2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

For what it's worth, Mitch Cleary on SEN thinks it's 50/50 on Elliott staying or going, but if he does go, Melbourne are ahead of Brisbane. Not sure if he has any inside info or that's just his gut feel.

If Elliott goes, I'd say it's for financial reasons given where he's at with his career. Reckon our offer will need to be a fair bit stronger than the Dees offer given we're asking him to move interstate.

For what it's worth, Mitch Cleary on SEN thinks it's 50/50 on Elliott staying or going, but if he does go, Melbourne are ahead of Brisbane. Not sure if he has any inside info or that's just his gut feel.

If Elliott goes, I'd say it's for financial reasons given where he's at with his career. Reckon our offer will need to be a fair bit stronger than the Dees offer given we're asking him to move interstate.

At the very least it would need to be equivalent money but more years.

Why are people writing off Christensen? Thought he was one of our best players in the second half of the year? Took his chances, had his pace and X factor back, tackled ferociously...really really odd.
He also plays absolutely nothing like Elliot (in fact no one on our list plays like him) so yeah, really weird comments.

hope this goes through.
In my opinion, would rather risk not getting a big like jenkins and back in McSpray to finally kick straight.

we would have the most dynamic forward line in the league, absolute nightmares for defenders.

the only weakness would be the lack of a dependable pack mark (again, back in McSpray and Hippy to clunk a few more).

all of those guys would be devastating playing isolated one out, particular the obvious Charlie and Elliot.

should be another cracking trade period! :)
Agree bundy had a good year, Fact is he's still unsigned.

Agree if it’s same money same years he probably stays although we are probably ahead of Melbourne in terms of being closer to a flag based on this year . We would have to offer 3 years at 600k or at least 4 years . Key priority for us is McLuggage . Imagine what the kangers are gonna offer him . We will need to have him on a minimum 800k
Next contract . Few blokes for us who are gonna need substantial upgrades financially . Cameron in 3 years would have to be pushing 700k , Andrews likewise .

Although seems west coast and tigers can fit everyone in so maybe there is hope. I’d say reason cutler didn’t sign contract is because our offer possibly on par or lower then his last . Bastinac was on 400k so him leaving opens up
A bit of space as does guys like Robertson and Taylor of they get traded .

The main thing with someone like Elliot
Agree if it’s same money same years he probably stays although we are probably ahead of Melbourne in terms of being closer to a flag based on this year . We would have to offer 3 years at 600k or at least 4 years . Key priority for us is McLuggage . Imagine what the kangers are gonna offer him . We will need to have him on a minimum 800k
Next contract . Few blokes for us who are gonna need substantial upgrades financially . Cameron in 3 years would have to be pushing 700k , Andrews likewise .
You can usually keep them if the group is tight and a flag is in sight. It's if we drop off the main pack in the hunt that the wheels can fall off with players entering their best years. Successful year next year and I don't think we'll have too many problems wanting them to stay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over on the Collingwood board they seem to be confident Elliott will stay. He is at their B & F but that doesn’t mean much.Might make it pretty interesting to fit all their stars under the cap next year. But...creative accounting...

Huge physical toll that will likely affect their quality of life in later years, only 10 or so years in a career.
That’s still 4 odd million. Buy a house in the first two-three years, buy an already established business in the next 2 and you have 5 to play with.

The Age is reporting that we've also offered Elliot a 3 year deal and that Chris Fagan met with him recently:

I reckon we are going to need to offer 4 years to get this done. Only thing going for us is that we look closer to a premiership than Melbourne.

Lots of balls in the air in the back room. Elliot is a great get if we can secure him. Still have lots of options ahead and a few bargaining chips that are attracting attention.

Thought I read earlier this year Elliot was not looking to move interstate so that may be a stumbling block.

Might not be as quiet as some Media experts think regarding us.

#elliot2lions

Over on the Collingwood board they seem to be confident Elliott will stay. He is at their B & F but that doesn’t mean much.Might make it pretty interesting to fit all their stars under the cap next year. But...creative accounting...
Players turning up to B & F’s don’t mean much these days........Beams anyone!

That’s still 4 odd million. Buy a house in the first two-three years, buy an already established business in the next 2 and you have 5 to play with.
After tax it’s closer to $2m and then you lose another 5-10% of the $4mill to agents fees.

Yeah it’s a good living but the reality is the majority of footballers aren’t set up for life after they finish especially considering the average career is 6 years.

Players turning up to B & F’s don’t mean much these days........Beams anyone!
Elliot' s on a plane tomorrow at 6 am holidaying with his brother...Pies are hoping for an answer beforehand. (tonights Copeland)

After tax it’s closer to $2m and then you lose another 5-10% of the $4mill to agents fees.

Yeah it’s a good living but the reality is the majority of footballers aren’t set up for life after they finish especially considering the average career is 6 years.

Do they have to be set up for life though?

Elliot' s on a plane tomorrow at 6 am holidaying with his brother...Pies are hoping for an answer beforehand. (tonights Copeland)

As a general rule, not a great sign for the pies if he leaves for holidays without re-signing with them. Tough spot for them to be in to be honest. He's worth more to other clubs (in terms of what they can afford / allocate from their budget to him) than he is to the pies, & I understand that totally.

Remove this Banner Ad

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back