Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think about it, the more I like our picks. I won't profess to be a draft expert and to be honest I've only started following this years draft the past two weeks but Darcy Wilmot was the player that stood out the most to me. I commented earlier but he strikes me as a similar player to Elliot Yeo. Darcy has raw athletic ability, toughness / attack on the ball and is willing to take risks. Three attributes that work really well in our game plan and translates well to any position.

Think it's much the same with Kai Lohmann. Has attributes that translates well to our game plan.

It's interesting to see how clubs view draftees. I think recruiters are increasingly not looking at the complete player - they'll look at a select number of attributes (e.g. the strengths) and weigh those attributes more heavily based on game plan / strategy.

Just out of interest, where did they have Johnson and Goater.
I wasn’t a massive fan of Goater but I really liked Johnson.
We were asked not to discuss stuff on social media until after the draft.

Considering we might trade in to tomorrow night, I don’t believe it’s appropriate to discuss certain stuff here, seeing as recruiters and staff read these threads.

Last edited:

Can anyone justify the need to spend an early pick on a small forward?
Take it from me he's a ripper, I'm just pissed he didn't get through to us at #33, the Berry boys and Hughey will know him, all played with Kai's brother Jacob at the Rebels, Jacob's a pretty handy footballer too but Kai has X factor in spades, speed, agility and stunning aerial ability and loves turning defenders inside out with his moves. You couldn't handle another Lincoln McCarthy?

I read this from Nic Corona on Kai. Hello to Nic also if he’s on this forum btw. But I thought it’s a good summary. Particularly the offfield Larrikin in him. Fages mentioned the type of personalities were are after so he seems to fit that mould.

Attachments

• 0C9FE95D-C1D0-47B9-BA0E-D31DB9066690.png
    0C9FE95D-C1D0-47B9-BA0E-D31DB9066690.png
    372 KB · Views: 205
Why did we pick the player I've never seen play instead of the player I've never seen play?

That's where they trick you. So long as you have seen the draftees 'plays like' AFL equivalent play then you have effectively seen and can appraise the draftee with certainty.

I'm not too concerned about the future of our midfield. We can just poach the next gun from freo in a few years on the cheap again

How much Footage have you seen of Kai? Watched any of his games?

Are you deaf? He doesn't have a highlights package - that Jackess rant is like 5 pages and an hour ago.

So basically you're admitting you have no idea?

I'm saying you shouldn't put blind faith in recruiters

If he was as good as they say don't you think he would've kicked more than a goal a game in a junior league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take it from me he's a ripper, I'm just pissed he didn't get through to us at #33, the Berry boys and Hughey will know him, all played with Kai's brother Jacob at the Rebels, Jacob's a pretty handy footballer too but Kai has X factor in spades, speed, agility and stunning aerial ability and loves turning defenders inside out with his moves. You couldn't handle another Lincoln McCarthy?
I love McCarthy but if Johnson turns into the next Pendlebury then I'll be disappointed. I don't have a problem with Lohmann and it feels as though he'll be a crowd favourite but in our situation I would've loved a big swing at a unique midfielder.

I'm not too concerned about the future of our midfield. We can just poach the next gun from freo in a few years on the cheap again

I'm not worried about our next generation midfield either. The pieces are already there with Clugga, Berry, Rayner, Bailey, Dev and possibly Sharp. Add Ashcroft and Fletcher and it's not looking too shabby.

If he was as good as they say don't you think he would've kicked more than a goal a game in a junior league?
He was learning a new role as a high half forward hence the inconsistent start to the year.

I'm not putting blind faith in recruiters. I'm putting faith in a recruiting team whose sole purpose is to find talent and - alongside with trades - have got us the talent to compete for a flag.

You are putting faith in "kid has no highlight package" and "why hasn't he kicked many goals?"

You know who could give you in depth information on Kai? The recruiter's who have actually seen him play, understand the roles he was playing and where his scope is.

No one is saying that. I think you're having arguments with yourself in your head and then typing retorts as replies to random comments. I was going to ask who you would have taken ahead of Kai and why they are a better choice but you don't have an answer to that because you don't know. No one does.

I have faith that our recruiters will have devised a plan, will have assessed the potential draftees and will have executed that plan. The rest is partly a lottery partly development.

Just on tonight.

Geelong was mentioned by our recruiters as have a strong interest in Lohman with their early 20’s pick. It was also mentioned that one or two other teams with early to mid second round picks were interested in Lohman.

Twomey’s information about Lohman basically came from our recruiters in a circuitous manner.

I'm not putting blind faith in recruiters. I'm putting faith in a recruiting team whose sole purpose is to find talent and - alongside with trades - have got us the talent to compete for a flag.

You are putting faith in "kid has no highlight package" and "why hasn't he kicked many goals?"

You know who could give you in depth information on Kai? The recruiter's who have actually seen him play, understand the roles he was playing and where his scope is.
No one is saying that. I think you're having arguments with yourself in your head and then typing retorts as replies to random comments. I was going to ask who you would have taken ahead of Kai and why they are a better choice but you don't have an answer to that because you don't know. No one does.

I have faith that our recruiters will have devised a plan, will have assessed the potential draftees and will have executed that plan. The rest is partly a lottery partly development.

Should we not have a more obvious form line for a first round pick in what I believe was a very crucial draft

It seems most on here are happy for us to have taken a decent sized risk at this pick. I’m not. I think there’s a real risk the last 4 years echo what happened around 10 years ago where we haven’t been able to add enough talent through the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back