2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep pretty much. Josh Bruce is a better (but older) player but by all reports he's going to the dogs, and Daniher seems to be Sydney or bust (plus I have no idea how we could satisfy the bombers in a trade).

Improving the quality of our entries will go a long way to making our key forwards look a lot better too.

Genuinely think we need to introduce the CHAOS BALL into our forward entries.

Grubber it in and at worse you get a stoppage. Back in Charlie to win the ground ball.

Even hippy is better when he's turned his opponent and can get a run on. We need to play to his strengths more. He looked more dangerous in 2017 when we let him run.

Grubber it in and at worse you get a stoppage. Back in Charlie to win the ground ball.
This worked well during the home and away season, but it was noticeable during the finals that there wasn't anything like as much the same amount of space in the backline for this to work as a reliable avenue to goal.

This worked well during the home and away season, but it was noticeable during the finals that there wasn't anything like as much the same amount of space in the backline for this to work as a reliable avenue to goal.

We had shitloads of space in that last quarter and kept bombing it to GWS's marking defenders.

Even hippy is better when he's turned his opponent and can get a run on. We need to play to his strengths more. He looked more dangerous in 2017 when we let him run.
Yep, Hippy needs to lead more like Nick Riewoldt use to...Actually surprised we didn't try Walker as another tall forward

Last nights game shows we need a big target up front, Davis and Haynes took multiple intercept marks in the second half. Would obviously love a Daniher but don't think thats a chance. Who else is around the place? Please if people say Jenkins, i'll delete this post. He sucks. Also a fast defender is a must, either Cox develops big time next year or we get Zac Williams, who went at 100% efficiency last night with 17 touches. Obviously Lairds been mentioned but can't see that happening. Anyone else to fill that role? Disappointing way to end the season last night but super proud to be a lions supporter and can't wait for the future, its exciting!

I'd even argue mcstay was the best KPF available on the market before he signed his new contract.
We don't need to just look at uncontracted players, I'm sure we could entice someone away if they aren't in a premiership window and haven't already gone home. Charlie Dixon is on my wish list, at least until and unless Daniher makes it to RFA.

We had s**tloads of space in that last quarter and kept bombing it to GWS's marking defenders.

There was also a ten minute stretch of the final quarter where Hippy was off the ground and Stef/Big O were rotating at full forward and Davis/Haynes were free to zone off them and third man up as neither was fast enough to get to the contest. Not sure what happened with our rotations there.

Back to trades I'd say midfield depth and a half back are probably the most realistic areas to target. From Swann's comments last night we aren't going to be as busy this year as last but we do still have a fair amount of salary cap room so hopefully we can pick up a couple of decent players.

We don't need to just look at uncontracted players, I'm sure we could entice someone away if they aren't in a premiership window and haven't already gone home. Charlie Dixon is on my wish list, at least until and unless Daniher makes it to RFA.

I'm all for adding more genuine pace..wouldn't be too many teams to keep up with us...If we're going after Callum Ah Chee wouldn't mind another big-bodied midfield that can play forward like Callum's brother...Brendan Ah Chee who is also OC

I'm all for adding more genuine pace..wouldn't be too many teams to keep up with us...If we're going after Callum Ah Chee wouldn't mind another big-bodied midfield that can play forward like Callum's brother...Brendan Ah Chee who is also OC
Brendan is a plodder who will probably play NEAFL for us. I think we can do better.

Watching him play for Port, and his struggle to get into the Eagles team this year.

That was prior 2017...He's lost a lot of weight since them days has been racking up the possessions in the WAFL and taking the odd big grap would be adding depth...was thinking more a Basti replacement (rookie)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to trades I'd say midfield depth and a half back are probably the most realistic areas to target. From Swann's comments last night we aren't going to be as busy this year as last but we do still have a fair amount of salary cap room so hopefully we can pick up a couple of decent players.
Have nothing to go on but maybe it’s more to do with development within and try give those in the NEAFL an opportunity at least. We did have a major focus on trying to develop our younger players so hopefully that comes to fruition without targeting trades.

They might also be targeting for next years trade F/A period. They certainly don’t focus on year at a time.

My thoughts: what we need.

- Line breaking halfback- Z Wiliams like
- Another elite midfielder or two inside/outside - Shane Edwards like maybe a bigger body type as well
- A repeat lead forward that draws defenders up the ground and creates forward half space.- Adelaide T Lynch style when firing- could have used that last night.

We are not far off the best- I think if we add the above types there is an extra runner to lay off too and a leading target to reduce the constant longer kicks in that the best defences - Rich and GWS for e.g. can cover.

Here’s to a successful trade/draft period to compliment a strong performance this year:thumbsu:

I would go far as saying it was his best game as a Lion
Absolutely agree with this. Have been disappointed with Witho’s season in comparison to what he can provide, but this was his best game given circumstances, and won plenty of tough one on ones... anyone who thinks he gave up and therefor cost us has clearly never played a reasonable level of footy. He has a long way to go to get to peak physical condition, but in a season where his effort was at times questionable, last night was not one of those.

Witho was especially gutted at the end. He will feel hurt over that last goal a lot longer and harder than us supporters. Get off his back. We have a lot to be thankful for this season. Try to enjoy it instead of this constant bickering over who's fault it was that we lost.

Witho was especially gutted at the end. He will feel hurt over that last goal a lot longer and harder than us supporters. Get off his back. We have a lot to be thankful for this season. Try to enjoy it instead of this constant bickering over who's fault it was that we lost.
I can't believe the umpires didn't see the actual throw that lead to the Daniels goal. That was almost worst then the Martin one the other week. I wonder how many free kicks lead to a goal that game.

Rubbish; it was discussed ad nauseum today on radio, the Sunday footy shows and an even better analysis on the Final Crack with Dixon and King. All highlighted how bad Witherden was in that contest, so how can you honestly say it’s nonsense? The only ones who don’t believe it are precious Lions fans because every other person who follows AFL knows what a pathetic effort it was.

I still think the blocks are there, I mean it was probably Bailey and Answerth (outside of Neal) who had the poorest nights and they are just kids. It's impossible to tell what we really have in the NEAFL side as the comp itself is so woeful. We do need more speed off half back and would love to see a KPF in the Earl Spalding mould, who would just destroy marking packs.

Rubbish; it was discussed ad nauseum today on radio, the Sunday footy shows and an even better analysis on the Final Crack with Dixon and King. All highlighted how bad Witherden was in that contest, so how can you honestly say it’s nonsense? The only ones who don’t believe it are precious Lions fans because every other person who follows AFL knows what a pathetic effort it was.

I'm not going to crucify him on it...You've made your point lets move on...

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back