe he is the #1 winger) outside player. It makes them instantly better and Fremantle lose significantly.

Brad Hill isn't replaceable. We can try, but the best winger in the league doesn't get matched by the existing AFL players, let alone a rookie.

Back ending is a great idea.

Prevents poaching.

Too bad they didn’t do that with Neale instead of front loading.
The potential danger of it is that if Hill still requested a trade he would be carrying a significant salary cap baggage into the new club and even though they always sign a new deal, in process they take over the existing contract first and they will use that to leverage the trade price down.

Brad Hill with two cheap years, the best winger in the league and mid twenties, contracted for two years. Two first round picks. Melbourne want him, pick #2 and their first next year. It won't be a top ten pick.

If he wants more money why not hand it over? He’s one of our top 5 players

More money for a player that’s ALREADY contacted for 2 Years???

We have Alex Pearce and Luke Ryan out of contract next year. We don’t have spare money for greedy players who want to renegotiate contracts.

I’d rather keep Alex Pearce and Luke Ryan over B.Hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The potential danger of it is that if Hill still requested a trade he would be carrying a significant salary cap baggage into the new club and even though they always sign a new deal, in process they take over the existing contract first and they will use that to leverage the trade price down.

Brad Hill with two cheap years, the best winger in the league and mid twenties, contracted for two years. Two first round picks. Melbourne want him, pick #2 and their first next year. It won't be a top ten pick.
The idea to extend another two years.

Geesh you learnt from watching Lloyd didn't you

Port did ok this year with Rozze and co.
Duuxsma and Rozee are not midfielders yet and play high forward/backs.

Sure Walsh has made impact straight away but the exception that proves the rule.

To expect two kids playing their first couple of years full time in the midfield is unrealistic.

B Hill is one of the best outside players in the game and Langdon is pretty good as well.

yes but why is the real question...issues between coach and player, or nursing an injury, or something else.
Mostly because Jack Viney is back after missing 15 games in 2018.

It’s no coincidence that Brayshaw couldn’t crack the Melbourne team at the beginning of last year, but as soon as Viney went down, Brayshaw was moved on to the ball and started racking up Brownlow votes for fun.

Melbourne have to many inside mids and almost no quality outside mids or wingers (or small forwards or half back flankers).

If Brad Hill leaves Langdon would want more coin and could probably get it. There’s some cat and mouse going on.

Hopefully Carlton or Melbourne want him and we can start asking for early picks or a solid player and later pick.

Someone mentioned Zac Fisher. I love this bloke. Great starting point.

Sure Walsh has made impact straight away but the exception that proves the rule.

To expect two kids playing their first couple of years full time in the midfield is unrealistic.

B Hill is one of the best outside players in the game and Langdon is pretty good as well.

Outside mids and small forwards can make an impact earlier.

They will be hard to replace, but some extent Tucker can have an impact plus a few others as well.

Can't wait for Freo to hold on to Brad Hill and get completely obliterated by the media while Geelong were glorified for keeping Tim Kelly even tho he has a young family including a kid with autism

If I remember correctly we put an offer to Geelong that they were willing to look at but Kelly made it very clear it was WCE only. Kelly could have gone about thing differently if he really wanted to leave Geelong.

Mostly because Jack Viney is back after missing 15 games in 2018.

It’s no coincidence that Brayshaw couldn’t crack the Melbourne team at the beginning of last year, but as soon as Viney went down, Brayshaw was moved on to the ball and started racking up Brownlow votes for fun.

Melbourne have to many inside mids and almost no quality outside mids or wingers (or small forwards or half back flankers).
Maybe, one the reasons Melbourne fell this year because they played Viney in the middle instead of Brayshaw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose both Langdon and BHill I’m sure we have mature players to trade in. As mentioned if BHill goes we would have more cash to offer Langdon and still bring in some players. We’re not going into free fall. BHill won’t be easily replaceable whereas Langdon is. Therefore we need a really good deal for BHill.

End up with say a Fisher for our early second pick, keep Langdon and get ourselves pick 5 for BHill. Always possibilities.

Oh we’re still playing along with the homesick girlfriend angle are we?

He wants a more money. It’s that simple. He wanted it last year and was told no, he changed managers and is going again. It’s pretty simple.

People will say but he’s contracted, Hill has leverage because his manager has fu.cking 18 Freo players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol wtf? If it was money, we'd give it to him. I roll my eyes that people always think players leave our club for money.

Rivers probably too high at 15 ...maybe 20+. But definitely would be one we are interested in ...would need a little more time to develop for AFL
You might be over estimating the strength of this years draft.

I can easily see both Gold Coast and Brisbane selecting Rivers with our mid teens picks.

After say the top 10, this draft really opens up. How clubs rate the kids will be heavily influenced by club needs.

There aren’t many top tier mids this year, and quite a lot of the “decent” mids are short. And in general, AFL clubs don’t like short mids unless they are exceptional.

This draft has a 2017 feel about it. Did anyone expect Brisbane to select Brandon Starcevich with a top 20 pick then?

There are almost no KPP’s worth using a first round pick on, there are no top quality wingers, only one decent outside mid in Dylan Stephens.

There are a lot of small forwards or short mids that will start their careers as small forwards in this draft, and a lot of general defenders.

Clubs will know if they need a defender or small forward, they can find them in the second and third round. So they’re likely to prioritise kids who can play mid or project as future mids with early picks.

Gold Coast need mids, inside, outside, wing.

Brisbane’s head recruiter is already on record as saying we’re looking for mids and players who can play dual positions, such as general defence and mid. We’re also looking for a kid who can play both HBF and wing.

As much as I dislike Jeremy Sharp (because he’s soft), he has to be on our radar at either of our first two picks. So to Elijah Taylor at our second pick.

And Trent Rivers is exactly the type of kid Fagan likes and wants brought in. You can see Rivers slotting in to Hodge’s position as a general defender, the same role he played for WA at the U18 Champs. With a long term goal of moving him in to the midfield.

If Dylan Stephens, Will Gould and Brodie Kemp are off the board at our first pick, Rivers fits our profile better than any other kid rated as a top 25 prospect.

Walsh will have a few great years then someone with a brain in the media will ask if he finds all this space because he is allowed to, because he burns it by foot so much.

Port did ok this year with Rozze and co.
The standard of this years draft crop is not the same as last year.

You could pick any of last years top 6 draftees and they would be comfortably be number 1 this year. By a margin.

Xavier Duursma who was pick 16 last year, would be in discussion as a top 5 pick this year.

Holy **** I have never been more angry reading an article. Hill is going to Victoria? Is he ****ing now? That's funny because I could have sworn he's been here for three years on a supposedly front-loaded deal and has two ****ing years to run on a contract.

The article conveniently rules out the Kelly move "coz ****ing reasons"

Ok, you *******, here are some other examples of players with years left on their contract that have been held over regardless and I'll start in order of least relevance.

1) Ryan O'Keefe: Was told by Swans he was too valuable to trade, won a premiership as a result from memory, re-signed.
2) Cam McCarthy: We were told to **** off with our two first round picks
3) Bryce Gibbs: Too important to Carlton to lose, Adelaide didnt want to pony up the picks to get him, took him the next year for the picks they didnt want to lose and got royally ****ed as a result. Didnt hurt Carlton though
4) Jack Stevens: Literally last year he asked to move to Geelong to be closer with family as he was struggling. 2 years on the contract, told he was too important.

Brad Hill will be traded if we God damn feel like it and only if the deal benefits us, otherwise, he will be staying with us. If we let him walk for anything less than a top 10 pick and change or quality mature player in return, I will grab a 1000 feathers, find Bell and sew every damn one of them into his cap until he looks a normal sized turkey

Holy fu** I have never been more angry reading an article. Hill is going to Victoria? Is he ******* now? That's funny because I could have sworn he's been here for three years on a supposedly front-loaded deal and has two ******* years to run on a contract.

The article conveniently rules out the Kelly move "coz ******* reasons"

Ok, you *******, here are some other examples of players with years left on their contract that have been held over regardless and I'll start in order of least relevance.

1) Ryan O'Keefe: Was told by Swans he was too valuable to trade, won a premiership as a result from memory, re-signed.
2) Cam McCarthy: We were told to fu** off with our two first round picks
3) Bryce Gibbs: Too important to Carlton to lose, Adelaide didnt want to pony up the picks to get him, took him the next year for the picks they didnt want to lose and got royally f’ed as a result. Didnt hurt Carlton though
4) Jack Stevens: Literally last year he asked to move to Geelong to be closer with family as he was struggling. 2 years on the contract, told he was too important.

Brad Hill will be traded if we God damn feel like it and only if the deal benefits us, otherwise, he will be staying with us. If we let him walk for anything less than a top 10 pick and change or quality mature player in return, I will grab a 1000 feathers, find Bell and sew every damn one of them into his cap until he looks a normal sized turkey
Seeing as you brought up Jack Stevens.

Bad drop of form, taking time away to deal with mental health/personal issues.

He will be dealt to Geelong this trade period. Most likely for less than he was worth last year.

This is a potential scenario with BHill if kept to his contract.

He will be dealt to Geelong this trade period. Most likely for less than he was worth last year.

Doubt it with Hill, they seem to be very very different people

Yes im sure Jack Stevens mental health issues can be attributed to not being traded 30 minutes up the road.

Why are you here?

Youngs methods are so blatant and ham fisted it almost makes me feel like he isn't actually particularly smart but has succeeded through his preparedness to stick to them (and total lack of scruple and ability to feel embarrassment too of course). Sort of like a Trump of of the player agent world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back