2021 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Their last good one was prickles Martin, superstar

Ian Martin. Great fellow and a terrific playing coach. Was a terrific leader at Castlemaine and also during a stint at Natte Bealiba prior to his appointment at the Magpies.

Unfortunately I think the days of playing coaches are gone but I still believe it would be the best approach for a team like Castlemaine due to the leadership and direction that a young team requires. Finding the right one is the challenge, just because they can play doesn't necessarily mean they can coach/ lead.

Ian Martin. Great fellow and a terrific playing coach. Was a terrific leader at Castlemaine and also during a stint at Natte Bealiba prior to his appointment at the Magpies.

Unfortunately I think the days of playing coaches are gone but I still believe it would be the best approach for a team like Castlemaine due to the leadership and direction that a young team requires. Finding the right one is the challenge, just because they can play doesn't necessarily mean they can coach/ lead.

what cCastlemaine need isn’t possible under the current rules

Castlemaine need buy in from the best players in Castlemaine and from former juniors. If they could get the best 14-16 locals to commit, rather than play mcdfl they could be a good side. I've said it before, but wouldn't it be great to see Brodie filo take the reigns as coach and lead them up the ladder.
Early 90s early 2000s Castlemaine was full of local talented superstars, that would have been the envy of bfl clubs

what cCastlemaine need isn’t possible under the current rules

Embarrassing decision by the league not to be playing this week.
Dare say south were happy not to play and secure their finals spot…..

every other league managing to play.

a shame that leagues only take in to account the senior football. 2 lower grades and 7 netball sides missing out because clubs wouldn’t be able to pay seniors footballers.

if you’ve recruited players to your club who aren’t willing to play for free for a couple of weeks for the betterment of the league and it’s participants then you’ve recruited poorly. Are those the sort of players you build good culture around?

a shame that leagues only take in to account the senior football. 2 lower grades and 7 netball sides missing out because clubs wouldn’t be able to pay seniors footballers.

if you’ve recruited players to your club who aren’t willing to play for free for a couple of weeks for the betterment of the league and it’s participants then you’ve recruited poorly. Are those the sort of players you build good culture around?

Tugboat I don't think it is quite that simple. The burden on volunteers (probably greater in the clubs lower on the ladder) and the loss of revenue from gate receipts, canteen etc would also come into it.

I think to be fair to clubs like Eaglehawk, they should start the finals a week or two earlier than intended in the present draw and have a top six. (Maybe even a top eight). This would nullify the fact that the clubs have not played each other twice. The grand final date could remain unchanged.

Tugboat I don't think it is quite that simple. The burden on volunteers (probably greater in the clubs lower on the ladder) and the loss of revenue from gate receipts, canteen etc would also come into it.

I think to be fair to clubs like Eaglehawk, they should start the finals a week or two earlier than intended in the present draw and have a top six. (Maybe even a top eight). This would nullify the fact that the clubs have not played each other twice. The grand final date could remain unchanged.

Also worth remembering that they already played a round without spectators and revenue when many others didn’t. Playing 3 rounds in those circumstances would be bloody hard

Rumour has it, South was the main ones pushing for games not starting this weekend. Coincidently they would have faced Strath....

Rumour has it, South was the main ones pushing for games not starting this weekend. Coincidently they would have faced Strath....

Hears that myself tonight. This is why you have a league administration isn’t it..to make decisions in tbe best interests of the competition and not leave it up to clubs to have input as self interest always gets in tbe way

Hears that myself tonight. This is why you have a league administration isn’t it..to make decisions in tbe best interests of the competition and not leave it up to clubs to have input as self interest always gets in tbe way
North Gippsland have abandoned remaining rounds of season with finals still to be played on original dates starting 21st August which means teams in finals will not have for 6 weeks interesting
Guessing it’s all to do with no crowds allowed

I will bang this drum even louder now. After today's announcement the BFNL administration should really look at setting up for a finals series consisting of a top 6 or even top 8. The incomplete home and way game results this year can no longer present a fair conclusion (via the ladder) of who should be in the finals.

Serious consideration should also be given to starting the finals when footy can resume. I accept the best plans may become undone in these difficult times, but at least plan in hope for something meaningful.

I will bang this drum even louder now. After today's announcement the BFNL administration should really look at setting up for a finals series consisting of a top 6 or even top 8. The incomplete home and way game results this year can no longer present a fair conclusion (via the ladder) of who should be in the finals.

Serious consideration should also be given to starting the finals when footy can resume. I accept the best plans may become undone in these difficult times, but at least plan in hope for something meaningful.

Top 6 would see it pretty fair. 7th
Kyn (seniors)& Flat (2’s) weren’t gonna make up enough wins to get in to finals any way.
Might have to shift away from all
finals at the QEO just to get it done.
Give strath a home final and play a neutral game at strath or e/hawk. Yeah keeping it in bendigo but just keeping it manageable.
Shit way for the other clubs to finish up but it is what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 6 would see it pretty fair. 7th
Kyn (seniors)& Flat (2’s) weren’t gonna make up enough wins to get in to finals any way.
Might have to shift away from all
finals at the QEO just to get it done.
Give strath a home final and play a neutral game at strath or e/hawk. Yeah keeping it in bendigo but just keeping it manageable.
sh*t way for the other clubs to finish up but it is what it is.

We are on the same page Truck but if the finals can start a week earlier than the present draw they could be all at the QEO. A top 6 would be fair and overcome the incomplete home and away season. I just tossed in the idea of a top 8 as it would keep the season alive for Kyneton, Maryborough & Kangaroo Flat and maybe provide them with the opportunity bring in some extra revenue.

Not sure those sides should be in finals though Albury in the seniors, the top 6 have been even, maybe play a final at dower park as well

We are on the same page Truck but if the finals can start a week earlier than the present draw they could be all at the QEO. A top 6 would be fair and overcome the incomplete home and away season. I just tossed in the idea of a top 8 as it would keep the season alive for Kyneton, Maryborough & Kangaroo Flat and maybe provide them with the opportunity bring in some extra revenue.

Not sure those sides should be in finals though Albury in the seniors, the top 6 have been even, maybe play a final at dower park as well

In today's advertiser Luke West puts the arguments for starting the finals ASAP with considerations for a top 8 and even a top 10 with a knock out system for the finals. It is good to see someone like Luke put this view in the mainstream media and hopefully be considered by the BFNL administration. Some will come up with obstacles, but I say go for it and offer something the long suffering supporters of clubs lower on the ladder can get excited about.

In today's advertiser Luke West puts the arguments for starting the finals ASAP with considerations for a top 8 and even a top 10 with a knock out system for the finals. It is good to see someone like Luke put this view in the mainstream media and hopefully be considered by the BFNL administration. Some will come up with obstacles, but I say go for it and offer something the long suffering supporters of clubs lower on the ladder can get excited about.
I know there isn't any ideals in this situation but I think If I was a player or Coach you'd love for your team to atleast have 1 game under your belt before lining up for a final. I think roll with the Top 8 teams have missed so much Football it gives them the chance to have another game and a development opportunity for those lower ones to play in a final but I'd much rather have one game before launching into a finals series. I'm not sure how the ladder sits maybe their would be some spots up for grabs or possible position changes in the 8 up for grabs in that final round.

Nice idea in theory Albury but the reality is a top 4 is all that is needed. With such a gulf between top and bottom sides we are just wasting the time and efforts of many clubs and their volunteers. Unfortunately the league is stuffed due to the dominance of a few and the point system certainly hasn't made any difference. To be frank, the enthusiasm of most has waned due to the continued uncertainty. Best to just abandon the season and start again in 2022 when some normality hopefully returns.

Nice idea in theory Albury but the reality is a top 4 is all that is needed. With such a gulf between top and bottom sides we are just wasting the time and efforts of many clubs and their volunteers. Unfortunately the league is stuffed due to the dominance of a few and the point system certainly hasn't made any difference. To be frank, the enthusiasm of most has waned due to the continued uncertainty. Best to just abandon the season and start again in 2022 when some normality hopefully returns.
Looks to be 6 pretty handy sides this year. Eaglehawk who have been a strong Clubs for a while now battling to make it. Kyneton should continue to improve under Chapman as well so might not be quite as lopsided as it's been going forward.

So has Flaherty to 'Flat worked in this Covid driven world. Loved his work at Rochester.

Don't think he's got the cattle silver, he probably would have been better playing as well, being a Hodge type in defence instructing guys on the field

It is a massive task to get any of the teams below the top 6 on the ladder up to a level competitive with the like of Strath, Square etc. Flaherty is as good a coach is Flat could get and they should try and hang onto him, recruit and and get everything else in place right.

In respect of finals, any lift in the Covert restrictions should be seen as a window of opportunity to play them, no matter what the format is. Forget about any remaining home and away games.

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Back