Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, isn't jealously a curse. Passing on some tips isn't worth it.
I think people can pass on what they like. I also think others can question it. And why care if you are questioned don’t respond if it annoys you. For example I know king will play mainly full back this year.

I think people can pass on what they like. I also think others can question it. And why care if you are questioned don’t respond if it annoys you. For example I know king will play mainly full back this year.

No problems q'ing my info but I wish it was that simple as some want it. Its not how the world works!

Anyway, back to work. No more whispers until after Xmas.

If Sam could play he would've been picked up by another club

That sounds like Plugger talking. Heaps of people who are good players don't get another go. Some guys are considered good VFL players and never get a chance. Podsiadly got a go in his late 20s and was great for a few years despite year after year getting overlooked for example. So much has to go right to get a second chance. A lot is attitude and a bit of luck. Wilkie missed the draft for example and if it wasn't for Tim Kelly making a huge splash he probably would have played out his days in the SANFL putting in tax returns. It takes a huge gamble to put your life on hold to even ask for another go.

Went down to training today. Found it kind of hard to take in because there was so much going on! A lot of running, interspersed with handballing drills, kicking drills and some match sim, so a bit hard to take it all in but I'll offer a few general comments.

Hannebery and Webster were running laps with another big guy who may have been Abbot. Webster ran a LOT, but obviously not participating in anything else so guessing he's still having issues with his hand. He and Hannebery had a kick around at some stage, so obviously Hanners is pretty close to getting back out there, guessing he'll be back in after Christmas.

Stand outs of training were:
Hill - fit as, he was really leading the way in the running stuff, saw him talk to the whole group at another stage, aside from the fact that he is just silk in everything he does. Looks like a great pick up.
King - he was playing full forward in match sim on Brown, it was a really good battle! He took some good marks, but mostly it's his kicking and work at ground level that looks pretty sublime.
Carlisle - appears to be about ten times fitter, really asserting himself.
Roberton - great to see him back out there, was playing loose back and looks comfortable.
Battle - looks in absolutely ripping nick.
Marshall - just a gun.
Clark - saw him do some nice things in the centre during match sim.
Lonie - did some really good work, I like what he brings to the team. I heard Ratten comment to another coach about something good he did.

A few other things I noticed; Leo Connolly is an interesting prospect. He's a good size and he kicks it beautifully off both feet. He was getting a lot of instructions and clearly looked a bit like a deer in the headlights, but when he gets it he uses it really well. Could be one to watch for the future.

The back line will be really hard to get into this year. I don't get the impression Battle will be moved forward judging from match sim. So Battle, Roberton, Wilkie, Howard, Webster, Geary, Savage, Coffield... bit of a logjam for spots back there.

Dougal Howard seems a competitive bloke. In a handballing drill where they have two teams and have to handball around he got called for a high tackle on Marshall when he thought it should have been HTB and he was not happy!

Logan Austin copped a spray from Ratten for not giving a handball to Hill when he was calling for it.

Jack Bytel is a great size! Didn't really notice him much, his kicking seems great though. But he looks very big and has the body of an AFL midfielder.

Zak Jones used his pace well at one stage, dashing through a pack and opening things up.

All in all it was interesting to see how much running we did! Some focus on skills but I think fitness is still obviously a huge focus for the group. There seemed to be a good vibe about the place, and always great to get down and have a look at the beautiful 66 cup.

Happy to answer questions about any of the players if anyone has any :)

That sounds like Plugger talking. Heaps of people who are good players don't get another go. Some guys are considered good VFL players and never get a chance. Podsiadly got a go in his late 20s and was great for a few years despite year after year getting overlooked for example. So much has to go right to get a second chance. A lot is attitude and a bit of luck. Wilkie missed the draft for example and if it wasn't for Tim Kelly making a huge splash he probably would have played out his days in the SANFL putting in tax returns. It takes a huge gamble to put your life on hold to even ask for another go.
How do you know they are good players if they don’t get another go. Brede seccell is about Sandy’s best player including the regular saints players at sandy That doesn’t mean he is even close to being an AFL player. I can’t remember a good player we delisted. Crocker certainly wasn’t a good player. He was just a bad pick.

And you are talking about guys who missed getting drafted. We are talking about players who had their chance and just weren’t good enough.

Geez, isn't jealously a curse. Passing on some tips isn't worth it.
You havnt passed on anything that just about every upright breathing person didnt know, maybe ease up with your so called scoops that arnt really scoops

Went down to training today. Found it kind of hard to take in because there was so much going on! A lot of running, interspersed with handballing drills, kicking drills and some match sim, so a bit hard to take it all in but I'll offer a few general comments.

Hannebery and Webster were running laps with another big guy who may have been Abbot. Webster ran a LOT, but obviously not participating in anything else so guessing he's still having issues with his hand. He and Hannebery had a kick around at some stage, so obviously Hanners is pretty close to getting back out there, guessing he'll be back in after Christmas.

Hill - fit as, he was really leading the way in the running stuff, saw him talk to the whole group at another stage, aside from the fact that he is just silk in everything he does. Looks like a great pick up.
King - he was playing full forward in match sim on Brown, it was a really good battle! He took some good marks, but mostly it's his kicking and work at ground level that looks pretty sublime.
Roberton - great to see him back out there, was playing loose back and looks comfortable.
Marshall - just a gun.
Lonie - did some really good work, I like what he brings to the team. I heard Ratten comment to another coach about something good he did.

A few other things I noticed; Leo Connolly is an interesting prospect. He's a good size and he kicks it beautifully off both feet. He was getting a lot of instructions and clearly looked a bit like a deer in the headlights, but when he gets it he uses it really well. Could be one to watch for the future.

The back line will be really hard to get into this year. I don't get the impression Battle will be moved forward judging from match sim. So Battle, Roberton, Wilkie, Howard, Webster, Geary, Savage, Coffield... bit of a logjam for spots back there.

Dougal Howard seems a competitive bloke. In a handballing drill where they have two teams and have to handball around he got called for a high tackle on Marshall when he thought it should have been HTB and he was not happy!

Logan Austin copped a spray from Ratten for not giving a handball to Hill when he was calling for it.

Jack Bytel is a great size! Didn't really notice him much, his kicking seems great though. But he looks very big and has the body of an AFL midfielder.

Zak Jones used his pace well at one stage, dashing through a pack and opening things up.

All in all it was interesting to see how much running we did! Some focus on skills but I think fitness is still obviously a huge focus for the group. There seemed to be a good vibe about the place, and always great to get down and have a look at the beautiful 66 cup.

Thanks for that , maybe Johnny can add to it ;)

How do you know they are good players if they don’t get another go. Brede seccell is about Sandy’s best player including the regular saints players at sandy That doesn’t mean he is even close to being an AFL player. I can’t remember a good player we delisted.

Hutchings, I guess?

Marshall - just a gun.

Thanks for the notes. Great to hear Max getting touches on a disciplined, negating defender like brown.

I would think the running load would have been increased leading into a break over Xmas/new year.

what's the go with Coffield

Marshall - just a gun.

Saw him get it only once, looked like he was playing half back, it was near the end of the session and I thought "Oh yeah Coff, forgot about him!" Certainly no indication that he wasn't getting amongst it, think he did a lot of work on the opposite end of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you know they are good players if they don’t get another go. Brede seccell is about Sandy’s best player including the regular saints players at sandy That doesn’t mean he is even close to being an AFL player. I can’t remember a good player we delisted. Crocker certainly wasn’t a good player. He was just a bad pick.

And you are talking about guys who missed getting drafted. We are talking about players who had their chance and just weren’t good enough.

How do you know Seccull wouldn't make it? He's slow but so was Sam Mitchell and Micheal Barlow. Sometimes players are a bust and sometimes they soar.

too much fruit toast
No such thing :p
He’s looking a little crusty at the moment, but is continuing to train hard which is raisin my hopes that his career will bear fruit 👍🏻

i9I4pTa.jpg

How do you know Seccull wouldn't make it? He's slow but so was Sam Mitchell and Micheal Barlow. Sometimes players are a bust and sometimes they soar.

It’s pretty simple why he won’t make it. No one wants him. Should have included Lenny in your example.
Anyway my point stands. You are using examples previously of players who hadn’t been tried. Crocker was tried and failed badly. Was no where near good enough as are 95% of players delisted from all clubs. I think you meant sour.

Marshall - just a gun.

Few questions regarding players
What positions are Joyce, McKenzie, Marsh, Paton training as.

Interesting news that Battle was training with backs. Will be tough for spots there!

Few questions regarding players
What positions are Joyce, McKenzie, Marsh, Paton training as.

Interesting news that Battle was training with backs. Will be tough for spots there!
I think DMac seemed to be playing more of a midfield role. Paton similar. Didn't see Joyce or Marsh sorry.

I think DMac seemed to be playing more of a midfield role. Paton similar. Didn't see Joyce or Marsh sorry.

Maybe they are following the advice from BF and looking at DMac as a tagger to free Steele up....

Maybe they are following the advice from BF and looking at DMac as a tagger to free Steele up....
Only problem with that is it’s a poor starting midfield. Imagine Ryder mckenzie steel and Ross compared to probably what we thought would have been the case half way through this year when looking at next year. Marshall Steven Steele Ross

A need four years in the future. Late pick, immature body, no previous experience in senior footy = probably no impact in 2020.
How often do first yea draftees taken that late in the draft impact in year 1?

We recruited 5 senior players and took Abbott. We don’t need to be dependent on kids.

The club is just messing with your heads , DMac in the guts , that will be the day

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back