2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

Only happened twice since 1990.

Maybe about time.

Depends how you look at it. If it happens next year it will be 3 times in 6 seasons. If the draw was random then a Vic team would be interstate for Round 1 only once every 4 and a half years on average, so we'd be way ahead of that.

IDGAF though, we'll play the right amount of interstate games again so it doesn't particularly worry me what rounds they occur in.

My crack at Round 1 based on the rumours so far: (in no particular order):

Richmond vs Carlton
St Kilda vs North Melbourne
Hawthorn vs Brisbane
West Coast vs Adelaide
Port Adelaide vs Fremantle
Collingwood vs GWS
Gold Coast vs Western Bulldogs
Sydney vs Melbourne
Cool

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My crack at Round 1 based on rumours so far (in no particular order)

Richmond vs Carlton
St Kilda vs North Melbourne
Hawthorn vs Brisbane
West Coast vs Adelaide
Port Adelaide vs Fremantle
Collingwood vs GWS
Geelong vs Melbourne
Gold Coast vs Western Bulldogs
Sydney vs Essendon

Giants will play at home in round 1. In Sydney they rotate every 3 years on who hosts round 1.
2012-GWS v Swans
2013-GWS v Swans
2014-GWS v Swans
2015-Swans v Dons
2016-Swans v Pies
2017-Swans v Port
2018-GWS v Dogs
2019-GWS v Dons
2020-GWS v ?
If this pattern continues GWS will play at home in 2020 in round 1.

My round 1 prediction:

THURSDAY
RICH v CARL MCG 7:25 (7)

FRIDAY
COLL v GEEL MCG 7:50 (7)

SATURDAY
HAW v BL MCG 1:45 (FOX)
PORT v FREM AO 4:35 (FOX)
ESS v SYD MRVL 7:25 (7)
GCS v MELB MS 7:25 (FOX)

SUNDAY
STK v NM MRVL 1:10 (FOX)
GWS v WB GIA 3:20 (7)
WC v ADE OS 6:20 (FOX)

It’l be China then the bye then Darwin

Basically what we did last year just Darwin instead of Townsville.
If that’s the case wouldn’t you best served playing China-Darwin-bye.

You blokes will be absolutely cooked if you have to play a game the week after Darwin...two weeks after flying to China.

I’d say it’s more likely you’ll play Gc in Darwin later in the year.

Professional leagues like the NFL, NBA and EPL would be laughing at the fact that we have the same season opener every year whereby the same team is expected to win easily and does win easily.

Don't know why they don't do the following options to open the season:

1) Two big VIC clubs at the MCG who are in finals contention (eg - Rich, Coll, Ess, Haw). Would draw 75K easily in any combo.
2) West Coast versus basically anyone at Optus. Will be sure to pack out.
3) Adelaide versus basically anyone at AO. Will be sure to pack out.
4) Brisbane versus a contender at GABBA. How many entertaining games did we see at the GABBA this year?
Brisbane is a great idea - they are on the up and its a great way to promote the game there - brizzy collingwood for my money

You blokes will be absolutely cooked if you have to play a game the week after Darwin...two weeks after flying to China.

That’s what they made us do last year haha so wouldn’t surprise me.

This season we went China-Bye-Townsville, and we looked exhausted by the Townsville game (not helping half the team had Gastro when in China)

It was a stoke of luck we were against Gold Coast who only could only sustain a half. Then the following week against Brisbane played probably the worst second half possible against Brisbane. Brisbane were great but it looked like our guys just ran out of gas and couldn't move.

They were bad with the scheduling for Port as well. They went Tassie-China-Bye-Perth, and no surprise, they lost in Perth after all that travel and didnt score in the last quarter. Just dumb fixture around this game all round by the AFL.

They were bad with the scheduling for Port as well. They went Tassie-China-Bye-Perth, and no surprise, they lost in Perth after all that travel and didnt score in the last quarter. Just dumb fixture around this game all round by the AFL.
Port Adelaide will realise one day the real cost of their venture into China really is. No longer can they claim they exist to win premierships.

The average margin over the last four years is only 27 points. I hope you were crying just as loudly for Richmond to have the fixture taken off them when they were continually getting 10 goal hidings to open the season?
Why would i, im no a richmond supporter.
2 out of 12 games have been watchable.

We could, but then at some point we'd be asked to rejoin, if only to again fulfill Ross Oakley's wish and prop up the endlessly poor-performing VFL clubs with licence fees.

I think the previous poster meant you the fan not the clubs, IF all of the SA fans were to turn their back on the AFL and by extension the demise of those two teams then I doubt there'd be a "please come back".

After all IF those poor performing clubs weren't viable they'd be gone by now given the intent of HQ to force the game where it's not wanted i:e the rl states. If anything it's the rest of the competition that's keeping gc and gws viable.

There's enough footy following public in vic to keep those "poor performing" clubs. I'm assuming you're looking at 3 clubs................ the minimum member base for any vic club is approx 40k. I doubt HQ needs non vic clubs to "prop" them up - they'd be gone by now if that was the case.

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 AFL fixture released

Remove this Banner Ad

Back