Player Watch 2021 AFL National Draft - NOT FOR TRADE DISCUSSION

What should we do withs Pick 5, 21 and 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s stick with a basic rule for this thread, that it’s for draft watch and discussion only.

It’s not for trade hypotheticals, who you think needs to be delisted or traded, how many games you think we will win, some other team will win, how many picks you want in the 1st round or discussion of current HFC players.

It’s about youngsters who are eligible for the draft in 2021.

Key dates to look out for:
  • NAB AFL Draft Combine: TBC
  • NAB AFL Draft: Wednesday November 24 - Thursday November 25
  • NAB AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts: Friday November 26

Last edited:
I do wonder if anyone has done a comparison of pre draft player comparisons to if they player makes it.

Is the next Judd twice as likely to make it as the next pendles? How do the future bonts compare?

Might throw up something interesting

Last edited:
I do wonder if anyone has done a comparison of pre draft player comparisons to if they player makes it.

Is the next Judd twice as likely to make it as the next pendles? How do the future bonts compare?

Might through up something interesting
Cyril's seem to go alright.

They're completely different players though? Clark isn't projected anywhere near the top 25 picks.
Clark is 24 and doesn’t look particularly fast. Not sure what Kip knows that we don’t.

I know the comparisons are crazy every year but with Callaghan it might have gone to a different level. Just how many top liners will be compared to before he gets his first kick.
And people lose their shit and get abusive if a player is compared to someone who is not a superstar. Even though such comparisons are far more probable than every draftee being a superstar.

I'm not sure a mature aged, slow midfielder is what we need when we've just moved on Cousins. I'm also not sure what it had to do with Motlop.

and you've seen him play, right? as I've watched him at least a dozen times, he has good disposal, ticker and is a good set shot for goal.

Where as I've seen Motlop 4 times and he has done nothing but everyone is talking him up.

Ticker >>>> Scaredy cat...

Even rookie the lad.

and you've seen him play, right? as I've watched him at least a dozen times, he has good disposal, ticker and is a good set shot for goal.

Where as I've seen Motlop 4 times and he has done nothing but everyone is talking him up.

Ticker >>>> Scaredy cat...

Even rookie the lad.
I'm not against offering someone like Clark a rookie list spot, but your reply was directly to my initial comment about Motlop with one of our picks in the 20's, you said nothing about rookie listing him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So watched the Australia u18 academy vs Geelong VFL.

Just looking to see some moments from players in what was a procession.

Sonsie- avoid. Downhill skier and lacks any defensive side. Didn't get near it and lots of squib moments.

Daicos - so many useless touches. Is an accumulator but puts tom Mitchell to shame with his call for the 1m handpass at half back. He can find it but lacks any contested side and is always looking for someone to feed it to him.

Horne - gun. Didn't get much of it but had impact Everytime he was near the ball. Physically the only one up for it and matched it with the VFL blokes. Had about 4x holding the ball decisions and ran hard defensively.

Mac Andrew -very very very raw. Not as quick as I thought. Great tap work on occasion and a nice clearance. Couple of good marks. He is 3 years away from VFL level. Could be anything when full size.

These were the blokes I was super keen to see....

Erasmus - elite elite hands. Like Robbie gray level overheard. Actually plays alot like a 188cm Robbie gray. Think he starts as a half forward but becomes a big mid eventually. His kicking is average... Nothing elite. But he looks like he covers the ground well and he will become a massive unit when he fills out. Massive legs and low center of gravity. Could be a beast or Dan Howe 2.0.

Callaghan - left and right foot very nice. Athletic and just a polished mover. Didn't get into it much and had some fumbly moments but did some things where you were like "yup.... Want him". Never saw him inside... Only on a wing. He was a willing defensive runner and put his body on the line when tackling. Not soft and wayyyy harder than daicos.

Rachelle- surprisingly tough..really threw himself into tackles and no backward steps. Kicked a huge goal from outside 50 and linked up nicely as HF on occasion. Tackle pressure was good. Lacks a yard of pace and I think this could be a problem for his type at AFL level. Very Cody weightman like with more midfield ability. Would prefer one of the pure mids.

Sonsie- avoid. Downhill skier and lacks any defensive side. Didn't get near it and lots of squib moments.

Daicos - so many useless touches. Is an accumulator but puts tom Mitchell to shame with his call for the 1m handpass at half back. He can find it but lacks any contested side and is always looking for someone to feed it to him.

Horne - gun. Didn't get much of it but had impact Everytime he was near the ball. Physically the only one up for it and matched it with the VFL blokes. Had about 4x holding the ball decisions and ran hard defensively.

Mac Andrew -very very very raw. Not as quick as I thought. Great tap work on occasion and a nice clearance. Couple of good marks. He is 3 years away from VFL level. Could be anything when full size.

Erasmus - elite elite hands. Like Robbie gray level overheard. Actually plays alot like a 188cm Robbie gray. Think he starts as a half forward but becomes a big mid eventually. His kicking is average... Nothing elite. But he looks like he covers the ground well and he will become a massive unit when he fills out. Massive legs and low center of gravity. Could be a beast or Dan Howe 2.0.

Callaghan - left and right foot very nice. Athletic and just a polished mover. Didn't get into it much and had some fumbly moments but did some things where you were like "yup.... Want him". Never saw him inside... Only on a wing. He was a willing defensive runner and put his body on the line when tackling. Not soft and wayyyy harder than daicos.

Rachelle- surprisingly tough..really threw himself into tackles and no backward steps. Kicked a huge goal from outside 50 and linked up nicely as HF on occasion. Tackle pressure was good. Lacks a yard of pace and I think this could be a problem for his type at AFL level. Very Cody weightman like with more midfield ability. Would prefer one of the pure mids.
Great write up, any unknown players that raised an eyebrow or two?

Erasmus could end up Fyfe or Yeo size - athletic taller midfielder who can take big marks.

I'm really liking the options that should be available to us - Ward or Erasmus. Not discounting any trades up or back we may get involved in.

I really like him. Don’t know why he isn’t more highly rated. Racks ‘‘em up. Got good agility and height. Seems to use it well. And bobbed up to help wa win v sa the other day. I’d be pretty happy landing him.
I really like him as well Bris.
I particularly like the description of him on Draft Central Power Rankings:

"has a hard edge and competitiveness which sets him apart."

We need some more players with a hard edge.

I think targeting a key position player with pick 21 or 24 is important. You can’t go into a rebuild and have just Reeves and Grainger-Barras as the only ruckman and key defender on the list. There will be several key position players likely to still be on the board come the second round of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back