Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

So the players are let off scott free and its all Dixon's fault.

A bit like it was all Lyon's fault we lost the 2009 GF although we kicked 7.7 to 7.1 in the first half.

I agree Dixon should go, but the players are equally at fault.

Take from it what you want but my wife has been doing some work with a guy who claims to be close mates with a recent very high profile Saints official. Judging by his past work I think I know who he is. The two things my wife could remember him saying about us was that the club don't expect to make massive improvement on field but are now on the right path and that the last regime had a preference for ex-footballers over experts in specific areas.

To me Dixon is the classic example of that ex-footballer appointment. The guy was a dead eye kick on goal so stands to reason he's the best person to teach others to kick for goal. Compared to Rath types who are very specific experts who have a background in teaching footballers I think it shows the new way of recruiting for needs.

Take from it what you want but my wife has been doing some work with a guy who claims to be close mates with a recent very high profile Saints official. Judging by his past work I think I know who he is. The two things my wife could remember him saying about us was that the club don't expect to make massive improvement on field but are now on the right path and that the last regime had a preference for ex-footballers over experts in specific areas.

To me Dixon is the classic example of that ex-footballer appointment. The guy was a dead eye kick on goal so stands to reason he's the best person to teach others to kick for goal. Compared to Rath types who are very specific experts who have a background in teaching footballers I think it shows the new way of recruiting for needs.
Hadn’t Dixon coached before? Blaming him for our kicking is typical saints supporter stuff. Always looking for excuses when it’s usually mainly the players fault

Hadn’t Dixon coached before? Blaming him for our kicking is typical saints supporter stuff. Always looking for excuses when it’s usually mainly the players fault

I don't think he was able to impart his knowledge which is evidenced by his inability to improve them. They look like they have psychological unravelling in front of goal. Dixon used the set routine thing and kicking when you're tired stuff that everyone has always done but he's still just a guy who could kick himself not an expert on teaching it. I tried to teach my daughter drums. I can play well still but I'll be ****ed if I can tell her how to do it. I'm now paying someone else to teach her and getting better results.

I don't think he was able to impart his knowledge which is evidenced by his inability to improve them. They look like they have psychological unravelling in front of goal. Dixon used the set routine thing and kicking when you're tired stuff that everyone has always done but he's still just a guy who could kick himself not an expert on teaching it. I tried to teach my daughter drums. I can play well still but I'll be f’ed if I can tell her how to do it. I'm now paying someone else to teach her and getting better results.
Some players haven’t improved a lot of things over the last few years not just the kicking even though one of our worst has in billings so it isn’t just Dixon. As I said I think Dixon has coached before. And I also think what you tried to teach your daughter is irrelevant. I’m going it’s more likely the players than the coaches. You pick unskilled players ten you get unskilled kicking for goal.

I don't think he was able to impart his knowledge which is evidenced by his inability to improve them. They look like they have psychological unravelling in front of goal. Dixon used the set routine thing and kicking when you're tired stuff that everyone has always done but he's still just a guy who could kick himself not an expert on teaching it. I tried to teach my daughter drums. I can play well still but I'll be f’ed if I can tell her how to do it. I'm now paying someone else to teach her and getting better results.

I tried teaching my daughter to play guitar, using similar methods to how i learned.
I figured i needed someone else to teach her, because everyone knows its fine to ignore dad.

Some players haven’t improved a lot of things over the last few years not just the kicking even though one of our worst has in billings so it isn’t just Dixon. As I said I think Dixon has coached before. And I also think what you tried to teach your daughter is irrelevant. I’m going it’s more likely the players than the coaches. You pick unskilled players ten you get unskilled kicking for goal.

Do you think skills can't be taught Plugger?
I mean things like fine motor skills are inbuilt to a degree , but still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think skills can't be taught Plugger?
I mean things like fine motor skills are inbuilt to a degree , but still.
Kicking for goal can certainly be taught but only with some players and it’s harder now because of the limit fitness guys put on kicking. Other skills are just about impossible to teach after it’s been inbuilt. Irish guys haven’t had the inbuilt skills. Every player would be skilled if they started with afl coaches at 8 years of age. The problem is local coaches and parents.

Kicking for goal can certainly be taught but only with some players and it’s harder now because of the limit fitness guys put on kicking. Other skills are just about impossible to teach after it’s been inbuilt. Irish guys haven’t had the inbuilt skills. Every player would be skilled if they started with afl coaches at 8 years of age. The problem is local coaches and parents.
Tend to agree with that, though i wouldn't say just about impossible! More very difficult!

But the one that gets me is kicking for Goal! It can def be improved over time with the right routine.
Yet i see clubs still persist with letting the fitness guys have their pedantic way and won't let players practice over and over!
Madness in my view!

And yep those dubious parents with their inability to use contraceptives in the first place leave a lot to be desired!
Some Footballers should have just remained Sauce and not become living entities at all!

I mean seriously who was responsible for bringing bloody Neville Bruns into this world!

Tend to agree with that, though i wouldn't say just about impossible! More very difficult!

But the one that gets me is kicking for Goal! It can def be improved over time with the right routine.
Yet i see clubs still persist with letting the fitness guys have their pedantic way and won't let players practice over and over!
Madness in my view!

And yep those dubious parents with their inability to use contraceptives in the first place leave a lot to be desired!
Some Footballers should have just remained Sauce and not become living entities at all!

I mean seriously who was responsible for bringing bloody Neville Bruns into this world!

Mrs Bruns. Not that hard to work out.

Dixon was probably just having a laugh Judging by the comical approaches and the results.

He probably has a comedy collection he shows his mates after a few beer, guys walking in to kick for goal looking like they have a turtle head emergency and can’t find a toilet. Guys with perfectly normal field kicking actions tied in knots kicking for goal.
Delivered nothing imo

So the players are let off scott free and its all Dixon's fault.

A bit like it was all Lyon's fault we lost the 2009 GF although we kicked 7.7 to 7.1 in the first half.

I agree Dixon should go, but the players are equally at fault.
Doesn't excuse the players at all.
The lack of improvement in goal kicking was obvious so wasn't working and right call to send Dixon on his way.

In fairness to Ben Dixon, our set shot accuracy did improve this year from around 40% up to 51%, which is better than or equal to 9 other clubs.

It was our general play goals at 35% which let us down and something he had nothing to do with.

Neville Bruns looks like Scratcher Neal after he’s appeared in an in episode of The Swan and received a full makeover.

I'd suggest there's more than just onfield football performance reasons as to why players like newnes and Bruce were let go.

Ratts didn't exactly hide his opinion of the club under richo. He's basically said the culture of the club needs to be rebuilt.

Which is pretty scary given Thomas was trying to do the same thing more than a decade ago.

Hey tightarses, we need more cash for our player sponsorship this year. Poliing well is that hot sex-machine Dingley Liquorland, any one wanting to spread some Christmas cheer to a man that's name has given us hours of amusement should jump on. If you're keen, jump on the sticky above and pledge to Boydie who does a great job organising year on year. I think shares are $25 and you might get a great prize or a night at a Saints event with dinner and player meets. I highly recommend it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back