Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s all sing kumbaya. How is it boring suggesting I think another saints player is better than long in that position. I think some seriously think I want a hawthorn player playing there. And it’s not boring for me. I write for me not anyone else. No work for at least 10 days so it’s going to be a nightmare when I get back but nothing compared to you and shingles. Nothing compares to you. Great song
So you’ve seen Long play that position?

From the outside looking in, Long has always appeared to be highly regarded internally. I like him, but as with many others on here, have also scratched my ever balding head at his selection on more than one occasion. I mean how many 6 to 8 possession games, and 5 frees against, can a guy get away with?
For all that, the bloke has potential to burn, and seems pretty switched on. If the HBF is where it's all going to come together for him, then we may have another guy edging towards A grade come the end of the year. We need to unearth as many of them as we can find...and I wouldn't be surprised if 2020 is all about that.

Longs a funny one. I think the reason he is regarded so highly internally and by me is because he has that X factor, is fast and is silky, all traits that should make him a good, if not great player.

Small forward is not an easy position to play, especially in your first couple seasons when getting a read on the pace of AFL footy and competing against the bigger lads. (Not that that seems to phase little Longy)

IMO it was only a matter of time before it ‘clicked‘ for Longy, and he had some good moments down back late last season. Hopefully that’s the start of him living up to his potential.

So you’ve seen Long play that position?
Yes last year matter of fact. I don’t understand the point though. I’m all for him playing hbf. Think it’s a great idea. Just think training form matters little compared to games against opposition. I can’t what is wrong thinking like that. I would hope the coaches think exactly the same.

Yes last year matter of fact. I don’t understand the point though. I’m all for him playing hbf. Think it’s a great idea. Just think training form matters little compared to games against opposition. I can’t what is wrong thinking like that. I would hope the coaches think exactly the same.
So you’ve seen Long play the position for exactly how long?
Point is you’ve made comparison with other saints players I mean WTF.
If you think it’s a great idea then why are you saying other saints players are better
I mean what WTF is your point?

Longs a funny one. I think the reason he is regarded so highly internally and by me is because he has that X factor, is fast and is silky, all traits that should make him a good, if not great player.

Small forward is not an easy position to play, especially in your first couple seasons when getting a read on the pace of AFL footy and competing against the bigger lads. (Not that that seems to phase little Longy)

IMO it was only a matter of time before it ‘clicked‘ for Longy, and he had some good moments down back late last season. Hopefully that’s the start of him living up to his potential.

If guys like Battle, Long, Clark, Coffield, Patton take big strides during the course of the year I'll consider the year a success. If we get gains from the likes of Parker, Langlands, and Hind in their second season, be it in the senior team or spells in Sandy, I'll be happy. If the standard team big guns like Marshall, Carlisle, Membrey, Steele & Ross, keep motoring on and play at their best...then I can look at 2021 with my mind set on some real September action. This year is about making the list accountable, seeing what we've got, and getting the system to gel. It could be anything, but it'll be certainly be interesting.

If guys like Battle, Long, Clark, Coffield, Patton take big strides during the course of the year I'll consider the year a success. If we get gains from the likes of Parker, Langlands, and Hind in their second season, be it in the senior team or spells in Sandy, I'll be happy. If the standard team big guns like Marshall, Carlisle, Membrey, Steele & Ross, keep motoring on and play at their best...then I can look at 2021 with my mind set on some real September action. This year is about making the list accountable, seeing what we've got, and getting the system to gel. It could be anything, but it'll be certainly be interesting.
There's just too much going on for nothing to happen. There will be something to hang our hats on either way..

If you think it’s a great idea then why are you saying other saints players are better

I don’t mean to be rude but other saints players are better in proper matches. The weight some have on these muck around intraclub games is crazy. As I said all they do is give you the chance to play practice matches against a real side. On that form long will be given his chance but to suggest he is ahead of others with real form is crazy stuff. He maybe but that’s 4 weeks away. It’s not that hard to understand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His point is the one that has been made for a century about March champions.

It all started from some poster who hadn't even been at training saying Long was a 'lock' for HBF.

His point is the one that has been made for a century about March champions.

It all started from some poster who hadn't even been at training saying Long was a 'lock' for HBF.
I think I need to explain even though it doesn’t seem to hard to comprehend imo. Firstly I have nothing against long as a player. To me he has been a fringe player so far and that’s fine. He is young All I have said is at the moment I think he is behind others as a hbf based on footy against actual sides. Matter of fact I doubt many had long as a backline player when they did their sides a few weeks ago. Now all of a sudden many have him as a hbf because of intraclub games. These games are for 2 main reasons practice and to try others in different positions. Some will never play a game in those positions. As I hsrddly get to training at best I go 2 or 3 times a week I rely on others for form remembering these games aren’t hard contact and most likely aren’t 18 on 18. Long has done well apparently but surely people aren’t now putting him in their sides because of these game.

Unfortunately some are which I’m stunned at. As if rats picks the first round side from these games. What he does pick from these games though is the first practice games and from all reports long deserves a game as a back but that doesn’t mean he has passed players who I class as better in those positions when picking a proper side. 8 or 9 backs will get a chance in the practice games and if he is in the best 7 and the side is balanced he plays. If he isn’t in the best 7 and the side is balanced he misses out. These practice games have no bearing on round one and that’s all I’ve been saying and will keep saying when challenged

I think I need to explain even though it doesn’t seem to hard to comprehend imo. Firstly I have nothing against long as a player. To me he has been a fringe player so far and that’s fine. He is young All I have said is at the moment I think he is behind others as a hbf based on footy against actual sides. Matter of fact I doubt many had long as a backline player when they did their sides a few weeks ago. Now all of a sudden many have him as a hbf because of intraclub games. These games are for 2 main reasons practice and to try others in different positions. Some will never play a game in those positions. As I hsrddly get to training at best I go 2 or 3 times a week I rely on others for form remembering these games aren’t hard contact and most likely aren’t 18 on 18. Long has done well apparently but surely people aren’t now putting him in their sides because of these game.

Unfortunately some are which I’m stunned at. As if rats picks the first round side from these games. What he does pick from these games though is the first practice games and from all reports long deserves a game as a back but that doesn’t mean he has passed players who I class as better in those positions when picking a proper side. 8 or 9 backs will get a chance in the practice games and if he is in the best 7 and the side is balanced he plays. If he isn’t in the best 7 and the side is balanced he misses out. These practice games have no bearing on round one and that’s all I’ve been saying and will keep saying when challenged

Please, nobody challenge him.

challenge.gif

I don’t mean to be rude but other saints players are better in proper matches. The weight some have on these muck around intraclub games is crazy. As I said all they do is give you the chance to play practice matches against a real side. On that form long will be given his chance but to sgest he is ahead of others with real form is crazy stuff. He maybe but that’s 4 weeks away. It’s not that hard to understand.
Your not rude mate just opinionated. Fair enough.
If you haven’t seen him play enough minutes in a position then there’s not much for you to go on.
I’m not going by the practice match. I’m going by the coaches wanting/trying him in the position. Didn’t see the practice match.
My opinion is most we have currently are dead ordinary in the position, Robertson being the exception but he’s to prove he’s ready.
pretty sure I haven’t said he’s ahead of others I’m just saying you can’t really go by much until we see what he has to offer.

Who do you rate currently as better?

Your not rude mate just opinionated. Fair enough.
If you haven’t seen him play enough minutes in a position then there’s not much for you to go on.
I’m not going by the practice match. I’m going by the coaches wanting/trying him in the position. Didn’t see the practice match.
My opinion is most we have currently are dead ordinary in the position, Robertson being the exception but he’s to prove he’s ready.
pretty sure I haven’t said he’s ahead of others I’m just saying you can’t really go by much until we see what he has to offer.
Exactly what I have been saying. My first response if you looked was to a person who hadn’t even seen him train yet he said he was a lock. He obviously isn’t until he plays practice games. Many players are locks before practice games. He isn’t one

Who do you rate currently as better?
On real form and if fit Webster geary and Clark. Maybe even coffield as he was playing there last year before injury. That’s a fair few he needs to pass. And then it depends how they play robbo and Wilkie. If he is the top 7 backs after practice games he plays

Skills drills happening at training right now

Gears and Seb training the house down

Both look set for Round 1

AyBPscSoEBIvzgcnhSltuPWyTboA3BTg2cCZpAPkgQwvQPpoxVLmoO4BsDOjs9WtFy9c5lBKgzKWZ95PdluOleTT_XHtQ_jTp0e21EoYALAhgj2i3l8=w439-h335

On real form and if fit Webster geary and Clark. Maybe even coffield as he was playing there last year before injury. That’s a fair few he needs to pass. And then it depends how they play robbo and Wilkie. If he is the top 7 backs after practice games he plays
Dont know if Webster and Geary will be fit.

They have had Clark rotating through the mids.
Coffield certainly has shown he is a genuine backman more than mid.

Robbo looked a bit rusty. Reckon after the praccy's Robbo and Coff will be his biggest challenge.
I reckon long has a genuine opportunity to cement a spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back