Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh I can see that line, too. Green could be seen as surplus to requirements at Melbourne. Still, if he’s half as good as advertised, not a bad result to get him anywhere from 3 onwards. Dees could always trade out other plodders for different style players (surprised they didn’t this off season, actually).
GWS are probably the one side that could afford not to match a Green bid. As good as he is, he will still struggle early on to break into that midfield. Add in the fact they took Hately, Caldwell and O'Halloran last year and it makes it even harder.

Even more in the 20s, and at least 2 recruiting managers evidently had him at 20 or so.

Add to that practically every pundit has called it an incredibly even draft.

Only Carlton could be knocked for blowing a first round pick they created out of nothing, on a kid many projected to go around that pick.
time will tell and the comparisons will be against the guy that was taken with pick 9 (flanders) that Carlton had

I'd say Carlton are the big risk. Kemp has talent but already recovering from an ACL - how many juniors having ACL's have gone on unhindered by the injury in their career after recovery?. Lever was one from recent past who was picked after recovering from an ACL and he has done his ACL again. That one is a very high risk / reward pick. Philp - one from left field with the quality of players on the board at that pick. Many mock drafts had Philp being picked mid 30's onwards.

As for the crows, McAsey was locked in and most knew it. He is an absolute need for the club. It remains to be seen what they do with picks 24 & 25 - but there are still some very handy players still on the board that no doubt the club will be very happy to get
Correct it is a risk but I think trading down twice has mitigated it. Seems like Serong was our man so it’s Stocker, Kemp & Philp Vs Serong and pick 55 for Carlton.

Risk is an interesting concept when it comes to Melbourne's picks.

I understand the risk on Jackson is there's a chance he doesn't put it together and become a gun ruck, but if that's the case he also has a very high floor in just becoming a nice steady solid ruck. Sure you can get them for cheap but I guess if worst case scenario is a player like Kreuzer well that's still a lot of decent games.

Pickett - yeah the production is low and who knows how well he adapts to Melbourne and a professional career but assuming all that goes well isn't he at least a steady small forward?

Midfielders and flankers seem the safer choice but if they aren't any good then eventually they find themselves out of teams. Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I feel like Melbourne's picks have a high risk of being superstars but if they get a baseline level they'll be spots in sides for them for a long time.

I posted recently about it, Jackson makes sense, Gawn is 28 this year, by the time he's fading Jackson should have a mature body and be ready to own the ruck spot.

Pickett looks great, love his highlight reel with the body contact, pace and passing.

Maybe there was a need for other spots but as players i don't see either being a bad pick.

Sadly Kreuzer's talent has been limited by injury, talentwise he was worth the no. 1 pick.

Last edited:
Correct it is a risk but I think trading down twice has mitigated it. Seems like Serong was our man so it’s Stocker, Kemp & Philp Vs Serong and pick 55 for Carlton.

I don’t think you can throw Stocker in there. It has nothing to do with the trade made with GC last night.

It is Kemp and Philp v Serong and pick 55

Would any kid be excited about going to the GC though, ahead of other clubs, particularly when they didn't see it coming?
if they're mature enough to make the move and have the self belief GC would be a good place to go.

There's a strong group about the same age with a heap of talent, they should be up and about in the next few years.

I don’t think you can throw Stocker in there. It has nothing to do with the trade made with GC last night.

It is Kemp and Philp v Serong and pick 55

In that case it’s not Serong it’s flanders.

We only get Serong it we had pick 4 so yes it is Stocker, kemp and Philp v Serong and 55.

Unless I’m missing something?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heh, yep we're furious with three first round picks when we could have settled for one.
What if that one pick ends up being as good or better than Walsh. Last year you might have got 3 1st round picks for pick 1 but SOS would have none of it. Point is that only time will tell whether the 3 players picked are better than the one you forfeited

Carlton could’ve turned pick 9 into Kemp and Robertson which would’ve been nearly the craziest (at the time of the draft) haul ever from that sort of a pick.

Instead they drafted 1 gun who slid probably 10 picks too far in Kemp but massively reached on the next pick for what looks to be a meh player.

meh 🤷‍♂️

How are you mad when you got a top 10 talent for the equivalent of a couple of picks in the 40s?

You should be laughing that this system is in place and you are able to get the benefits.
Not 'mad' mate. Just amazed how poorly SOS came out of this. He quickly became the laughing Stocker.

I can see why you guys showed him the door. Not many friends left now. Oh well. CFC can rebuild now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2019 - Revisit the 2019 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back