No Oppo Supporters 2019 Trade and FA period - Incoming Targets news discussion - read the rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very much doubt we will be paying a premium for Patton. It is not a trick. The Giants cap is bust and they have to get these boys off their list.

Agree with that - but the deal hasn't been done has it?
There's just been a pointed comment from GWS that Patton's been training the house down.
So we can call their bluff and stand on our 3rd (?) draft pick offer and hope like buggery that Essendon or St Kilda or someone else doesn't jump in at 5 minutes to midnight and take him from us.
It's not a trick, as you say, it's just managing risk.

Rubbish. GWS can’t afford him, that’s an absolute fact, the only way they can is if they make Patton a priority over Whitfield and Cameron which isn’t happening. Giants need him off their books, that’s that.
This is the problem on here. They actually can afford because all of them have one year left. They put extensions in front of Whitfield and Cameron they wont start till the current one runs into it anyways and by then Patton is a free agent and off the books

This is the problem on here. They actually can afford because all of them have one year left. They put extensions in front of Whitfield and Cameron they wont start till the current one runs into it anyways and by then Patton is a free agent and off the books

I agree. He could absolutely stay on lower money if GWS and Patton agreed. But, the biggest thing on our side is that he has said that he wants to be traded to us. Very few players stay after that. Not ideal to have a guy who wants out to then stay. GWS will offload him, they're just trying to get the best deal they can. Who wouldn't?! Realistically the best deal will be a third round pick, maybe late 2nd. It won't cost us much.

I agree. He could absolutely stay on lower money if GWS and Patton agreed. But, the biggest thing on our side is that he has said that he wants to be traded to us. Very few players stay after that. Not ideal to have a guy who wants out to then stay. GWS will offload him, they're just trying to get the best deal they can. Who wouldn't?! Realistically the best deal will be a third round pick, maybe late 2nd. It won't cost us much.
100% the fact it was done so publicly as well helps us. End of the day I am not shocked at all by their posturing and if you actually think about it no one should be. We are three days into the trade period, if he was a Hawthorn player going the other way I would think Hawks would make those type of statements too.

It will get done because the two teams are professional clubs unlike Essendon and his management wont allow him to publicly state it and not happen

Patton’s going to get done. This happens every year. He’s nominated us and we”ve been dealing with them for a long time. The rest is for media so it doesn’t look like GWS is losing face.
Reduced wage wants the Hawks and we”re committed to getting him.
there are other deals that are pending that effect it...simple as that

My gut feeling, or hope, is that we're looking at a third player as well. The Poppy replacement.
Papley would be an ambitious get but perhaps not Butler. The challenge is to manufacture the draft picks, or the outgoing player trades, to get that small forward in.

I meant probably no more than a third player. Wines rumour keeps bobbing up

now I know we think we need a poppy replacement, but small forward is still an ideal place to break in new players, like ross or walker (although not that small granted) doubts over Nash visa adds another complexity

Patton’s going to get done. This happens every year. He’s nominated us and we”ve been dealing with them for a long time. The rest is for media so it doesn’t look like GWS is losing face.
Reduced wage wants the Hawks and we”re committed to getting him.
GWS thing is they have set up this revolving door so that players get traded out, draft picks in and more of the same down the track.

at some point GWS have to realise they are just another club susceptible to cycles

With Birch now being offered a 1 years extension it seems more likely that we may not do much more than bring in Patton and Frost.

Haven’t heard any news on Poppy though.

If we are to become another premiership juggernaut we just cant be satisfied with Patton and potentially Frost. We need another 5-6 changes at least to reinvigorate and refurbish the list with stars and quality depth.

ten players in 2018, seven in 2017 and eight in 2016 25 changes in 3 seasons. 9 remaining from 2015 premiership team

if changes make a juggernaught, why arent we one already?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather sign poppy then birch due to lack of small fwds and over expense of half backs in jaith and scrimshaw etc. I got word bonar is being worked out in the Patton deal potentially. Hopefully we see some hawk trades tmr
lets be honest...i just want to see any trades at this point lol

ten players in 2018, seven in 2017 and eight in 2016 25 changes in 3 seasons. 9 remaining from 2015 premiership team

if changes make a juggernaught, why arent we one already?
We are certainly closer to being one again than 3 years ago. We need another elite mid considering we went after Cogs. We need a Poppy replacement, we need someone like Whitfield considering we are/were after him. Frost and Patton fill a need as well. We also need better depth. On top of that we are also going to need another Gunston, McEvoy and Breust coming through. I think we're going places but theres still so much more change needed. Hopefully we have some of these guys already on the list but why not go HAM at every opportunity.

We are certainly closer to being one again than 3 years ago. We need another elite mid considering we went after Cogs. We need a Poppy replacement, we need someone like Whitfield considering we are/were after him. Frost and Patton fill a need as well. We also need better depth. On top of that we are also going to need another Gunston, McEvoy and Breust coming through. I think we're going places but theres still so much more change needed. Hopefully we have some of these guys already on the list but why not go HAM at every opportunity.
and people say we are greedy?

Do people think we can just pluck A graders out of thin air?

I think the club has done a good job of turning the list over without a whole lot of collateral to do so, especially considering we haven’t ever really bottomed out. We’ll continue to do whatever it takes to improve our list... and there will be another 4-5 changes in the next two years.

Look at what happened to Brisbane after their 3peat... straight off the cliff!!

and people say we are greedy?
Dont you have to be though? If we can continue to get B22 players cheaply like Scully, Scrimshaw, Patton and Frost, why limit yourself?

We need to keep trying to nail free agency, delisted free agency, this trade period, the preseason trade period, the national draft, rookie draft and supplemental draft to get to where we all want as quickly as possible.

Dont you have to be though? If we can continue to get B22 players cheaply like Scully, Scrimshaw, Patton and Frost, why limit yourself?

We need to keep trying to nail free agency, delisted free agency, this trade period, the preseason trade period, the national draft, rookie draft and supplemental draft to get to where we all want as quickly as possible.
not saying you incorrect but good chance that we only get the two guys this season and maybe go again next year

The thing is you have to do better than the opposition as well. I’m not sure we are gaining ground this trade period

Do people think we can just pluck A graders out of thin air?

I think the club has done a good job of turning the list over without a whole lot of collateral to do so, especially considering we haven’t ever really bottomed out. We’ll continue to do whatever it takes to improve our list... and there will be another 4-5 changes in the next two years.

Look at what happened to Brisbane after their 3peat... straight off the cliff!!

If you were to tell me in 2015 we would have a Brownlow medalist in Mitchell, Jaeger, Wingard, a 20yo Worpel winning bnf, and land Patton I'd say you were dreaming. This by no means downplaying Impey or Scrimshaw who have been terrific but not as big a profile.

We are a spoilt bunch.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing is you have to do better than the opposition as well. I’m not sure we are gaining ground this trade period
If we bring in Patton, Frost, Crouch and potentially Bonar and add to that Finn how is that not gaining ground?, what are Collingwood doing for eg?, we will be adding to each area of the ground that we needed to and bolstering depth. It's a win in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back