2019 non-freo nonchalance (aka discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee when Richmond's stars are down, one way or the other, some of their lesser lights look decidedly average..... Butler, Graham, Costanza.
Hopefully Riewoldt's injury is not serious.
On a positive note, how much joy has Pendlebury given the footy public over the years?
It's a privilege to watch him scythe through the opposition, except when it's us of course.

Reiwaldt is such a sook
Gee when Richmond's stars are down, one way or the other, some of their lesser lights look decidedly average..... Butler, Graham, Costanza.
On a positive note, how much joy has Pendlebury given the footy public over the years?
It's a privilege to watch him scythe through the opposition, except when it's us of course.
Richmond winning a flag still ****s with my head

Collingwood have definitely gone past them. I don't get the whole Richmond romance thing in the medja

Richmond look lost without Rance marshalling the defence. If Riewoldt has a sagnificant wrist injury, their season could well and truly be cooked. The look like a contempt team of players and there’s something not right with Dusty... doesn’t look interested and just cruising.
Martin is clearly not right mentally. Think Richmond just want him on the park regardless

The Pies looked far superior to the Tigers tonight. Richmond have some issues, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them slip a bit this year. Their depth is questionable.
I enjoyed seeing Mayne play well again, got some career highs and he’s well entrenched in their team now. Looks like a win-win for both clubs (more for us though, given we got B. Hill with that pick)
Always had questionable depth. Richmond has been very, VERY lucky with their injuries. Hardly any of their star players- Martin, Rance, Cotchin, Riewoldt- have played less then 20 games a season since 2015. Either an amazing fitness/conditioning staff or luck. Who knows. But now their key players out, testing their depth. They don’t have it IMO.
We loss Pavlich for large period in 2013, mcpharlin wasn’t 100% for those years. Fyfe was out with shoulder issues. Had that team and game plan in place to cover it. Can Richmond do that, and fast? Tom Lynch will have to earn his money’s worth now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quick, but deceptively. Players like Pendlebury and Mundy have it in spades. The way David keeps playing without the speed or acceleration (or so we think.. it’s all deceptive) is a joy to watch. That goal with Fyfe. Delicious

Richmond were lazy, hardly laid a hard tackle, continually kicked lollypops allowing Pies players to get to their opponents and spoil, and Dusty would prefer to be somewhere else.

Pies kicked short, sharp, and to chests and kept control like Hawks used to, and I remember Richmond did to us a few years back and demolished us in a quarter. Brisbane did the same to WC last week.

Riewoldt out with a fractured radius and ruptured ligament; out for 4 weeks (which seems a tad optimistic IMO). Big test for the tigs for the first half of the season.

Martin is clearly not right mentally. Think Richmond just want him on the park regardless

Dusty Martin has been able to use plenty of physical pressure on his opposition to assist his football in recent years.
During his peak (Brownlow) season of 2017, he would regularly push his opponents out of the contest without much risk of being penalised by the umps.
In Thursday night's game, Collingwood got the better end of the umpires whistle, and Martin was again successfully tagged by Collingwood. They also shut him down in the 2018 Prelim and they have done this both times without giving away any free kicks to Dusty.
Don't get me wrong, I think Dusty is brilliant and I enjoy watching Richmond games because of him, but I don't think I'm being too outlandish by suggesting that he isn't getting things as easy now as he did in 2017, both with umpires and team success. That can have a mental drain on you.
(NB: In 2017, 37 Frees For - 44 Frees Against, so far in 2019 0 FF - 4 FA, throughout his career in games where he got 3 Brownlow Votes 33 FF - 34 FA, in his career games where he got no Brownlow Votes 114 FF - 182 FA).

I agree, the first thing every midfield coach has done coming into a Richmond game is drill deflecting the fend off and tackling him. Martin will need to adapt so his first move isn't towards the opponent, like it is now, to being away - he isn't slow but his really good trick has been figured out.

^^ Yep

Round one he got caught holding like 3 times in the centre... I remember the commentators saying that they have figured it out, don't let the palm make contact. Easier said than done but everyone is expecting it around Dusty now.

Anyone read the articles about AFL threatening to sue a small business for creating a Tayla Harris t-shirt and selling it with proceeds going to a charity?

Titus nailed it:

I agree, the first thing every midfield coach has done coming into a Richmond game is drill deflecting the fend off and tackling him. Martin will need to adapt so his first move isn't towards the opponent, like it is now, to being away - he isn't slow but his really good trick has been figured out.

I believe the next step is smuggling chopsticks out on to the field.

Pretty clear Richmond wouldn't cope without Conca o_O

They actually probably are. They always had a few "non-stars" that behind the scenes did a lot of grunt work. Conca was definitely one of the main ones. They had something like 6 players not lay a tackle last night.... Insane.

I'm already sick of that shit.

A few guys around us at the game v North got up and did the dance/chant (doo doo doo etc.) to chelsea dagger after some of the later goals. Think there was about 4-5 of us all up, standing and dancing. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back