Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:

Seconds footy, but geez he can move.

Yep, his movement in traffic really sets him apart (haven't seen many juniors with that kind of highlights reel).
Actually uses his speed/agility as part of his game, often using it to give himself time to assess his kick - certainly doesn't just throw it on the boot.
Will be a fan favourite if he does make it at AFL level.

BurnaHawks said:
Would be amazing but Gold coast can’t afford to wait 3 years to for Andrew to develop. I don’t think they will pick him…

Disagree.
Fair enough. Stuart Dew needs wins, or he won’t be there next year!

He’d want to pick a player that can impact next year. or he’ll be picking Andrew up for someone else to coach in the future…

GC do need a ruckman as of now.
But they have a young list that wont challenge in finals in the next couple of years.

So it's six of one and half dozen of the other.
They have Witts, Chol and Moyle.

They need tall forwards to pair with King.

The real reason they wouldn’t take Andrew at their pick is that they rate someone higher.

The real reason they wouldn’t take Andrew at their pick is that they rate someone higher.
Agree.
Dew desperately needs wins. He needs to be pushing for the 8 to keep his job.

They try to get another Rowell type ready to explode mid then hope Rowell regains his touch from his first year then hope a Rowell Anderson Miller pick3 midfield take them to more wins.

Agree.

They try to get another Rowell type ready to explode mid then hope Rowell regains his touch from his first year then hope a Rowell Anderson Miller pick3 midfield take them to more wins.
I'd say the opposite. They need to trade it for a T Mitchell type who can come in and support a young and talented midfield. Last thing they need is another kid.

I'd say the opposite. They need to trade it for a T Mitchell type who can come in and support a young and talented midfield. Last thing they need is another kid.
Would be interested to know if the Suns would do that deal, It could be mutually beneficial. We get a top pick which is the priority, they get an elite ball winner to feed it out to their young outside mids. Their cap space is tight so we pay a portion of his salary and they put all their energies into winning games in 2022 and maybe keeping King, Likosius, Rankine & others... Mitchell can also add a year or two to his contract duration and get $ and security...All seems to make perfect sense. Funny how few of these deals that on the surface make complete sense to all parties are actually transacted upon...Money would be on the trade period finishing and GC still having pick 3 and its just hard to understand why...

With Touk Miller and David Swallow, and Witts in the ruck, reckon they need the experience everywhere else other than the midfield. That defensive lineup of Collins, Ballard, Lokosius is promising but very young and inexperienced - Collins is the oldest and he's only played as much senior footy as the two kids.

Same up forward, Sexton is the old head and he's not a leader in the slightest, Day can't stay on the park meaning it's pretty much all up to a 20 year old King with some bit part players around him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Touk Miller and David Swallow, and Witts in the ruck, reckon they need the experience everywhere else other than the midfield. That defensive lineup of Collins, Ballard, Lokosius is promising but very young and inexperienced - Collins is the oldest and he's only played as much senior footy as the two kids.

Same up forward, Sexton is the old head and he's not a leader in the slightest, Day can't stay on the park meaning it's pretty much all up to a 20 year old King with some bit part players around him.
It would mean they could push Rowell and Anderson out to a wing rotation to protect them somewhat. Geez Rowell already looks bashed up and he's only 2 years in.

Gold Coast cap is full and Touk Miller wants six years at $850 000 a year and they have three high draft picks from 2018 all out of contract next year.
Their list is also full so will have to delist players and try and re-rookie.

Probably also have to start considering what they'll do if King leaves next year. At least if you take Andrew there is another promising tall. Could do worse than having King, Chol, and Andrew running around. King leaves at least you're left with Andrew and Chol.

I hope a Suns recruiter is reading this. Take Andrew.

I'm pretty confident that internally the first pick is a solved game, we know who we rate and what we'll do. I'm more interested in the two seconds. Anyone else really like one of Amiss, JVR or Bazzo? Throw in Butler/Taylor/Motlop with the other second and I think we can really sure up our forward line in the future. I could see Wilmot or Conway as well if we rate them.

Agree.

Hopefully they'll take Hobbs, who seems to be the next best ready made midfielder after Daicos.

I'm pretty confident that internally the first pick is a solved game, we know who we rate and what we'll do. I'm more interested in the two seconds. Anyone else really like one of Amiss, JVR or Bazzo? Throw in Butler/Taylor/Motlop with the other second and I think we can really sure up our forward line in the future. I could see Wilmot or Conway as well if we rate them.
Amiss will go earlier than that, and I’d rather another mid and a small/mid forward in the 20’s.

Without knowing what picks we may gain or lose.The good news is, if we stay where we are, we really will get 3 pretty handy
young players and hopefully our usual diamond in the rough with pick 62.

Seconds footy, but geez he can move.

One particular time he pinged a Doggies player HTB just inside the boundary on the wing and went back to take his kick. Had no options, so he just runs around the guy on the mark (who is a league-experienced but not notably fast midfielder) with the utmost ease and sent it long inside. It actually looked like he simply walking past him and the other player couldn't do anything about it!

And definitely his best moment was in the last quarter: he won a loose ball on the wing when they were on a fast-break but when he swivelled around, there were simply no options forward. So he had to do some dancing and selling-candy to his man at the time. This lingered on longer than it usually does, so the Dogs had 2 other players come to help so by this point it was a 3-on-1 and he still had them looking cross-legged trying to catch him. He had to take 3-4 bounces during this process whilst basically staying completely within the same 5m radius before finally lacing out a team-mate on somewhat of a 45 (but moreso horizontally) in the middle of the ground. Definitely a highlight and again, it never actually looked like any of the 3 players trying to catch him were going to!

My recollection wasn't perfect (I could have sworn it was Jacob Templeton he pinged then ran around on the mark, not Shay Linke - which actually makes it more impressive!) but the two highlights I described later that day are the final ones in the video starting from 1:26 and running to the end :)

I like all three! Only JVR and Bazzo have a realistic chance of slipping to us (unless we trade up the order with our 2 seconds). Both looked very impressive in the WA v SA game. Have been meaning to go back and check out their performances again ... will post it if I get the chance to cut up some highlights :thumbsu: .

I like all three! Only JVR and Bazzo have a realistic chance of slipping to us (unless we trade up the order with our 2 seconds). Both looked very impressive in the WA v SA game. Have been meaning to go back and check out their performances again ... will post it if I get the chance to cut up some highlights :thumbsu: .
Hey 2OLD 2SLOW I actually posted some time stamps of Amiss from that game in a previous post if you wanted to do a video of all the WA talls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back