List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really trade currency though. It's our cap for the next 5 years, 2022 in particualr. Hanners has a big contract still in 2022, and so does Hill. If Bing is gettable next year (I don't think so tbh but many do) then how would we fit him into our cap?
Bit difficult to know although we overpaid players to meet the TPP so clearing this could free up significant cap space

Love seeing the disparity between our current administration vs the previous mob. The delusional support behind Baines making the amount of quality moves necessary looks comical now. We've made more meaningful moves in the he past 18 months toward relevancy than we have in the 8 years combined before then. Other clubs are on notice.

Love seeing the disparity between our current administration vs the previous mob. The delusional support behind Baines making the amount of quality moves necessary looks comical now. We've made more meaningful moves in the he past 18 months toward relevancy than we have in the 8 years combined before then. Other clubs are on notice.
Bains did a great job I thought.

Future second for Steele is a huge win.
Pick 5 and 24 for Carlisle and Gresh is also a huge win.
Shafting the Hawks to get Battle Clark and Longy for pick 10.

Unless I’m missing something he was fantastic :drunk:

Bloody hell, Rowe absolutely gives it to Kelly here. Almost feel bad for the bloke.

This is hilarious.

And by the way, how is Crouch coming out publicly yesterday saying he is fully committed to St.Kilda. He put the Crows in a horrible position where they would have to let him go otherwise look even worse.

This has all played out beautifully.

A lot of talk about Treloar, has there been anything 'formal' linking us with him or we're just speculating?

I think he's a gun but can't see us getting him

I thought Bains did well for us in terms of doing advantageous deals to get a bit extra out of the draft, the problems were more in our draft choices, but I remain unconvinced that the problem was entirely who we drafted and not at all our development of that talent.

But the biggest mark against Bains is perhaps that he went for quantity over quality of picks, a policy that netted us a load of solid citizens but no elite players. If you were cynical you might suspect this was deliberate to fix the salary cap problems that we'd had after the Lyon era; get rid of all the high earners, replace them with a bunch of low-paid player and then try to build from there while banking salary cap to use for the next big push.

If pies pay something like 150k/yr and we give them whatever we get for the salary dumps + a 2nd round. Would they go for it.

Ive paid almost 0 interest is this until crouch is done so no idea on the positioning. I think a first round is a bit much given they are so desperate, their benefit is tied into having him off the books. Think they will find it hard to get a club to do them a favour.

Last edited:
I don't want to come across as vehemently anti-Treloar - I'm really not; but he's an injury risk and a personal situation risk as well (I don't believe the Pies for a second, but the fact is wife + kid in different state will be tough).

We're on an excellent build atm but tbh guys like Clark, Coff and Ming need a couple of years as they will be key cogs in a challenge. I just don't think Treloar is that last piece of the puzzle and would hate for his contract to potentially be a millstone when we _are_ right in the window.

OK that's the last comment on Treloar, I promise!

I'm a little concerned about the contract. I'm a natural sceptic when it comes to these things. When things are being dressed up as too good to be true, it's usually because it is. The magpies wouldn't be beating their drums without it being a double win for them. They're not trustworthy...and I also don't like them.
That said, if we do go down this path then I hope it's the last over 25 year old we bother with for the next few years.
I'm sure Satan, Gags, and Gub, are on it.
I think Bytel & Clark (Byrnes if he is good enough) should be given good time in the engine room next year, but they'll need good solid bodies around them for the next couple of years. By the time Crouch, Steele, Jones possibly Treloar etc. are slowing, these kids should be ripping it up, but we need youth constantly coming through. We need to be hitting the draft in the next year or two, or poaching kids from other clubs. We have the established core players set...but we need to build an empire with continuous youthful energy. I want a legacy of premierships and sustained success for the next few decades (not much to ask)

All these people worried about getting Crouch and Treloar meaning Hunter’s development will be stymied.... I don’t see it personally.

If we do get Treloar, Hunter becomes our Hodge. Simple. The kid is made for that role and is already excelling at it.

Him, Coff, Wilkie, Paton, Long and Howard are bloody young but will gain more and more synergy together. They were already good this year despite their inexperience. They are going to get better and better individually and as a unit.

Let our defense gel together for a number of years and watch it deliver us a couple of premierships.

Adding talent to our midfield simply allows our defense to stay settled. It’s a massive win/win.

The Treloar debacle is interesting. I actually think it’s purely about the money. The Pies have tried to strong arm Treloar out of the club and have been caught unawares by his preparedness to confront them in the court of public opinion.

My guess is that three years ago the Pies predicted Pendlebury to fall off their list around about now, but he has rejuvenated his game in recent years and looks like he could easily play on.

So Pendles is on big bucks, Grundy is on big bucks, Sidebottom is on big bucks, Treloar is on big bucks, De Goey wants big bucks and Daicos is showing his market value will be (yes you guessed it) big bucks.

I think they asked Treloar to move some of his money to the backend so that they could get DeGoey and Moore to recommit to the club in recent years and now they are stuck with having to pay his grossly over inflated, bloated contract.

I’d also be guessing when I say that the Pies consulted with the leadership group to gauge their thoughts on who they thought would contribute the least to challenging for a premiership Pendles, De Goey or Treloar.

When Treloar held the least votes that somehow translated into the narrative that his team mates don’t want him.

His anxiety and depression combined with his obsessive nature to training and preparation probably translates into the narrative that he is more difficult to coach.

And then to cap it all off someone ate an infected bat that led to the AFL deciding that the Salary Cap has to be reduced.

It’s like the perfect shit storm for a team that has pushed to the limits with its player contracts believing, and rightfully so, that it’s been firmly in the premiership window for the last 4 years.

I’d love to see Treloar in the RWB. It’s all about contested possessions (the ones where someone actually wins the ball) and Treloar is rated elite in that department, even better than Crouch. His clearance work is as strong, perhaps stronger, over the duration of his career than Jack Steeles best year.

Most importantly though having Treloar and Crouch means less attention on Steele and Gresham and Jones and Billings and Hill.

Treloar and Adams at the coal face is why Sidebottom and Pendlebury get to look so good with the ball in hand.

Treloar and Crouch will give our 2020 centremen a completely new look moving forward. Jack Steele will be able to play out of the goal square more often. Gresham will be able to get closer to goal more. Hill will get bigger disposal numbers. Ross can focus more on being a big bodied suppressor. Billings can move rediscover his half forward instincts. Battle won’t be required to put time in the middle so he can be released forward or back. If we can add Higgins that gives us even more flex and scoring potency.

We will be a difficult side to contain with AT in the team. I genuinely hope it happens. Now we just need Ryder to get back to where he was before his hammy and we’re ready to blast off.

The last piece of this puzzle will be the supporters. I hope our Victorian base are committed to showing up and getting behind the boys in 2021. You’ve been a bit average in recent years gone.

Well it took me 3 very restrained and measured posts on the Adelaide board before I got told to ..... fk off :thumbsu:

There is handful of fairly sensible posters who have full and reasonable understanding of the situation ....... most though are triggered and have lost all sense of reality ..... guess you could say they have been LethGagged

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Treloar debacle is interesting. I actually think it’s purely about the money. The Pies have tried to strong arm Treloar out of the club and have been caught unawares by his preparedness to confront them in the court of public opinion.

My guess is that three years ago the Pies predicted Pendlebury to fall off their list around about now, but he has rejuvenated his game in recent years and looks like he could easily play on.

So Pendles is on big bucks, Grundy is on big bucks, Sidebottom is on big bucks, Treloar is on big bucks, De Goey wants big bucks and Daicos is showing his market value will be (yes you guessed it) big bucks.

I think they asked Treloar to move some of his money to the backend so that they could get DeGoey and Moore to recommit to the club in recent years and now they are stuck with having to pay his grossly over inflated, bloated contract.

I’d also be guessing when I say that the Pies consulted with the leadership group to gauge their thoughts on who they thought would contribute the least to challenging for a premiership Pendles, De Goey or Treloar.

When Treloar held the least votes that somehow translated into the narrative that his team mates don’t want him.

His anxiety and depression combined with his obsessive nature to training and preparation probably translates into the narrative that he is more difficult to coach.

And then to cap it all off someone ate an infected bat that led to the AFL deciding that the Salary Cap has to be reduced.

It’s like the perfect sh*t storm for a team that has pushed to the limits with its player contracts believing, and rightfully so, that it’s been firmly in the premiership window for the last 4 years.

I’d love to see Treloar in the RWB. It’s all about contested possessions (the ones where someone actually wins the ball) and Treloar is rated elite in that department, even better than Crouch. His clearance work is as strong, perhaps stronger, over the duration of his career than Jack Steeles best year.

Most importantly though having Treloar and Crouch means less attention on Steele and Gresham and Jones and Billings and Hill.

Treloar and Adams at the coal face is why Sidebottom and Pendlebury get to look so good with the ball in hand.

Treloar and Crouch will give our 2020 centremen a completely new look moving forward. Jack Steele will be able to play out of the goal square more often. Gresham will be able to get closer to goal more. Hill will get bigger disposal numbers. Ross can focus more on being a big bodied suppressor. Billings can move rediscover his half forward instincts. Battle won’t be required to put time in the middle so he can be released forward or back. If we can add Higgins that gives us even more flex and scoring potency.

We will be a difficult side to contain with AT in the team. I genuinely hope it happens. Now we just need Ryder to get back to where he was before his hammy and we’re ready to blast off.

The last piece of this puzzle will be the supporters. I hope our Victorian base are committed to showing up and getting behind the boys in 2021. You’ve been a bit average in recent years gone.
Well im sold, when can we get him to sign

I look at two options regarding the Treloar situation.

1. You leave him, play it safer. Get Higgins in, keep first round picks this and next year. Keep the TPP in a overall better state for the future. Keep depth in Dunstan, Webster, etc.

2. You go after him, more risky play. Might have to bail on Higgins, going to have to let Dunstan & the others go if any interest for very little. Will have to use a first either this or next year.

Dont mind either way. A lot to play out with Treloar though. How much wage they will pay, what they want in terms of trade, and for us what our tpp looks like & the Higgins situation.

Going to leave this here. Pay attention from 45 seconds...

Just wow.

Jesus, only 500k. Bargain.

And yep think you are on the money with Treloar rumours. Provided we ditch a few current players on big deals like Dunstan & Webster we will be full steam ahead.

Higgins ability to play midfield shouldn't be underrated and even if we use him 70% forward he is still a vast improvement on Kent and Hind in my book. Also curious on peoples opinion on Jack Sinclair, his first year was super impressive and has done his job well over the last few years but with each recruit we bring in his position in our 22 seems untenable.

h3SixLo.gif

The club has picked up a good midfielder that we have sought for a while and getting it done with no draft picks was a bonus , having a first round draft pick will be very useful because hopefully we have looked at the draft and have a player lined up that we need , another midfielder or key position player.
Treloar would be great but the cost of his contract and length is a killer unless they could reduce it.

2020 AFL DRAFT ORDER / added academy positions - so most probably completely wrong order

ROUND 1

1. Dogs / Ugle-Hagan - key position (academy)

2. Adelaide / McDonald - key position

3. North Melbourne / Hollands

4. Sydney / Campbell (academy)

5. Hawthorn / Thilthorpe - key position

6. Gold Coast / Grainger-Barras - key position

7. Essendon / Phillips

8. Essendon / Bruhn

9. Carlton / Henry

10 . Port / Jones (academy)

11. Adelaide / Ried - key position

12. North Melbourne / Macrae

13. Fremantle / Perkins

14. Suns / Davies (academy)

15. Geelong / Chapman - key position

16. Geelong / Cook

17. Suns / Jeffrey - key position (academy)

18. Collingwood / McInnes (academy)

19. St Kilda / Powell

183cm/74kg
2/3/02
Sturt/South Australia
Midfielder

There aren't many better performed draftees in the country this year than Powell, who has starred for Sturt at under-18 level. Powell has dominated the season, becoming a prolific midfielder, clearance winner and goalkicker from his on-ball role. He is a star at the stoppages, winning comparisons to Brisbane's Lachie Neale for his work in tight. A calf injury sidelined him recently before he returned and had 18 disposals in Sturt's semi-final loss on the weekend.

20. Swans / Gulden (academy)

21. Hawks / Downie (academy)

22. Brisbane / Carrol

23. Brisbane / Cox - key position

99cm/82kg
15/1/02
Northern Knights/Vic Metro
Key forward/defender

The son of former Fitzroy, Melbourne and Brisbane player Darryl Cox is an athletic tall player who has been used in a number of spots. He appears best settled as a key forward, but has also spent time on the wing and in the back half. Played for Vic Metro last year and his highlights package will excite.

24. Geelong / Laurie

25. Richmond / Trew

ROUND 2

It’s not often you can add players like Treloar and Crouch to your midfield in one off season. The fact they could both come cheap on the draft pick front and relatively underpriced on the salary cap front makes it even more ridiculous.

those two immediately put us right into the mix next year. And they’re both young enough to see out the next half a decade and still be contributing to when the core of hunter, coff, king, battle, marshall was expected to hit their straps.

stuff aiming for a flag in 3-5 years. Why not next year. And then a few years after that too.

If the Banker say he can fit Treloar in, he fits. They know what they're doing!
You act like a decision like this wouldn’t be calculated. Like it hasn’t been projected in our cap for its duration.

again, let’s keep paying depth players money as if they are top 10 on our list.

if Collingwood will actually contribute 250k per year as per Barrett - who has been pretty accurate on this story.

then your effectively paying him 150k more then Caldwell. Same time period.

you would seriously think after the last 12 months. The club earned our trust.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

You need to remember, Collingwood are trying to push out their best midfielder so they can retain a player who’s facing potential jail time.
There has to be more to it all if you ask me.
I like Treloar and if we can get him under the right circumstances would do so.

But he is nowhere near Collingwoods best midfielder. Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Adams are all better all round players.

They have salary cap issues and their strongest area of the ground is the midfield and unfortunately for Treloar due to moving money back in his contract he is now an expensive resource in an area that they are strong in.

I agree I thought Baines did well trying to get in draft picks and players who would be around for 'the future'. The problem is we simply missed on far to many draft choices.

By contrast what Satan is doing is for the now, granted he is in astonishing form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back