List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Adding to that.
Its all about what xtras the clubs can offer for pick 2.
With both Crows & Hawks in full re build mode i doubt they'll give a future 1st.
Their next picks this year are 33 & 21.We can trump with 15.
So do we give up 7 & 15 for pick 2
Go to the draft with 2/26/27/28
Think I'd prefer 7, 15, 26, 27, 28 to 2, 26, 27, 28. If anything I think we should be looking to add another first rounder, not losing one. The more highly rated kids we can get onto the list now the better off we'll be in 2-3 years time when Cotchin, Edwards, Grimes and Riewoldt are all gone.

Something like 27, 28 and Norths future 2nd for Saints 9 and future 3rd or Essendons 11 and future 3rd I'd be happy with. Use 7, 9/11, 15 and 26.
Could also get real keen and do 7 and 26 to Crows for 4 if there's someone we want around that pick that won't last to 7. Use 4, 9/11, 15 and source another later pick from somewhere else like 51 from Essendon rather than the future 3rd above.

Last edited:

Jack Graham is a future captain if our club. His performance to play out the final with a smashed shoulder is the stuff of legend. People attacking him in here should hang their head in shame. He runs from contest to contest, kicks key goals when we need them, tags out champions when we need someone to stop an opponent. He is a terrific Richmond man and we should all be proud to have him in our lineup.

I'd much rather try and do 7 15 & 26 for GWS 2 & 13. Which means we get our pick of the crop at 2 and Amiss/JVR at 13, while GWS gets Andrews another quality kid at 15 and has 26 to match a bid on Fahey.

I love it but let's be serious GWS would have to be out of their mind to do that deal, for us it would = highway robbery at its finest.
Now, imagine if 2 and 13 were our picks and we gave up pick 2 for pick 7 and pick 13 for pick 15, but got back 26 as some sort of sweetener, we would march down to punt road demanding answers.

Im think we want Hobbs ... even though I prefer Ward a Hobbs Johnson combo at 7 and 15 would be terrific for us. Add in a Zac Taylor and a Rhett Bazzo and Williams from WA and we will walk away from the draft like bandits

Agree on Hobbs more likely, as Ward from what we hear Hawks will grab him. I very much doubt Johnson makes it to pick 15 (hope he does), but the eagles surely will grab him at pick 10

Jack Graham is a future captain if our club. His performance to play out the final with a smashed shoulder is the stuff of legend. People attacking him in here should hang their head in shame. He runs from contest to contest, kicks key goals when we need them, tags out champions when we need someone to stop an opponent. He is a terrific Richmond man and we should all be proud to have him in our lineup.
Who's attacking him. You obviously rate him very highly, some like myself rate parts of his game, yes he is tough and does a power of running and team work, but in 5 years he would never have a single best on.

But for an early/mid first rounder I'd hope for something a bit more exciting or a bit of a gun.

Who's attacking him. You obviously rate him very highly, some like myself rate parts of his game, yes he is tough and does a power of running and team work, but in 5 years he would never have a single best on.

But for an early/mid first rounder I'd hope for something a bit more exciting or a bit of a gun.

Brownlow medal count: 3 votes - Jack Graham that is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like they really have their eye on someone early, happy for the club to trade up if they view someone as having potential star power, reality is you need a couple of those in the middle to compete at the top end.

I'd be equally happy to keep 7 and 15, 7 should hopefully still get us one of those top rated guys and 15 is a pretty good spot to be in this year imo. You'd take an Amiss/JVR (only 2 KPPs i'm super keen on honestly) or otherwise there are guys like Goater/Sonsie who were looked at as potentially top 5 picks at the start of the year and haven't really been on the park enough to be able to push their case that will be available around that mark.

We are in a pretty good spot whatever way it goes.

exactly…

-Soldo
-Nank
-Ryan
-Collina
-Mille
r can assist

add a ruck with our late picks….even PSD if we have a spot left
The thing is you don’t need the best ruck in the comp to win the flag. I think Melbourne with Gawn are the first team for many years that have won with a star ruckman. Let other teams draft them at 18, develop them for 4-5 years and then trade for them.

its hobbs or bust. we need an inside bull.
Doesn't necessarily translate to AFL. There are many good inside mids in the country, the only one you would have in the top 10 mids in the land is maybe Taylor Adams, and he has taken a long time to get there. Mitchell maybe. Prestia is also pretty close to top 10 when not injured.

Most of the dominant inside mids are all much bigger than Hobbs unless they are blessed with real speed like Neale. Hobbs looks pretty average speed to me.

Doesn't necessarily translate to AFL. There are many good inside mids in the country, the only one you would have in the top 10 mids in the land is maybe Taylor Adams, and he has taken a long time to get there. Mitchell maybe. Prestia is also pretty close to top 10 when not injured.

Most of the dominant inside mids are all much bigger than Hobbs unless they are blessed with real speed like Neale. Hobbs looks pretty average speed to me.
look mate if he can get the pill and he turns it into a good move I am happy....we have a glaring weakness

Think I'd prefer 7, 15, 26, 27, 28 to 2, 26, 27, 28. If anything I think we should be looking to add another first rounder, not losing one. The more highly rated kids we can get onto the list now the better off we'll be in 2-3 years time when Cotchin, Edwards, Grimes and Riewoldt are all gone.

Something like 27, 28 and Norths future 2nd for Saints 9 and future 3rd or Essendons 11 and future 3rd I'd be happy with. Use 7, 9/11, 15 and 26.
Could also get real keen and do 7 and 26 to Crows for 4 if there's someone we want around that pick that won't last to 7. Use 4, 9/11, 15 and source another later pick from somewhere else like 51 from Essendon rather than the future 3rd above.
Pick 9 and a future 3rd from the saints for pick 15, our future second and pick 28?

Go into draft night with 7 (9), 9 (11), 26, 27 probably end up being (29,30)

Last edited:
Richmond have of late tended to go for something a bit special in our first draft pick of late.
Last year no early pick, but before that
2019 Dow - considered a bit of a reach but has x factor for sure.
2018 Collier Dawkins - again a stretch but high reward factor (hopefully).
2017 Higgins - an x factor player for sure, not going to hit the heights that they wanted but drafted for excitement
2016 Bolton - enough said
2015 Rioli - a stretch but drafted for excitement

2014 Corey Ellis - safe pick which didn't work
2013 Lennon - safe pick pick that didn't work

I hope they stick with the x-factor pick theory this year. Some risk big reward.
A lot of hate for selecting Ben Lennon and Corey Ellis in this board (not necessarily this post which is just stating fact) but I don’t view them as poor selections as such. Having known quite a lot of players there are different reasons that careers don’t go to plan, rarely is it anything to do with talent. Both these guys had serious weapons that could have justified first round selection. Corey Ellis just never had any confidence in himself and Lennon was almost the complete opposite, the game came so easily for him as a junior and he didn’t have the work ethic/desire to fight for a career. At the end of the day there is a only a small percentage that become superstars and then quite a few that pave out good careers as not much more than very good role players.

Graham is not in our best dozen players, which you'd want your pick 7 to be. He is a good role player who has potential to improve, hopefully this year, but he is not game buster. Bolton, Stack, Balta type talent is what you want with a first draft pick I would have thought.
Unlikely to get a game buster with 7 this year. Outside the big 4, just as likely to get a bust as an out and out gun. Or we play it safer with a Hobbs type (although nearly every phantom draft I've seen have him going top 5).

As Knightmare said, outside that top 4, you should be expecting a player who'll hopefully be around your best 10 players on list, which Graham wouldn't be too far off. If we get an A grader I'll be wrapt. But I'm managing my expectations.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

...Lennon was almost the complete opposite, the game came so easily for him as a junior and he didn’t have the work ethic/desire to fight for a career. At the end of the day there is a only a small percentage that become superstars and then quite a few that pave out good careers as not much more than very good role players.
I reckon this is why a guy like Hobbs would appeal to us... When the club talks about "character", it's not necessarily "being a good boy from a good family..". It's that competitiveness, and have they shown they'll likely continue to push to get the best out of themselves. From what I've read on Hobbs, he's not the most talented guy in the draft pool, but has worked harder than most to get himself to the point that most have him top 5.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back