2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you really blame anyone for not wanting Robbo given his reputation off the field?

It was more the Carlton culture he had come from...trying to be a big player in the AFL with the old VFL Carlton mindset.

Worth noting imo that Ah Chee and Ellis-Yolmen come from clubs where we have staff who know them well. Ambrosio drafted Ah Chee four years ago and would have tracked his development, while Noble would know what CEY can offer us. And Birchall/Fagan too. We're surely backing our medical department in massively to fix some more injury prone players. This approach is totally justified. The club seems really well run at the moment.

I don’t think our depth is that bad at the moment. Guys like Walker, Lester, Matho, Keays, Taylor, Robertson, Cutler and Bastinac have played decent footy at AFL level. Sure we might lose a few but we’ll get improvement from the younger guys in the reserves.

As shown 2 days you can also draft depth in the mid year draft if required. You certainly don’t have to give them 4 year contracts.

Probably no real risk these days getting players with injury histories. We have good medical staff and have shown we can get players right. But also should they break down long term they can be covered in the mid season draft and if they become unplayable they are more than likely to retire early. Worth taking the risk on some players.

Premiership teams have 30 players on their list who can play good AFL footy. CEY brings that depth. Could also take heat off Lachie Neale on the inside of the contest.
Yes, the "A graders only" mentality is long gone. We can afford to add solid, experienced senior footballers to the list.

To me CEY is a vanilla big bodied midfielder, hasn’t got any real standout feature other than his inside game, isn’t the quickest , not the best runner etc. He does fit our game style thou, seems to have good pressure around the ball, clearance and contested possession, really does feel like Lyon 2.0

Not sure if this is just the difference in the term "vanilla" but I probably see him in another light in that his best traits are nearly elite but he has some genuine weaknesses too. But his best attributes are of a very high standard. He certainly is like Lyon in that regard and really does fit the Fagan philosophy of focusing on what players can do rather than what they can't.

If you look at League averages, he's top 20 in tackles, handballs and contested possessions. We're an elite contested possession side but our tackling is only average (based on differentials with our opposition). I would love to be an elite tackling team and CEY gives us another weapon in that regard.

I don’t think our depth is that bad at the moment. Guys like Walker, Lester, Matho, Keays, Taylor, Robertson, Cutler and Bastinac have played decent footy at AFL level. Sure we might lose a few but we’ll get improvement from the younger guys in the reserves.

As shown 2 days you can also draft depth in the mid year draft if required. You certainly don’t have to give them 4 year contracts.

If 4 brings $ down, why not. Player feels safe knowing he had the contract security and can focus on getting his game right. We appear to be doing our due diligence, offer longer contract with nominal dollars and keep building. Sure, it could blow up in our faces, but we have to back the model that seems to be working for us.

Win that premiership again and players may be willing to come for 2 or 3 year contracts even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess the other factor is you can only get who'll come to you . If you can get someone who'll improve your list where you need to improve it then you'll likely take them if they tick a couple of other boxes . It's a bit of a juggling act and must be just as stressful for the recruiters as the players.

Lots of work for no result on some players. Then a negotiating period on some others.

If 4 brings $ down, why not. Player feels safe knowing he had the contract security and can focus on getting his game right. We appear to be doing our due diligence, offer longer contract with nominal dollars and keep building. Sure, it could blow up in our faces, but we have to back the model that seems to be working for us.

Win that premiership again and players may be willing to come for 2 or 3 year contracts even.

Bastinac is probably the example of where it hasn't worked.

people whinging about CEY are probably the same nuffies who whinged when we got Robbo up here. And Mcarthy, and Adams....

In faganism we trust
CEY is a great pickup for us. This bloke can play and if he is sound he will have be great for us. He has that big body and strength that we need. The ones who are whinging about him just let's give him that chance and I am sure that opinions will change. When Mitch Robbo came to us I was not happy and said he was no good BUT NOW - if he was not injured I reckon we would have made the Grand Final. Mitch is a fantastic player and CEY has ability to be the same. We still need a strong bodied key forward and a fast running back flanker - who knows we may have gems already in the NEAFL that may step up to the top level. Richmond is now the bench mark and we need to be that 10 to 20% better than them to win a Grand Final with the Grand Final at the MCG. All in all we still have alot of work to get there and the club is on the right track so if the progression and positivity continue we will get that success.

Bastinac was when leppa was round and aish left. At end of day to entice players to leave and Travel interstate you need some long term security . I see no reason why CEY can’t have a career best season next year and be a best 22 player . He will offer a lot around the ball especially with new 6-6-6 rule and if someone like Lyons goes down we have another big body to help out the likes of Neale , Zorko , Berry etc . Our injury run was insanely good this year would be silly for us to think it will be same against next year . Also
Most players when them move clubs with a fresh mindset genuinely perform better. I think with McCarthy getting another full preseason and a fit CEY will make us a much more rounded side .

Bastinac is probably the example of where it hasn't worked.

Slightly different cases though. Basti a player who was falling out at his current club. Paid way too much and too long to come here when he was going to be off cuts from another team. CEY like Linc has injury history, not major form issues.

As i said earlier in the tread, if you are CEY, you've played less than 50 games in your career you will jump at a 4 year deal. That is guaranteeing your career continuing. Doesnt need to be on big money, and i doubt it is, but even very modest money these days would be like 150-200k a year. If you are struggling with injury and you have a chance to stay in footy for 4 years and be paid maybe 400-800k to do so, you will jump at it.

For us, we are getting a player who has some really nice traits that i think we can fold into how we play footy. He has some height to him and is srong inside, good tackler which is something we need in our midfield mix. Maybe he is a 20-30 type player, but we still need those types of players. And whilst we can land these types of players, especially as FAs, it means we can draft more for talent than for needs.

Slightly different cases though. Basti a player who was falling out at his current club. Paid way too much and too long to come here when he was going to be off cuts from another team. CEY like Linc has injury history, not major form issues.

As i said earlier in the tread, if you are CEY, you've played less than 50 games in your career you will jump at a 4 year deal. That is guaranteeing your career continuing. Doesnt need to be on big money, and i doubt it is, but even very modest money these days would be like 150-200k a year. If you are struggling with injury and you have a chance to stay in footy for 4 years and be paid maybe 400-800k to do so, you will jump at it.

For us, we are getting a player who has some really nice traits that i think we can fold into how we play footy. He has some height to him and is srong inside, good tackler which is something we need in our midfield mix. Maybe he is a 20-30 type player, but we still need those types of players. And whilst we can land these types of players, especially as FAs, it means we can draft more for talent than for needs.

CEY does have form issues. Lack of flexibility is a big part of the reason why he hasn't played more AFL footy but injuries isn't the only reason why he's averaged 5 AFL games a season.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back