List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

I kind of feel like an idiot but I remember back in 2015 when we drafted DC telling this Eagles flogger Dept. Head that he should remember that name ( Cuningham ) because he was gonna win a Brownlow for us within 5 years! His highlights reel was terrific but I got a little carried away thinking we had 4 'A' graders with our first 4 picks! Though if he can overcome his current injury, and have a strong pre-season, I can't see why he couldn't genuinely go up a level and parallel MKs resurrection next year ( and presumably also under either Clarkson or Lyon and a different Post-Teague system.) And he can kick goals. So I reckon I still consider him a potentially formidable asset for us on our way to '17.
Yeah like a Darcy Parish type upswing. 🤞

Apologies if this is the wrong spot for this question or already been covered.

If we do go in with our first round pick (6 atm), are we looking midfield with or KPD ?

Write ups suggesting Ben Hobbs, who is an contested midfielder who isn’t overly athletic (kind of sounds familiar to what we have) is an option at that pick or do we just go best available ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh god, delist/trade/whatever already. 6 seasons down the track and we're still hoping he gets it together. Time to move on.

If we delisted/traded every player you wanted on our list, I'm not sure we'd have enough to field a team.

Last edited:
Will Cuningham ever be more than a highlight reel*?

He has had a few killer games when finally unleashed in the middle - but I am not sure he will ever become a week-in-week-our reliable mid..... He goes missing too much for my liking.

*I know he has battled injury, been moved around the field and lacked continuity.

Short answer - no! its been 6 seasons and were still waiting.

Has any of that translated into results?
Do you mean team results? I doubt anyone expects Ed to be the flag bearer for the team & carry it to wins. If you consider his career, where he came from & the fact that when he's used correctly, he's consistently in our best 8-10 players, he has been very successful.

Did his knee mid May, doubt he'll be ready for preseason. I wouldn't expect a return before the bye.

Anything earlier would be a bonus.
10 months plus 3-4 games in the VFL is a reasonable time frame.

Should be March or April if he's methodical.

I'm not entirely across what the sports science/physiotherapists are doing currently, but surgically it remains a 8-10 month injury for elite athletes.

May-January is 7 months, so he should be thereabouts for round 1 and definitely in full training late in pre-season, assuming no setbacks.
Ah ok.

I was under the impression that it was 10-12 months. Then start to get match fit after that, maybe another month.

I'm happy to be mistaken on this.

Do you mean team results? I doubt anyone expects Ed to be the flag bearer for the team & carry it to wins. If you consider his career, where he came from & the fact that when he's used correctly, he's consistently in our best 8-10 players, he has been very successful.

Im asking does his ticker and high level of training and work ethic translate to those around him. Does it make other players better? Does it translate to better team results?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I kind of feel like an idiot but I remember back in 2015 when we drafted DC telling this Eagles flogger Dept. Head that he should remember that name ( Cuningham ) because he was gonna win a Brownlow for us within 5 years! His highlights reel was terrific but I got a little carried away thinking we had 4 'A' graders with our first 4 picks! Though if he can overcome his current injury, and have a strong pre-season, I can't see why he couldn't genuinely go up a level and parallel MKs resurrection next year ( and presumably also under either Clarkson or Lyon and a different Post-Teague system.) And he can kick goals. So I reckon I still consider him a potentially formidable asset for us on our way to '17.

Admire your optimism as I like Cunners too, definitely not as high as you - I’d be rapt if he could finish top 5 in our B&F let alone win the Brownlow - but I just hope he can be back in the senior team before the mid season bye then over time he develops a solid midfield contributor. On the flip side given the inconsistency and injuries over the last 6 years I also wouldn’t be overly surprised if he doesn’t make it either.

I think we need to do what Melbourne did a couple of years ago, where there got a 2nd top ten pick in the draft. They then picked Jackson and Pickett, which has worked out brilliantly for them.

You realise our problem (one of our problems) is development? How will this change? We've had a million (slight exaggeration) draft picks and it's helped us how?

If he returns with the same physical capabilities, and remains injury free, still expecting him to become one of our top 2-3 players. Has all the star qualities.

I agree, I'm a big 'rap' for the guy. I think he can play but just like everyone else on our list, can't get his body right (suspect it's not his fault?)

My lords, my ladies, and everybody else here not sitting on a cushion! I am trying to locate in one of these forums, someone took the time to go through every player and their provisional contract length, I'm doing a cross-reference from multiple sources and could someone point in me in the right direction, I'm sure its in here, and maybe now I'm mid 30s my eyesight has gone for jimmy hoffa

Sup campaignery. Welcome to the nuthouse. Grab a chair, pour a triple scotch and stay awhile.

BTW ..

Carlton Blues AFL Player Contracts (footywire.com)

Carlton Blues News | AFL 2021 | Zero Hanger
Hey Pommy just to add on, one of our sticky threads has that all written in there. I would link it here but I'm afraid I don't have the technical nous to do so.

EDIT: Well well well, would you look at this...

Even impressed myself.

Im asking does his ticker and high level of training and work ethic translate to those around him. Does it make other players better? Does it translate to better team results?

Who knows - he's only missed a couple of games in the last 4 seasons. Maybe we wouldn't miss him, maybe his absence would see us even more dysfunctional at making territory.

He's worth keeping in my book. You want a few players in the ressies who are absolute known quantities at senior level, the guys you can lean on when someone like Cripps or Kennedy get injured. Would be nice if Setters or SPS were that player, but they haven't shown it yet.

Admire your optimism as I like Cunners too, definitely not as high as you - I’d be rapt if he could finish top 5 in our B&F let alone win the Brownlow - but I just hope he can be back in the senior team before the mid season bye then over time he develops a solid midfield contributor. On the flip side given the inconsistency and injuries over the last 6 years I also wouldn’t be overly surprised if he doesn’t make it either.
I did say that I felt like an idiot for saying that.

From the injury report today…

Caleb Marchbank/David Cuningham (knee): Both ‘Cunners’ and ‘Marchy’ are progressing really well. Marchbank has been running for the last two weeks and Cuningham starts this week. They’re over that initial settling down period, we’re in a strengthening phase. We’re very close to start really getting them conditioned and doing a high-end run block. They’re going to get six months of really high-level training into their bodies.

I'm not entirely across what the sports science/physiotherapists are doing currently, but surgically it remains a 8-10 month injury for elite athletes.

May-January is 7 months, so he should be thereabouts for round 1 and definitely in full training late in pre-season, assuming no setbacks.

Then an Andrew Russell (if he remains) mini pre-season and then training block pre-cursor to joining full training. Pretty cautious is he not with the returning knee injury?

From the injury report today…

Caleb Marchbank/David Cuningham (knee): Both ‘Cunners’ and ‘Marchy’ are progressing really well. Marchbank has been running for the last two weeks and Cuningham starts this week. They’re over that initial settling down period, we’re in a strengthening phase. We’re very close to start really getting them conditioned and doing a high-end run block. They’re going to get six months of really high-level training into their bodies.

I'd be pushing Marchbank hard this preseason - borderline trying to break him again. If his body holds up, our backline gets a huge boost. If it doesn't, he can be moved to the inactive list (or retire) and we can pick up a tall in the SSP. Worst case scenario is we put him in bubble wrap until round one and then he breaks down.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Back