2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I really haven't seen a lot of CEY so just talking off the top of my head 4 years seems a helluva lot for a 27 yo. who's played 39 games.

Having said that with the Noble connection you'd have to think we have inside intelligence that indicates he's going to stand up over that time and be value for money.

I think Ely Smith is going to make a player but agree we need more bull M/F depth than we presently have . Hopefully this guy takes the next step.

I see CEY as mature stop gap while players like Ely mature and hit their peak.

CEY could play next year and provide us a deeper midfield, but by year 3 of his contract he could be playing ressies if others step up.

Seen bits of Cameron play against us he would bring pace to our inside brigade of slow midfielders the guy can play just hasn't got his body right
CEY might be the slowest player in the comp. Decent player - great inside the contest, doesn't offer anything on the outside. With his injury history, I can't believe we'd offer him 4 years though.

Just let him clear the runway for the playmakers. Doesn’t need to be a star.
If he comes in and does a job consistently then he could go from potential whipping boy to fan fave like Robbo.

The tough guy protecting Lachie, Zorks and Clug.

I'm sort of intrigued because I don't really know him much at all .

He looks a bit of a beast in the photos

CEY might be the slowest player in the comp. Decent player - great inside the contest, doesn't offer anything on the outside. With his injury history, I can't believe we'd offer him 4 years though.
Slowest player in the comp. That doesn't sound good .

Simon Black was slow .

Maybe we can package him up with Jenkins and get the two slowest players in the comp in one go.

If he comes in and does a job consistently then he could go from potential whipping boy to fan fave like Robbo.

The tough guy protecting Lachie, Zorks and Clug.

I'm sort of intrigued because I don't really know him much at all .

He looks a bit of a beast in the photos

this article might help a bit.
- high contested footy winning mid (tick)
- very good inside (tick)
- prone to handballing too quickly
- ability to seek out the fittest player in list and do pre-season with him to improve running (tick)

3 years old article but with that kind of attitude/mindset, I think he'll be fine with us.

this article might help a bit.
- high contested footy winning mid (tick)
- very good inside (tick)
- prone to handballing too quickly
- ability to seek out the fittest player in list and do pre-season with him to improve running (tick)

3 years old article but with that kind of attitude/mindset, I think he'll be fine with us.
Well it turns out that he hasn't quite gotten to the Fyfe level yet as they hoped.

But I always fancied if we got Fyfe it might improve our team so hopefully we can bring it out in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many probably thought the same of Lyons at the start of this year.
I think Lyons had a far better CV and we knew he would slot in straight away and be better than any other options we had and useful at worst.

On the other hand we're likely to be paying CEY a lot less and one thing I do like is that he hasn't played that much so if we can get his body right who knows.

Lisle has won the leading goalkicker in the VFL three times, including this year, so I'm still really not sold.

If we delist a tall though why not.
Just on Lisle winning the goal kicking, he plays deep forward in a top 4 team and is smart footballer who can juggle marks, get groundball goals. He just cant run at an elite level thats why he didnt make it in afl, good player though. Make no mistake, the vfl is best comp outside of afl.

From games I have seen of him I have never thought slow I genuinely thought he looked quick and combined with Han size looks a bit of a beast . Always wondered why he hasn’t played more games clearly his body has let him down . Even if he is on 400k that pretty much replaces what Bastinac on and in mind mind he offers a skill set more suited to afl finals . At 27 if he gets his body right could well be another astute pick up also need to remember this hasn’t cost us a thing at the trade table .

Do you really blame anyone for not wanting Robbo given his reputation off the field?

Yes coz in Fagan we trust. He had the foresight to recruit him years before he even joined the club!

To me CEY is a vanilla big bodied midfielder, hasn’t got any real standout feature other than his inside game, isn’t the quickest , not the best runner etc. He does fit our game style thou, seems to have good pressure around the ball, clearance and contested possession, really does feel like Lyon 2.0

Club must see him filling a role or wouldn’t offer him that 4 years. Also with most of our reserve players, Bastinac, Robertson, Keays, Taylor, Cutler and Lester futures still unknown, having a mature, afl exposed player in that 18-25 list range is important too.

Shaping up as an interesting trade period, we seem to be avoiding getting into any type of bidding war and looking at the cheaper options. We cooled on Greenwood when he starting getting more attention / asking for that amount of cash, then CEY became an option. I really like the potential Ah Chee recruitment, the Suns stating multiple times about their Salary Cap issues, someone like Ah Chee is the perfect target to squeeze. Wouldn’t fit in their untouchable category, while other teams are pitching to Martin and the suns try to deal with him, we can potentially walk away with a very talented player on the cheap.

Interesting to see what the club has planned for our first two picks, if we have a draftee we like or have another player in our sights.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back