No Oppo Supporters 2019 Trade and FA period - Incoming Targets news discussion - read the rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh can't see us geting crouch when a selling point to go to gold coast was money, seems to be chasing a pay day . We won't even be close to a gold coast offer .
True but Adelaide and GC seemingly will be out of contention for a few years now and quite possibly whilst he is playing his best football.

Not many players want to play for bottom feeders, even on a hefty pay day.

Our selling point will be success, make no mistake, he will add a lot to our midfield mix. This isn't the first time Clarko has made a strong pitch for Crouch.

True but Adelaide and GC seemingly will be out of contention for a few years now and quite possibly whilst he is playing his best football.

Not many players want to play for bottom feeders, even on a hefty pay day.

Our selling point will be success, make no mistake, he will add a lot to our midfield mix. This isn't the first time Clarko has made a strong pitch for Crouch.

Agree that Clarko likes him it was mentioned a while back by someone that it was always a plan to target crouch , Mitchell and o'meara. As far as success we are no certainty to have it in the next couple years at least . Good player but I'd prefer to go for some youth or target 22/23 year olds

So long as we get a better player then that's completely fair & reasonable.

If they think they're gonna get some kind of over-payment or compensation because they've looked or felt silly for 12 months then they can EAD.
In both cases, GWS either trades the players for a bag of chips or they keep them and pay the huge salary they committed to. They really don't want to do that.

Potentially us taking patton allowed them to keep cogs. If he stays and gws have a salary cap (they don't) it would be a problem.

GWS cannot afford to pay 900,000 for an injury prone forward that is behind others on thier list.

I don't think we should pay more than the Scully deal. Scully was a proven player and hard worker with 1 significant injury that we knew we could get right.

Patton had knee issues before being drafted, has had 3 acls, is a big fella so less chance of full recovery, and slow and lumbering.

He only makes sense as a cheap pick up.

I have no confidence that patton be a good player.

Hm, unsure whether a 3rd rounder is worth it for Patton.

Not sure who GWS are trying to fool, the blokes done 3 knees and they're acting like he's undamaged goods. He's about 3 times as injury prone as Scully.

Must definitely have something to do with the new salary cap procedures, GWS don't seem to be scared of having his salary on the books anymore.

No doubt Gil would be paying most of his salary at GWS

Let them keep him for all I care.
The reason they arent too worried about the salary is he only has one year left so whilst they do have Cameron and Whitfield coming off the books at the end of next season they can still extend those guys so that the bigger money comes in when Patton comes off the books. Basically they need to figure out if Hawthorn's offer of a fourth or whatever it is would beat a free agency compensation next year if he came over as a free agent.

Based on the compensation this year I reckon they believe they would get a third round compensation. Considering that they got a second for Tomlinson so whilst they are talking the talk they are likely only trying to talk Hawthorn into the third round pick and them saying it is completely different to the Scully one is moving it up from what I think Hawks would be offering being a 4th round or lower

GWS want pick 50 AND us to pay his full salary.

You get one or the other imo, pick 50 and you pay some of the salary, or you cop pick 87 and we pay 100% of the salary.
We won't be obliged to take him on the same terms. New deal.

GWS, however, are bound by his existing contract.

yeah, but theoretically we could still deal with them, get him on a new contract, and get them to pay some of it couldn't we?
If they have to get rid of him for salary concerns, asking them to pay anyway does nothing but reduce their incentive to trade.

The interstate midfielder is one of the crouch brothers!

In regards to the Crouch brothers this is how I assume we are playing this one
So Matt Crouch could be gettable bnf and AA in 2017 GF year averages 30 possessions once clocked up 47. In the leadership group and more durable than Brad, yeah why not!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

And you forgot to add that he hasn’t put a 1m per season bounty on his own head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had breakfast with a player manager this morning (by chance, I’m not a connected in the know)

As suspected Patton along with other deals are agreed and done (third rounder) but clubs don’t have anything to gain by lodging now, most sit back and wait to see what is happening with other picks. Felt length of trade time ridiculous and he just stands around bored in the chance he may be needed, said it’s all about the AFL trying to dominate the back page all year round. He said doesn’t matter how long the period lasts for every year there are 10 clubs lined up to lodge deals with 5 mins to go.
Said the Patton deal was done before Mitch Lewis got his form and felt the Hawks may not have been so bullish had this not happened but had already committed.

the interesting point was that everyone knows the Hawks are up to something but nobody still has any idea as to what it is.

Nothing really new just thought I’d share.

Old school friend of Giesch?

The reason they arent too worried about the salary is he only has one year left so whilst they do have Cameron and Whitfield coming off the books at the end of next season they can still extend those guys so that the bigger money comes in when Patton comes off the books. Basically they need to figure out if Hawthorn's offer of a fourth or whatever it is would beat a free agency compensation next year if he came over as a free agent.

Based on the compensation this year I reckon they believe they would get a third round compensation. Considering that they got a second for Tomlinson so whilst they are talking the talk they are likely only trying to talk Hawthorn into the third round pick and them saying it is completely different to the Scully one is moving it up from what I think Hawks would be offering being a 4th round or lower

Scenario 1: GWS pay around $800k in 2020 and might get a third round compo pick the year after. Patton probably won't play a game.

Scenario 2: GWS pay a % of the $800k in 2020 and get a third round pick NOW. Patton definitely won't play for GWS.

The question is what % would GWS see as too high? Given that he probably won't play a game for them I'd say it would be high.

Can someone link me with the Brad Crouch news? Or is it purely a random poster throwing up more fanciful wishes?

Remember guys, the Giants are 100% tied to that contract, we however will be renegotiating this contract as there is no way we'd be paying him $700k. Talk of Giants having to pay a % are way off the mark IMO. It wont be necessary.

Scenario 1: GWS pay around $800k in 2020 and might get a third round compo pick the year after. Patton probably won't play a game.

Scenario 2: GWS pay a % of the $800k in 2020 and get a third round pick NOW. Patton definitely won't play for GWS.

The question is what % would GWS see as too high? Given that he probably won't play a game for them I'd say it would be high.
or situation three...we restructure the contract completely making it more like $350k a season and they dont pay any %

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back