List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t mind the strategy to be a bit quieter this year.

If no-one of serious quality wants to come this year and our 18-22 and depth is better then anyone we could trade in, why bother forcing it. Easy to off load salary cap into the front end of next years contracts like Rozee, Butters, etc.

Also it’s a riskier draft considering the CoVid year, good call to limit the risks.

Besides Bonner, I don’t think we have anybody we want to or is worth trading - where trade value is higher than what they are worth. Unless someone wants Rocky, or Motlop or maybe even Hartlett for something ridiculous.

Honest, if we picked up Orazio and Allir, got rid of Bonner, recruited Jones, Schofield and a project key back I’d be fine with that.

If we brought in a bigger defender I’d trade McKenzie.

I’d also trade Bonner for Fanta.

Garner for a points pick potentially also, his days appeared numbered due to depth in that position.

Garner for a points pick potentially also, his days appeared numbered due to depth in that position.
Garner's as hard as a cats head I wouldn't be surprised if he's one that plays well elsewhere & gets us annoyed at the club.

Agree with all of this.

Lachie Jones is just Garner but better. Hard to see Joel cracking the 22 any time soon now.

The afl brought in 2 expan clubs, which smashed the ability of teams that should have been rising to stock draft talent, and free agency which allowed the teams at the top to stock up while geelong is still be fitting from a dodgy father son rule that allowed them to double dip and pick up Selwood while getting Hawkins for a 3rd rounder.

This just served to delay the top teams drop, as were now seeing with hawks

Cats turn will come.

It did for Hawthorn though Geelong have been defying the odds for longer. They have been helped by the recruitment of Dangerfield, the fact that their KPFs like Hawkins and Taylor are still going and playing well, and some very good drafting and player development over the years. Cameron will not only help extend their window but may make them a more popular destination for FAs in the future. Let’s face it, they are just a really well run club that also capitalises on natural/comp structure advantages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing mind blowing in the comments to follow but I think any good trading strategy should draw on the halo effects of good or bad team performance.

For example, when a team is performing well it elevates the status of everyone playing regularly for that team. The opposite is true when teams are underperforming.

But that creates an opportunity to buy players from poor teams ‘low’, sell ‘high’ when your own team is performing well (especially if there are players you know are benefiting from the system/performance of other team members) and avoid trading for average players from other high performers whose own value is being inflated.

I like the idea of trading for Allir because he fits the ideal of good player (at least in terms of our needs) in a poor team that we can probably get for good price or at least a not inflated one.

Liverpool have done this pretty well in recent years. Sold Coutinho for an inflated price. Bought players like Mane, Robertson, and Wijnaldum from weaker teams cheaply (relatively!). Kind of like the opposite Man United have done!

It did for Hawthorn though Geelong have been defying the odds for longer. They have been helped by the recruitment of Dangerfield, the fact that their KPFs like Hawkins and Taylor are still going and playing well, and some very good drafting and player development over the years. Cameron will not only help extend their window but may make them a more popular destination for FAs in the future. Let’s face it, they are just a really well run club that also capitalises on natural/comp structure advantages.

The thing that Geelong has in its favour is the massive amount of players produced in the region. This lets them draft players from other places whilst having intimate knowledge of the players under their nose at the falcons (or even the GFL in tom stewarts case) who might be interested in returning home at some point in the future if drafted interstate.

Geelong have legit been up for 10 years. I remember when it was when Chapman, Corey , Enright ect all retire

I've been waiting for them to drop for my whole adult life.

They artificially propped themselves up with FA and trading out first round picks while GWS hoovered up all the talent.

Dangerfield, Henderson, Tuohy, Ablett, Stanley. All brought in (or back) to prolong the length of time the Cats would stay up the top with that remaining core from 2007.

It will be the same with us when we start targeting Lukousis and Rankine to add to Burton, Marshall, Powell-Pepper, Drew, Houston, Hayes, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Bergman, Georgiades, Williams, Mead, Jones and Schofield. It’ll seem like these guys have been playing forever and that Port is always around the mark like Geelong and Richmond.

When we don’t rate a draft, we’ll trade for players and the capital needed for F/S selections. I expect us to be up the top for the next ten years, and for Rankine to be Port’s “Dangerfield” in FA. Lukosius will be back earlier than that - Gold Coast is destined to never win a flag because no one cares about them.

We were also a bit lucky with Schulz. Bigfooty treated him like Sam Gray/Sutcliffe in his early games here and oddly enough he eventually broke out and found his niche.

Port Adelaide - where marking on a lead and kicking straight is considered a “niche” 😂

The thing that Geelong has in its favour is the massive amount of players produced in the region. This lets them draft players from other places whilst having intimate knowledge of the players under their nose at the falcons (or even the GFL in tom stewarts case) who might be interested in returning home at some point in the future if drafted interstate.

And the sanfl stripped us of that advantage.

Yeah, that was one of the natural advantages I was referring to...

Because the only reason why he’s going to Geelong is to play with Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins for a couple of years.

Personally I’d be heading to Port if I wanted sustained on field success. When those guys go Cameron will be stuck at a club that doesn’t have talent like Marshall, Georgiades, Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Burton, Ladhams etc pushing through because they kept trading out first round picks to get a flag.

Everyone knows they need a two forward attack:

Brisbane - Hipwood and Daniher
Geelong - Cameron and Hawkins
Richmond - Reiwoldt and Lynch
Port - Marshall and Dixon

If we want to take the next step, Todd Marshall has to step up and be the wingman to Dixon instead of the decoy. The time for excuses is over.
Spot on - in comic book terms, Charlie is Batman and Todd is Robin, always there as the faithful sidekick, till one day when Charlie goes to that great Batman retirement village in the sky and Todd will step up and be Batman with Georgie as his ever faithful companion, Robin. Always there by his side and never far-away. Hell, Georgie could even be “Apprentice Robin” for a while!
It’s that simple!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back