Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Big losers are GWS.

Before trading they held 12 & 18 and a full suite of 2020 picks and had a mortgage on Green. Could have matched Green and still had pick 18 and a full 2020 set of picks.

To get Ash they effectively lost pick 18 and First and second rounder next year so Ash probably cost them minimum 2 x pick 18 and pick 36. He'd want to be good. Think Melbourne knocking them pack for pick 3 and Crows reaming them to get a two pick upgrade ahead of Swans hurt them.

How do you know clubs wouldn't have bid on Green earlier if we didn't do the pick swaps?

Depending on how our academy boys go next year (Green's brother), I don't think we will want a late first next year.

How do you know clubs wouldn't have bid on Green earlier if we didn't do the pick swaps?

Depending on how our academy boys go next year (Green's brother), I don't think we will want a late first next year.

Even hypothetically if you kept the picks your pick 12 would have gone, 18 shifted.

Yay keeping a first next year when your first might be pick 30 (at best)...

I’d rather take a top 4 pick this year personally

Like the way Carlton played it, at least keeping Freo and GWS vaguely honest. I think Melbourne should have swung on Green at 3, really. Don't just hand the Giants a free gun.

From what little I know (video highlights, other people's analysis), Kemp looks a risk worth taking. Has a huge frame and versatile skillset. At 17 seems a bargain.

Who knows on Philp pick. I disagree with the Blues' approach on that pick - I think you take the "sure thing" when you split a pick and take the high-upside gamble on the first one. But he does bring some interesting attributes. Saw someone posted his 20m sprint time was quicker than Petruccelle's, and that guy has serious wheels.

Freo look to have gone on a fantastic shopping spree, loading up on varied and highly-rated talent. Ridiculous that clubs let GWS get Green AND Ash.

I suppose I need reassurance. We don't often get a very early draft pick and perhaps choose a potential champ.

I know Stephens is good, perhaps a future champ...but I cant stop seeing Nic Fosdike.

Fast fair haired lightly built Norwood left foot winger.

We took Fosdike at 3 instead of our home grown talent Hayes who slid to 10ish. Fosdike was a damn good footballer and loved him, but sheeeesh...probably not the best call we've made with hindsight.

I need to shake this image in my head. Seems a brilliant kid, and we all know that Norwood wingers are the cream of the crop, right ?

I tend to agree, but there are a lot of NGA and FS picks around next season and clubs are wary about getting the tables turned on them I believe.

9 and 10 for Henry and Green is more than reasonable. Consider our need for a gun small forward and Greens talent.

Lucky we don’t have any gun academy kids next year. About the only club that doesn’t ...

9 and 10 for Henry and Green is more than reasonable. Consider our need for a gun small forward and Greens talent.

Lucky we don’t have any gun academy kids next year. About the only club that doesn’t ...

You’ll trade your first next year probably maybe for Papley for instance depending on how that plays out

Good on Carlton for bidding on players.
Beats me why more clubs don't do this.
I don’t really see the point in bidding unless you’re doing it with a top 5 pick your chances of getting that player are very low as clubs always tend to match the bid in the process you just piss that club off and make any future deals with them a lot more difficult!

Winners: Freo, GC & GWS

Don’t like: Adelaide

Missed the top end SA talent in Stephens...think the plan was to trade down to take Stephens and trade back in to take McAsey but it didn’t work. Did the same last year by letting Port come from the clouds to grab Rozee. For a team that has had interstate player retention issues they seem to be missed opportunity’s. Could be wrong though.

Okay: The rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like the way Carlton played it, at least keeping Freo and GWS vaguely honest. I think Melbourne should have swung on Green at 3, really. Don't just hand the Giants a free gun.

From what little I know (video highlights, other people's analysis), Kemp looks a risk worth taking. Has a huge frame and versatile skillset. At 17 seems a bargain.

Who knows on Philp pick. I disagree with the Blues' approach on that pick - I think you take the "sure thing" when you split a pick and take the high-upside gamble on the first one. But he does bring some interesting attributes. Saw someone posted his 20m sprint time was quicker than Petruccelle's, and that guy has serious wheels.

Freo look to have gone on a fantastic shopping spree, loading up on varied and highly-rated talent. Ridiculous that clubs let GWS get Green AND Ash.
Imo if Melbourne bid on Green at 3, GWS wouldn't have matched and then would have taken Jackson instead. Leaving Melbourne with another 1 paced inside midfielder. Melbourne played it right by not bidding imo.

Winners: Freo, GC & GWS

Don’t like: Adelaide

Missed the top end SA talent in Stephens...think the plan was to trade down to take Stephens and trade back in to take McAsey but it didn’t work. Did the same last year by letting Port come from the clouds to grab Rozee. For a team that has had interstate player retention issues they seem to be missed opportunity’s. Could be wrong though.

Okay: The rest.

What a surprise,

Stephens was gone before Adelaides pick so how could they lose him? Adelaide got the player they wanted and everyone knew they wanted McAsey. Now we have 24 and 25 tonight to take local players. Plus GWS first pick next year

I don’t really see the point in bidding unless you’re doing it with a top 5 pick your chances of getting that player are very low as clubs always tend to match the bid in the process you just piss that club off and make any future deals with them a lot more difficult!

The points/bidding system only works if clubs bid on players at an appropriate time in the draft - if clubs take the approach of "well, GWS will just match and we won't get him, so we may as well not bid" then you just end up with Academy players being free (like GC are getting...).

Freo should have bid on Green, and if Carlton didn't bid on Henry then Melbourne certainly should have with the next pick.

End of the day, both GWS and Freo set themselves up well to capitalise on the expected bid ranges. GWS knew Gold Coast and Melbourne wouldn't bid, so traded up to 4, Freo knew Carlton were the earliest interested team for Henry and traded up to 8. Freo also clearly had an in-principal agreement with Port to shuffle some picks if an early bid came, which is good planning.

Stoked with what the Blues were able to do. Setting aside the academy bids, we had three ideal targets inside the top 10, but when they all got taken before our pick we traded down to a position that netted the highly rated Kemp, and gave us a free hit at addressing a need for speed (sorry) with Philp. In what is clearly a fairly even draft pool, most clubs seem to be taking the same approach and drafting for needs. When players 15-35 are all "thereabouts", it makes a lot of sense to prioritise those who add something a list lacks.

What a surprise,

Stephens was gone before Adelaides pick so how could they lose him? Adelaide got the player they wanted and everyone knew they wanted McAsey. Now we have 24 and 25 tonight to take local players. Plus GWS first pick next year

Do feel like you guys missed an opportunity to get some incremental improvement elsewhere by trading back down to 9 with us. I don't know what each club's expectations were in those discussions, but McAsey wasn't going to Freo so there was no risk on your part. For the optics, you'd probably have wanted a future second rounder, I reckon we'd have been offering a third given it was no skin off your back to accept anyway.

Probably not a great loss for the Crows to have not done the deal, but on face value I think it would have been a freebie worth taking.

Imo if Melbourne bid on Green at 3, GWS wouldn't have matched and then would have taken Jackson instead. Leaving Melbourne with another 1 paced inside midfielder. Melbourne played it right by not bidding imo.

Yeh I can see that line, too. Green could be seen as surplus to requirements at Melbourne. Still, if he’s half as good as advertised, not a bad result to get him anywhere from 3 onwards. Dees could always trade out other plodders for different style players (surprised they didn’t this off season, actually).

What a surprise,

I'd say Carlton are the big risk. Kemp has talent but already recovering from an ACL - how many juniors having ACL's have gone on unhindered by the injury in their career after recovery?. Lever was one from recent past who was picked after recovering from an ACL and he has done his ACL again. That one is a very high risk / reward pick. Philp - one from left field with the quality of players on the board at that pick. Many mock drafts had Philp being picked mid 30's onwards.

As for the crows, McAsey was locked in and most knew it. He is an absolute need for the club. It remains to be seen what they do with picks 24 & 25 - but there are still some very handy players still on the board that no doubt the club will be very happy to get

Do feel like you guys missed an opportunity to get some incremental improvement elsewhere by trading back down to 9 with us. I don't know what each club's expectations were in those discussions, but McAsey wasn't going to Freo so there was no risk on your part. For the optics, you'd probably have wanted a future second rounder, I reckon we'd have been offering a third given it was no skin off your back to accept anyway.

Probably not a great loss for the Crows to have not done the deal, but on face value I think it would have been a freebie worth taking.

It looked like you guys were only trading down to get Stephens before Fremantle. With Sydney taking Stephens it looked like the trade between Adelaide and Carlton was off. Can’t do a trade if there wasn’t a trade to make

What a surprise,

You had pick 4 Stephens went at 5.

Did you even read what I wrote? You do have pick 24 and 25 and some players have slide so good luck to you. It’s just an opinion and I don’t like that you could of had home grown elite talent in Rozee and Stephens.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but it was pretty well publicised that he way being looked at by Melbourne, Carlton, Hawks, Dogs and Adelaide
lol well Melbourne had two earlier picks and didn't go for him, Carlton had two later picks and I think every Carlton fan would be happy with their haul and wouldn't trade either player for Weightman, and Adelaide have never been linked to him.

But you are missing the point, you were trolling other clubs for reaching, when your club went early for Weightman, who I have no doubt would have been available for clubs to draft tonight if Doggies didn't pull the trigger on him.

Philp - one from left field with the quality of players on the board at that pick. Many mock drafts had Philp being picked mid 30's onwards.
Even more in the 20s, and at least 2 recruiting managers evidently had him at 20 or so.

Add to that practically every pundit has called it an incredibly even draft.

Only Carlton could be knocked for blowing a first round pick they created out of nothing, on a kid many projected to go around that pick.

It looked like you guys were only trading down to get Stephens before Fremantle. With Sydney taking Stephens it looked like the trade between Adelaide and Carlton was off. Can’t do a trade if there wasn’t a trade to make

Had heard we were happy to do the deal to get either Young or Serong too.

Young, Serong, Stephens - they were the three we had our eye on for Pick 9.

If Sydney went Flanders and you guys took McAsey, we'd have had one of the three without needing to trade. If you guys took Stephens, we'd have been looking to trade down with one of the clubs angling for McAsey (Geelong, Port, Hawthorn). Talk filtered in late yesterday that Sydney were going for Stephens, which is around the same time the Carlton/Adelaide trade talk leaked as well - presumably with Stephens gone, and you guys after McAsey, the only way we'd be able to get Young or Serong was to trade up to 6.

SOS, when interviewed post-draft, confirmed there had been discussions with you guys on a swap of 6 and 9, but that an agreement wasn't able to be reached. Journo asked if it was because Adelaide wanted a future first involved, SOS told them he wasn't one to kiss and tell, and that the discussions between the two clubs would stay between the two clubs. My interpretation, said journalist had been given a tip on what tanked the trade and was fishing for confirmation - could be wrong, but that's how it looks to my eye. Can't blame Adelaide for trying to get a bit extra out of us for free, but do think that anything we gave you to facilitate the swap would have been pure gravy for you guys and you probably should have done the deal. Though maybe we knew that and were being ultra-stingey and offering a fourth rounder which may not have held any value for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back