List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Hunter Clark can take another step in the middle next year, all of a sudden Zak Jones goes from our 2nd best mid to our 4th.

That would be the midfield depth we've been screaming out for.
We've got to get Bytel in for the majority of games too. That boy gonna be a beast..

Ignore: the purple prick is back to his favourite activity, setting Saints fans up to be disappointed. I reckon he must have an older brother who supports St Kilda and who mercilessly bullied him when they were little.

Reckon Purple has always been firm but fair with us. Was super critical of the Hannebery deal but has also given him props for stringing some good games together

Sometimes it can appear that individual moves, or trades may not make sense, or are in our eyes undervalued, poor value etc. I would suggest we are only seeing part of the chess board. As we saw clearly from last years trading, we are now run by professionals, who seek out deals, if they need to make them work they do, if they miss out, they quickly move to the next.

I say to international visitors that we take to the football, that it is entirely different when you are actually at the game. When you see it on television you only see what is happening around the ball. When you are at the game, you see the incredible gut running, defending, checking, defence etc. Seeing the whole picture helps you appreciate just what is happening.

My dear old dad used to say, "the deal of a lifetime, comes along once a month." It is clear that our football admin also subscribe to this. They put in the ground work, seek out deals, then solutions to these and move quickly to make them happen. Contrast this with the Injectors, where their trading and negotiation method is to stamp their feet and insist they must get, what they are demanding. This does work sometimes, as the other party may need what they are offering, but our approach is designed to seek solutions and make it work as often as possible.

For posters who are upset by Dunstan, Webster, Robbo etc leaving, I can't see the reason why? If we can continually keep improving our list and pushing the bottom 2, 3, 4, 5 on our list out, this is great list management. If by doing so, we can free up money to either front load contracts, so that Hill, Crouch etc are all paid as much as possible of their contracts now, this giving us much greater negotiating chips this year, or to secure a Ben King or our next target, for our merry little trading hit squad next year.

These are good days. Enjoy and savour how well we are being run at St Kilda.

Another 700k and a first round pick on another 28 year old mid with recent injury issues. Already have that in Hanners, Crouch the 27 year old version, Ross who will be 27 next year plus Hill on the outside who will be 28 next year. Would be putting our midfield at a completely different age profile as the rest of the list.

That money and pick would be much better spent getting in someone younger to spread out the age profile of the midfield or getting in some support up forward for King.
What is wrong with 27 year old players in their prime?
Yes they have had some injuries but most have. We also have one of the most renowned rehab and fitness teams to prepare them.
I like having more top age players ready to go and teach and put pressure on our kids to strive to be at the level that a Hill, Crouch, Treloar or De Goey perform at.
The best teams have this age demographic.
We want players of the highest level now. I am sick of waiting and want some attitude, high profile players who want success.

Sometimes it can appear that individual moves, or trades may not make sense, or are in our eyes undervalued, poor value etc. I would suggest we are only seeing part of the chess board. As we saw clearly from last years trading, we are now run by professionals, who seek out deals, if they need to make them work they do, if they miss out, they quickly move to the next.

I say to international visitors that we take to the football, that it is entirely different when you are actually at the game. When you see it on television you only see what is happening around the ball. When you are at the game, you see the incredible gut running, defending, checking, defence etc. Seeing the whole picture helps you appreciate just what is happening.

My dear old dad used to say, "the deal of a lifetime, comes along once a month." It is clear that our football admin also subscribe to this. They put in the ground work, seek out deals, then solutions to these and move quickly to make them happen. Contrast this with the Injectors, where their trading and negotiation method is to stamp their feet and insist they must get, what they are demanding. This does work sometimes, as the other party may need what they are offering, but our approach is designed to seek solutions and make it work as often as possible.

For posters who are upset by Dunstan, Webster, Robbo etc leaving, I can't see the reason why? If we can continually keep improving our list and pushing the bottom 2, 3, 4, 5 on our list out, this is great list management. If by doing so, we can free up money to either front load contracts, so that Hill, Crouch etc are all paid as much as possible of their contracts now, this giving us much greater negotiating chips this year, or to secure a Ben King or our next target, for our merry little trading hit squad next year.

Good post SS, also thanks a heap for your input throughout the year with regards to training reports! How’s the vibe up there for tomorrow mate?

Dunkley is a much better player than Merrett. Dunkley gets in and under to get the ball moving. He is the one who starts the chain of play. Is also a great mark with vice like hands.

Dunkley is also tough, courageous, unobtrusive and smart. Always thinking a step ahead. And his handball is an attacking weapon despite his average kicking.

Bulldogs get reamed in any swap of Merrett and Dunkley.

Well that is subjective. Merrett is consistently rated by good judges to be a top 3 ball user by foot in the comp (Dal Santo rates him as the best). The Bulldogs are stacked with contested beasts (Inc Bont, MacCrae, Libba - which is why Dunkley gets pushed out to other roles) whereas the Bombers are the opposite.

Only my opinion and irrelevant here anyway.

Whatever the final deal is it makes absolutely no sense for either club for Adelaide to match as soon as they do that there is one less first round draft pick in the mix whether that is pick 2 or 19. That is just throwing away an asset. Only Dodoro style campaigners make those kinds of moves.

What Adelaide needs is as many top end draft picks as they can get to fast track their rebuild.

What Adelaide have is cap space to burn and no one to spend it on.

What we need is Brad Crouch without having to give up our very limited draft picks

What we have is too many players on decent coin who are unlikely to play next year Dunstan Savage Webster Roberton but are still AFL quality

I expect there will be a deal of sorts but it will not be obvious to us what the real value is because the AFL keeps salary details private. Adelaide will not be giving up 2nd round picks for Dunstan and Webster. We might end up overpaying Crouch but likely the net effect is to give us more Cap space.

Ultimately we retain our pick 14 add Crouch and some more late draft picks and have the Cap Space either this year or next to keep adding to our best 22

Adelaide get their comp pick 2 or 19 Dunstan and Webster lose Crouch and some late draft picks. The AFL decision on the comp pick will likely alter what we get for Dunstan and Webster or whether we have to pay a portion of their salaries.

Giving up players who don't play but are consuming a fair slab of your Cap is a win just not as obvious.

Crouch isnt an A grade mid.
Sits in the tier below the real Agraders.

Yeah, I think there is always an interpretation when you talk grades. For me there is A, B, C, D grades then across the AFL there should be around 80 - 100 A graders. If you then divide that down to mids it would be something like 30 A grade mids in the comp. Is he amongst those? Don't know. Suspect he is close.

To me it is why you need an elite category ( Neale, Fyfe, Martin, Danger plus a couple of others). Others will say A grade = elite and very few players at that level. But I think it makes sense to have a standalone category for those 6 - 10 very special footballers.

Good post SS, also thanks a heap for your input throughout the year with regards to training reports! How’s the vibe up there for tomorrow mate?

Thanks. Rubgy commentators here are complaining, as all news and bulletins are about the AFL Grand Final. The only blight on the day is that we couldn't get two tickets. Yes I shouldn't complain to anyone out of Queensland about having to watch it on tv.

This year has advanced AFL tremendously in Queensland. You would have to think that junior numbers will continue to explode after the saturation coverage we got up here this year. Will be interesting to see if the local media keeps a higher profile on AFL next year. But then again if Dan Andrews still has you all locked up, we may have the 2021 season here too. Yahhhhhhhh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s the same thing I saw, no he didn’t re-sign.

He’s out of contract next year not this year. He basically just assured Essendon he would not request a trade this year.

October 23, 2020 11:35am
Tom Morris and David ZitaFOX SPORTS
AFL Trade Whispers: Zach Merrett to be at Essendon in 2021 - but a teammate appears Power-bound
Zach Merrett will remain with the Bombers in 2021. Picture: Ryan Pierse
Zach Merrett will remain with the Bombers in 2021. Picture: Ryan Pierse
While another Bomber has opted for a new club, Zach Merrett will remain at Essendon for the 2021 season.
Plus a departing Adelaide free agent has explained why he opted for the Saints and needs a fresh start.
Get all the latest player movement news in AFL Trade Whispers!
Catch Fox Footy’s Grand Final Week coverage on Kayo. Stream all the latest news and insight right up until first bounce plus half-time and full-time analysis from the Fox Footy commentary team. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
LISTEN TO THE LATEST EDITION OF THE FOX FOOTY PODCAST BELOW, OR TAP HERE TO SUBSCRIBE IN ITUNES OR SPOTIFY

gen_204

l

{"uid":0.4481030087813196,"hostPeerName":"https://coupler-foxsports-com-au.cdn.ampproject.org","initialGeometry":"{\"windowCoords_t\":0,\"windowCoords_r\":360,\"windowCoords_b\":664,\"windowCoords_l\":0,\"frameCoords_t\":1145,\"frameCoords_r\":330,\"frameCoords_b\":1395,\"frameCoords_l\":30,\"posCoords_t\":1145,\"posCoords_b\":1395,\"posCoords_r\":330,\"posCoords_l\":30,\"styleZIndex\":\"\",\"allowedExpansion_r\":60,\"allowedExpansion_b\":414,\"allowedExpansion_t\":0,\"allowedExpansion_l\":0,\"yInView\":0,\"xInView\":1}","permissions":"{\"expandByOverlay\":true,\"expandByPush\":true,\"readCookie\":false,\"writeCookie\":false}","metadata":"{\"shared\":{\"sf_ver\":\"1-0-37\",\"ck_on\":1,\"flash_ver\":\"26.0.0\",\"canonical_url\":\"https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af.../news-story/46398c08c9407b60bf5659cbcb3947fe\",\"amp\":{\"canonical_url\":\"https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af.../news-story/46398c08c9407b60bf5659cbcb3947fe\"}}}","reportCreativeGeometry":false,"isDifferentSourceWindow":false,"sentinel":"0-5026892643924826372","width":300,"height":250,"_context":{"ampcontextVersion":"2010132225002","ampcontextFilepath":"https://3p.ampproject.net/2010132225002/ampcontext-v0.js","sourceUrl":"https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s","referrer":"android-app://com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/","canonicalUrl":"https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/46398c08c9407b60bf5659cbcb3947fe","pageViewId":"2744","location":{"href":"https://coupler-foxsports-com-au.cd...errer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s"},"startTime":1603433020557,"tagName":"AMP-AD","mode":{"localDev":false,"development":false,"esm":false,"minified":true,"lite":false,"test":false,"version":"2010132225002","rtvVersion":"012010132225002"},"canary":false,"hidden":false,"initialLayoutRect":{"left":30,"top":1145,"width":300,"height":250},"initialIntersection":{"time":3144.5999999996275,"rootBounds":{"left":0,"top":0,"width":360,"height":664,"bottom":664,"right":360,"x":0,"y":0},"boundingClientRect":{"left":30,"top":1145,"width":300,"height":250,"bottom":1395,"right":330,"x":30,"y":1145},"intersectionRect":{"left":0,"top":0,"width":0,"height":0,"bottom":0,"right":0,"x":0,"y":0},"intersectionRatio":0},"domFingerprint":"1938342947","experimentToggles":{"canary":false,"a4aProfilingRate":false,"adsense-ad-size-optimization":false,"amp-access-iframe":true,"amp-accordion-display-locking":false,"amp-action-macro":true,"amp-ad-ff-adx-ady":false,"amp-auto-ads-adsense-holdout":false,"ampdoc-fie":true,"amp-mega-menu":true,"amp-nested-menu":true,"amp-playbuzz":true,"amp-sidebar-swipe-to-dismiss":true,"amp-story-responsive-units":true,"amp-story-v1":true,"chunked-amp":true,"doubleclickSraExp":false,"doubleclickSraReportExcludedBlock":false,"expand-json-targeting":true,"fix-inconsistent-responsive-height-selection":false,"fixed-elements-in-lightbox":true,"flexAdSlots":false,"intersect-resources":true,"ios-fixed-no-transfer":false,"pump-early-frame":true,"swg-gpay-api":true,"swg-gpay-native":true,"amp-ad-no-center-css":false,"analytics-chunks":true},"sentinel":"0-5026892643924826372"}}" height="250" width="300" title="3rd party ad content" data-amp-3p-sentinel="0-5026892643924826372" allow="sync-xhr 'none';" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" allowtransparency="" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" sandbox="allow-top-navigation-by-user-activation allow-popups-to-escape-sandbox allow-forms allow-modals allow-pointer-lock allow-popups allow-same-origin allow-scripts" class="i-amphtml-fill-content" id="google_ads_iframe_1" style="border: 0px !important; margin: auto; padding: 0px !important; display: block; height: 250px; max-height: 100%; max-width: 100%; min-height: 0px; min-width: 0px; width: 300px; position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px; bottom: 0px; right: 0px;">
On your phone? Tap here to listen
MERRETT STAYING AT ESSENDON
Zach Merrett will be at Essendon in 2021.
Rumours have circled since the Bombers finished their campaign, but foxfooty.com.au understands the gun midfielder has categorically assured the club he won’t seek a trade under any circumstances.
Merrett finished second in the best and fairest award this season and high up in coaches votes.
Champion Data rates the left footer as one of the best users of the ball in the competition.
He comes out of contract next year and will be a restricted free agent.
placeholder.jpg

ORAZIO TO GO
Essendon forward Orazio Fantasia is expected to nominate Port Adelaide as his club of choice this week.
AFL Media is reporting Fantasia, who was set to join the Power last year before pulling out at the last minute, will inform the Bombers of his decision and confirm him as the third high-profile player to want out at Tullamarine, joining Joe Daniher and Adam Saad.
The 25-year-old still has a year to run on his deal at Essendon, meaning a trade will need to be facilitated between them and the Power.
Get all the latest AFL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!
Fantasia has been a far cry from the player he threatened to be in previous years, but has a high ceiling. In 2017 and 2018, he ranked fifth and third respectively in AFL Player Ratings for general forwards.
He managed just five games in 2020 as he struggled with an array of soft-tissue setbacks.
placeholder.jpg

CROUCH SPEAKS ON SAINTS DECISION
Departing Adelaide free agent Brad Crouch has said his run in with police late last month further convinced him he needed a new AFL start.
Crouch and teammate Tyson Stengle were referred to a counselling process after allegedly being caught with an illicit substance in South Australia during the early hours of a Monday morning.
This week, Crouch nominated St Kilda as his preferred club of choice, with the Saints offering a contract that could extend to as long as five seasons.
Speaking to 9 News Adelaide, Crouch said he needed to take himself out of his comfort zone.
“I do need a fresh start. I need a change in environment, I need to get back out of my comfort zone,” he said.
Overseas? Stream the 2020 Toyota AFL Finals Series from outside Australia on WatchAFL. Every match including the Grand Final Live & On-Demand. Grab your Finals Pass to start streaming >
“I feel like I’ve been in my comfort zone for a while now at the football club and I think the last couple of weeks has been a sign that I do need change.”
“The longer and longer it went the more apparent it became I was going to choose St Kilda. I saw them as a real up-and-coming club.
“I still love the footy club, I want them to get the best compensation for me as well. I think everyone seems to be working

at the moment to get the best deal for everyone involved.”
  • Share:
Subscribe to updates from Fox Sports
If it’s the same thing I saw, no he didn’t re-sign.

He’s out of contract next year not this year. He basically just assured Essendon he would not request a trade this year.
Yep my apologies,

I think supporters in Melbourne are going to get a very pleasant surprise. Some of our movement off the ball was outstanding.
The big thing for me with Crouch is that we’ll now get a Hill dividend. Nearly all his work was offscreen! If we get first hands on it frequently, Hill will come into his own.

Whatever the final deal is it makes absolutely no sense for either club for Adelaide to match as soon as they do that there is one less first round draft pick in the mix whether that is pick 2 or 19. That is just throwing away an asset. Only Dodoro style campaigners make those kinds of moves.

What Adelaide needs is as many top end draft picks as they can get to fast track their rebuild.

What Adelaide have is cap space to burn and no one to spend it on.

What we need is Brad Crouch without having to give up our very limited draft picks

What we have is too many players on decent coin who are unlikely to play next year Dunstan Savage Webster Roberton but are still AFL quality

I expect there will be a deal of sorts but it will not be obvious to us what the real value is because the AFL keeps salary details private. Adelaide will not be giving up 2nd round picks for Dunstan and Webster. We might end up overpaying Crouch but likely the net effect is to give us more Cap space.

Ultimately we retain our pick 14 add Crouch and some more late draft picks and have the Cap Space either this year or next to keep adding to our best 22

Adelaide get their comp pick 2 or 19 Dunstan and Webster lose Crouch and some late draft picks. The AFL decision on the comp pick will likely alter what we get for Dunstan and Webster or whether we have to pay a portion of their salaries.

Giving up players who don't play but are consuming a fair slab of your Cap is a win just not as obvious.

☝️ This guy gets it

Re: Shaun McKernan- percentage of players that finally make it at their 3rd club? Not great I would of thought.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Crouch is free. The pick 19 compo to the Crows is free.

So working out values and the points difference is:

Saints lose salary cap upgrading Crouch's contract $150k-$200k pa = who knows the points value of this? Maybe considering a draftee wage between $75k-$100k, it could be thought of as two average/mid range draftees (picks), i.e. 2x 483 points (966)

Upgrading pick 19 to pick 2 = 1569 points

Crows get Webster (maybe valued at early 4th) = 207 points

Crows get Dunstan (maybe mid 3rd) = 331 points

All up that's 3073 points... that's more than the value of pick 1! (3000 ponts)
I can't see how it makes any logical sense.

The Crows should just take the free compo and be thankful they finished last otherwise it would be a worse pick.

Offloading Dunstan and Webster is a good thing for us and them as they won't get a game. If we threw in Robertson and Mckenzie as well, that'd be great!

Remember, it's a salary dump.

Dunkley is a much better player than Merrett. Dunkley gets in and under to get the ball moving. He is the one who starts the chain of play. Is also a great mark with vice like hands.

Dunkley is also tough, courageous, unobtrusive and smart. Always thinking a step ahead. And his handball is an attacking weapon despite his average kicking.

Bulldogs get reamed in any swap of Merrett and Dunkley.

Also, I am not a stats man, but check this comparison out and tell me that a Dunkley - Merrett swap would ream the Bulldogs. Merrett is far, far more damaging. As I said initially I rate them both evenly whilst they are very different types:

Re: Shaun McKernan- percentage of players that finally make it at their 3rd club? Not great I would of thought.

We aren’t recruiting him to be best 22. We’re thinking about having him on the list of 40 taking Abbott’s senior back up ruck (and maybe others key position) in case of emergency.

Abbott played 1 game this year.

Is a better back up option for senior level than Alabakis at the moment in case Ryder needs a rest or gets injured, likewise Marshall.

Not about him making it , it is about a cheap experienced player for emergency only

We aren’t recruiting him to be best 22. We’re thinking about having him on the list of 40 taking Abbott’s senior back up ruck (and maybe others key position) in case of emergency.

Abbott played 1 game this year.

Is a better back up option for senior level than Alabakis at the moment in case Ryder needs a rest or gets injured, likewise Marshall.

Yep, my Bombers’ supporting family member (I know, I know 🙄) says that he will be very solid backup and can actually kick a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back