2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

At least kicking coaches. Imagine McStay, every time, drilling them from thirty out, dead in front11111

*Insert photo of 3KZ jr kicking a snag*

Really rate Sam McClure. Nicky Dal talking to him about his article on Mason Cox and how Essendon is denying it. Sam isn't backing down, and saying it's very strange Essendon are denying it.

Also brought up that after his article about Joe Daniher wanting to go to Sydney, Essendon contacted him and told him to take the article down, "you're embarrassing yourself." Then a few days later Daniher requests a trade to Sydney.

Of all the players still OOC I think Lewy and Nick Robbo will be the ones I feel sad at the thought of them leaving our club. Lewy such a great little lovable larrikin character and Nick a fantastic leader and example on the training track, and who both gave absolutely everything when they stepped over the white line.
I'm going to miss these guys.
Cutler bit dissapointed he didn't break out for whatever reason, did appear to be what we were looking for down back .
Robbo was a hard man when we were a bit green and skinny, gave us a feeling like he had their backs and certainly showed a lot of progress.
Squizzy , this guy has shown plenty, seems like he just doesn't fit our style anymore. I'll really miss him being out there , running around presenting like he wanted it and presenting an option when no one else made the effort to get there . Pretty sure this guy will make an impact at his new club when he goes.
Still going to enjoy watching these guys wherever they go.
I just hope whoever we get in , lets us play with another option than the bomb into f50 or down the line to a contest.
In other words , players with elite running skills or elite kicking skills .
Upgrades please .

yawn, things are slow. CONSPIRACY THEORY- while we wait. Lets' say the Lions get a call, it's Adam Ramanauskas of TLA, "Hey boys I know who you are after and I'll help you if you help me first. I've another client in Jamnie Elliot we want to bump his salary up at the Pies". "How about I fly him up and you guys look interested and if we get an increase for him at the Pies we will help you next with your target". Brodie Smith's manager is also TLA where Ramanauskas works but Rory Laird's manager is Paul Conners of Conners Management. Smith is the target still, and the shot will come from the grassy knoll.
I think that sort of stuff is beneath Fagan and Noble.

Really rate Sam McClure. Nicky Dal talking to him about his article on Mason Cox and how Essendon is denying it. Sam isn't backing down, and saying it's very strange Essendon are denying it.

Also brought up that after his article about Joe Daniher wanting to go to Sydney, Essendon contacted him and told him to take the article down, "you're embarrassing yourself." Then a few days later Daniher requests a trade to Sydney.
The Bombers are denying it because of the outrage from their fans.
And because they don’t want Sydney to know that they are already searching for a Daniher replacement.

Is anyone else thinking that if trades go thru as expected for other clubs, we could find it hard to stay in the top 8. Bulldogs, st kilda, carlton, especially? Are CEY, and ah chee enought to take us to the next level? Or will the natural improvement of our youth be enough to keep us up there?

I still think we need at least one quality injury free player (a running half back importantly) to join us this trade period and i hope this may still happen. Without that i do fear an unflattering drop.

Are my fears justified?

Is anyone else thinking that if trades go thru as expected for other clubs, we could find it hard to stay in the top 8. Bulldogs, st kilda, carlton, especially? Are CEY, and ah chee enought to take us to the next level? Or will the natural improvement of our youth be enough to keep us up there?

I still think we need at least one quality injury free player (a running half back importantly) to join us this trade period and i hope this may still happen. Without that i do fear an unflattering drop.

Are my fears justified?
According to Noble, our recruiters are eyeing four and possibly five in the draft. Any one or more of those could help take us to the next level. I wouldn't worry too much about other clubs passing us by, but certainly we need to keep improving our list as Fages and Noble have said repeatedly.

I was surprised at the indignation RE Elliott yesterday. Even if he used us, doesn't change that we benefit anyway. Even if it was coordinated (and I don't think it was), we were strongly being considered by another best-22 player, this time from a prelim final team. It doesn't make us look bad missing out on him. It makes us look like a team that is being considered a serious option by good players.

Really looking forward to Ah Chee. He's not an A grader at this stage, but I think he could be the one we look back on in a few years as an absolutely gem.

From what Noble was saying yesterday, I think Birchall is coming to us. It sounded like, now that Jamie isn't coming here, we have the list spot - quite likely to get done now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are my fears justified?

I think a lot would have to happen for us to finish below St Kilda or Carlton.

Ultimately all the ebbs and flows of a season have a bigger impact than the trade period.

Nick Robbo is the one for mine that I'll miss most of our reported departing players. A long-time favourite of mine, and I've been disappointed that he hasn't been played more (though I'm not criticising the coaching, especially after the year we've had). Reliable, athletic, hard as nails, and reportedly a genuine top bloke. The sort of player every team needs. I'd love him to stay, but can't fault him looking for opportunity.

Of all the players still OOC I think Lewy and Nick Robbo will be the ones I feel sad at the thought of them leaving our club. Lewy such a great little lovable larrikin character and Nick a fantastic leader and example on the training track, and who both gave absolutely everything when they stepped over the white line.
Couldn't agree more...really liked what Lewy brought to the team and NRobbo's absolute commitment to the contest against big name players like Buddy and Dustin - never took a step backwards for anyone. I understand their need for more opportunity.

Are my fears justified?
I think we all have the fear somewhere in us that as quick as we came up we could go back down. As some have now coined the phrase - We could do a Melbourne. I'm one that doesn't that so but you are right some other teams seem to be far more active and may well get improvement from their trading BUT as we saw last year with the Lions growth also has to come from within. The Dogs with a forward target that can take a mark and crash packs you would think are better, the Eagles with another top line mid fielder is scary but both are top 8 teams already. Carlton and St Kilda you would think may improve but only if they get growth under new coaches then you would think the Crows will go backward as possibly will Port, North and the Pies. Hawks and Swans about the same and I'd expect the Suns to win a few more than last year. I think the Lions traded brilliantly last year but our real improvement was with the internal growth and we have a lot more to come from our under 23 brigade. Fagan out of the Hawks stable and a man with a reputation for development of people was the perfect choice, our team is playing for him now and everything I hear any of them say is about constant improvement. I personally think we will be better next near even if we don't trade anyone else and it would be spectacular of any of this coming draft crop get to play senior footy.

The Gary Buckenara analysis of clubs lists and trade possibilities is interesting reading. He is brutal with some of his grading of players. For example from Essendon Zach Merrett and Dyson Heppell only B grade. Jack Billings from Saints is B minus. He has done analysis on four clubs. Only one player got an A rating from Carlton that obviously being Cripps. Sloane the only one from Crows. And nothing for the other 2 Essendon and St Kilda clubs.

I think the Lions have four clear cut A graders in Zorko - Neale - Cameron and Andrews with McCluggage on the brink. Be interesting to see how we rates our list. Especially someone like Darcy Gardiner who I rate very highly and goes under the radar.

Plenty of people will disagree with Buckenaras opinions but at least it's something different to read amongst the monotonous trade dribble. Also don't forget he was the guy who was in charge of the Hawks list management when they got Hodge - Buddy and Lewis.

Surely ah chee goes through soon would love it to be our pick in the 40s . Or the coasters gonna want pick in 30s . Wouldn’t even mind it being a future second to be honest as next years draft doesn’t look great from all accounts .

honestly you can understand N Robbo, Squizzy and Cuts looking elsewhere.
They are all team players and I assume love the place, although this year all played 5 or under games
Cutler 3 after 18 last year.
Taylor 5 after 22,22,19,22 and 22 the previous years.
Nick 5 after 21 the previous 2 years
So you can understand shopping themselves around if we not sure.
They not getting any younger and you say players like E Smith, T Berry and Joyce coming through it could get worse for them.

The Gary Buckenara analysis of clubs lists and trade possibilities is interesting reading. He is brutal with some of his grading of players. For example from Essendon Zach Merrett and Dyson Heppell only B grade. Jack Billings from Saints is B minus. He has done analysis on four clubs. Only one player got an A rating from Carlton that obviously being Cripps. Sloane the only one from Crows. And nothing for the other 2 Essendon and St Kilda clubs.

I think the Lions have four clear cut A graders in Zorko - Neale - Cameron and Andrews with McCluggage on the brink. Be interesting to see how we rates our list. Especially someone like Darcy Gardiner who I rate very highly and goes under the radar.

Plenty of people will disagree with Buckenaras opinions but at least it's something different to read amongst the monotonous trade dribble. Also don't forget he was the guy who was in charge of the Hawks list management when they got Hodge - Buddy and Lewis.

Is this only available through herald sun?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back