Unofficial Preview 2020 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kid just sounds Hawthorn to me. Dunno, just a strong gut feel.
When a kid says “My dream result would be to go to the Hawks”

He has me sold.

I see he is coming 2nd in the poll maybe a few folks did not get RNL memo, regarding Hollands

Last edited:

Agreed. This isn’t the first time he has singled out hawthorn and talked them up in a interview.
My gut feel says we will pick him also, and I would be thrilled if we did. As others said above our midfield needs more depth and class - with all the uncertainty he is the smart choice then work on key position and small forward needs in our other picks and next year.

I'm assuming you are referring to Phillips? I agree.

He isn't my number one choice for pick 4 but I get the love affair with him. Hawks could very easily take him with our first choice and I don't think anyone on here would hate it.

Couldn't ask for a better write-up

Sounds like he would just lap up what Mitchell would teach him.
He definitely has a Hawthorn feel to him in the way he speaks. Professional, driven, thirst to learn. He would be more like Lachie Neale than any of our current inside mids with his explosiveness and taking the game on. Think Jaegar would need to adapt into different positions. We couldn't go with a midfield of Mitchell, Omera, Phillips and Worpel..Need to find a big bodied midfielder to compliment what we have...Maybe Day in time becomes that player.

When a kid says “My dream result would be to go to the Hawks”

He has me sold.
I mean that would be every top 5 picks dream, why would you wanna play for the crows Suns Essendon Or norf. Horrible organisations. If the Pies who he grew up following pretty heavily had a top pick then he’d be saying it’s a dream to play for them not us.

Last edited:
He definitely has a Hawthorn feel to him in the way he speaks. Professional, driven, thirst to learn. He would be more like Lachie Neale than any of our current inside mids with his explosiveness and taking the game on. Think Jaegar would need to adapt into different positions. We couldn't go with a midfield of Mitchell, Omera, Phillips and Worpel..Need to find a big bodied midfielder to compliment what we have...Maybe Day in time becomes that player.
Not sure Will ever becomes the big body you speak of. Finn on the other hand.

Could not agree more. As much I despise Selwood he bleeds blue and white for the cats, and makes players around him better.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, Phillips time looks like a Joel Selwood mark 2 WITH LEG SPEED

Not getting sucked into the Perkins bigger body/big upside stuff. So many bigger type midfielders have been talked up over the years and ultimately failed to deliver

There are pretty much only three big bodied midfielders who dominate on the AFL - Fyfe, Cripps and Bobtempelli. Not saying Perkins will never get to that level but the odds of him getting there are very very slim.

Phillips all the way ..

Could not agree more. As much I despise Selwood he bleeds blue and white for the cats, and makes players around him better.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, Phillips time looks like a Joel Selwood mark 2 WITH LEG SPEED

Not getting sucked into the Perkins bigger body/big upside stuff. So many bigger type midfielders have been talked up over the years and ultimately failed to deliver

There are pretty much only three big bodied midfielders who dominate on the AFL - Fyfe, Cripps and Bobtempelli. Not saying Perkins will never get to that level but the odds of him getting there are very very slim.

Phillips all the way ..
Agree 100% on this

Phillips all the way ..
Not bad...A grade pun

Slim....hahaha.

Phillips all the way ..
185cm is the best height for winning clearances. The only mid we have of the height is Worpel and I'm doubtful he is actually that tall and if he is, he plays smaller. We are desperate for some taller mids. They don't have to be 190cm but they do need to be larger. Finn could be one. Another would be great.

In our premiership years we had Lewis, Hodge, Burgoyne and Roughy as taller mids that could run through the middle. Currently our only option to play more than a couple of games is Howe!

185cm is the best height for winning clearances. The only mid we have of the height is Worpel and I'm doubtful he is actually that tall and if he is, he plays smaller. We are desperate for some taller mids. They don't have to be 190cm but they do need to be larger. Finn could be one. Another would be great.

In our premiership years we had Lewis, Hodge, Burgoyne and Roughy as taller mids that could run through the middle. Currently our only option to play more than a couple of games is Howe!

Sam Mitchell is the no.1 all time clearance player at 180cm. Before that I think it was Diesel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillips all the way ..
Perkins has elite speed, athleticism and can kick goals, it’s what the midfield needs. Happy with either but Perkins has that upside of breaking games open with his speed and goal kicking, also seems a decent kick so he has some class to him. With pick 4 you aim to land a super star potential player not the safe one.

Last edited:
Perkins has elite speed, athleticism and can kick goals, it’s what the midfield needs. Happy with either but Phillips has that upside of breaking games open with his speed and goal kicking, also seems a decent kick so he has some class to him. With pick 4 you aim to land a super star potential player not the safe one.
So you are saying they both have speed and goal kicking, but Perkins has more athleticism?

I hope its not the same athleticism that Connor Nash has.

So you are saying they both have speed and goal kicking, but Perkins has more athleticism?

I hope its not the same athleticism that Connor Nash has.
Also I meant to say Perkins not Phillips. I’ll edit that now. Phillips is quick like a Zach Merrett/Neale Perkins is fast like a Dangerfield. Perkins is bigger stronger faster and a better goal kicker which is what the mid lacks. We defs can’t go wrong with drafting Phillips the kid will be a very good player it’s just preference. Interesting to see who we go with, the safe player that will be instantly be good and probably a captain down the line or the player with higher upside that can take over games

Last edited:
Perkins is bigger, stronger, faster. Phillips isn’t the game breaking speed mid that Perkins could be.
All the blokes drafted COULD be superstars.

There is more to drafting than just pure footy talent or upside, the interview process sorts a lot of that out.

I remember a recruing guy say that "The warning bells were there when we interviewed him we just did not hear them" when it came to Dowler after we delisted him.

So if it was a choice between Phillips and Perkins the club may well think Perkins has more upside, but they may also think Phillips could get more out of himself.

We have the best draft pick at our disposal for donkeys years and I am sure it will be no picnic choosing our guy.

In every top 5 I have seen Phillips is there or therabouts combine that with the way the kid comes across, has me sold.

But what would we all know?

Maybe the club has someone none of us have factored in yet, on the radar.

The argument against Phillips that we have similar types in Mitchell, O'Meara and Worpel is misguided too. Firstly, Phillips has pace whereas they do not, but more importantly, pick 4 is not about the next 2 years, it is about the next 10. Mitchell and O'Meara are 28/27 next year. Both are banged up. They might not have more than 3 more years of good footy in them. In 5 years time they will not be leading our midfield if they are even still a part of it. By then Phillips will be 23 and entering his prime. If our number priority is not to waste pick 4, Phillips is the safest guy in the draft. And he smacks of good character (and good judgment given his respect for Hawthorn!)

For sure we lack that element right now. Howe had a stretch of tagging games where he looked promising and used his size well but doesn't look like he'll cut it. The height and skills of our mids also restricts versatility, which we used to have in spades. None of our 3 main centre square mids have been consistent as a marking threat or as distributors behind the ball. Phillips does seem in that same mould where there aren't good signs that he could have stints off half back or up forward. I'm really hoping Worps and Jaeger show more there in the next few years. Finn at least had positive wraps for his forward versatility as a junior. I really want him to break through because he has that size.

I know it's a cardinal sin to get caught up with fit and list needs at the top end of the draft, but it's the only thing making me hedge away from Phillips at our pick. Every indication he'll make the most of his career.

All the blokes drafted COULD be superstars.

There is more to drafting than just pure footy talent or upside, the interview process sorts a lot of that out.

I remember a recruing guy say that "The warning bells were there when we interviewed him we just did not hear them" when it came to Dowler after we delisted him.

So if it was a choice between Phillips and Perkins the club may well think Perkins has more upside, but they may also think Phillips could get more out of himself.

We have the best draft pick at our disposal for donkeys years and I am sure it will be no picnic choosing our guy.

In every top 5 I have seen Phillips is there or therabouts combine that with the way the kid comes across, has me sold.

But what would we all know?

Maybe the club has someone none of us have factored in yet, on the radar.
I think the interview process has become over rated. Of course they are all on their best behaviour and give the perfect answers so it would be a hard process to do. For example Hartung and his dad would have seemed fine. You would hope the clubs speak to the players junior coaches and the coaches give honest answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back