Opinion 2021 Non-Crows AFL 3: Things Fall Apart!

Who sneaks in to 7th & 8th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

People think I’m joking when I ask what happened to the China deal… but really.. what happened to the China deal?

It didn't smell right from the outset. It felt like a junket for AFL and Port Execs and self serving politicians. Port were trying to land a major Chinese sponsor to launch them into the elite rich clubs. It failed, it seemed business deals were being struck left right and centre except Port got nothing out of it other than being the face of it. I also wonder if Kochie got anything personally out of it as the excuses to go were always pipe dream type experimentation and he was so headstrong about it. The trip was also a blight on the competition. For an AFL club to sell a home game to Port for a Junket is the ultimate con job. Why on earth did the AFL ever allow that. The whole thing was on the nose.

People think I’m joking when I ask what happened to the China deal… but really.. what happened to the China deal?

Not saying it ever would have worked, but with the combination of COVID and the destruction of Aus/China bilateral relationships over the last 18 or so months even if it was going to work out circumstances out of their control ****ed them.

If you assume it wasn't going to work, I say this with some irony, it has allowed a lot of people to save face.

While I hate Geelong, they are right on this one. Clarke signed a contract. If he was interested in being traded home he should have not signed. He is a big boy and needs to own his decisions. If he doesn't want to play for them, well he needs to own that and be prepared to walk away to the wafl until his contract with Geelong ends. Having a dummy spit about it is childish from Clarkes perspective and totally unprofessional.

Listened to Tredders on 5AA saying that Power have no cap space. When COVID-19 hit with the cuts to budget they ensured players (Boak, Gray etc) were looked after due to “their loyalty etc” and their salaries weren’t cut. The cuts came from other areas.

Yep, they went all in for 2020 (their 150,000th year anniversary) and the chickens are about to come home to roost.

We will win one of the two Showdowns next year and both the following - the wheel has turned again in SA.

Yikes.

Aren't half their team out of contract next year, including Rozee, Duursma and Butters?

I think this will be their final shot at a flag, and if it doesn't happen there will be a mass exodus.

It didn't smell right from the outset. It felt like a junket for AFL and Port Execs and self serving politicians. Port were trying to land a major Chinese sponsor to launch them into the elite rich clubs. It failed, it seemed business deals were being struck left right and centre except Port got nothing out of it other than being the face of it
Same. Not being an expert on all things China / business relationships, I was prepared to be proven wrong, but I just couldn't see where it was going to do anything for Port.

- And then, you had Port supporters saying at one stage (when the Oliveball money was announced) that they could use the "China money" to pay out Hinkley's contract. I mean, how out of touch did you have to be, to see that there was no "China money" (to be spent by the Club outside of China)?

I actually don’t get it? Clark is an exciting prospect but can’t get a game and refuse to play him where they select old players or duds like Miers. I don’t blame Clark at all and I think he’d excel at Freo, but Geelong want such a high pick for Him

Sounds like it's getting quite ugly.

Any chance we could sign him for our SANFL team as a top up, or has the bridge been burnt?
As a FB not sure Talia helps much .....Is Hartlett going to be our SANFL representative ?

While I hate Geelong, they are right on this one. Clarke signed a contract. If he was interested in being traded home he should have not signed. He is a big boy and needs to own his decisions. If he doesn't want to play for them, well he needs to own that and be prepared to walk away to the wafl until his contract with Geelong ends. Having a dummy spit about it is childish from Clarkes perspective and totally unprofessional.

This actually goes for a lot of Geelong players. They always seem to be able to tie their younger players down to contracts and get good compo for them when the inevitable happens and they want to leave after getting minimal game time. It's the risk you take with signing on after only 1 year in the system, with plenty of players ahead of you in that position, and with a profile that leans towards mature players. Like, Geelong has signed on Narkle, who you think would have had better opportunity elsewhere but has signed on for another meaningless year?

What are their agents doing signing them to these contracts?

As a FB not sure Talia helps much .....Is Hartlett going to be our SANFL representative ?

I would think Talia could help the young blokes out considerably in a Hodge type role down back, helping them with positioning etc.

Not sure I want HH at Crows. I guess it would p155 the Port supporters off at the local showdowns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same. Not being an expert on all things China / business relationships, I was prepared to be proven wrong, but I just couldn't see where it was going to do anything for Port.

- And then you had Port supporters saying at one stage that they could use the "China money" to pay out Hinkley's contract. I mean, how out of touch did you have to be, to see that there was no "China money"?

They were sold the delusion of 1% of the Chinese population potentially becoming financial supporters and the club would boom with cash. Not to mention the conga line of huge corporate Chinese sponsors.

I would think Talia could help the young blokes out considerably in a Hodge type role down back, helping them with positioning etc.

Not sure I want HH at Crows. I guess it would p155 the Port supporters off at the local showdowns.
So I'm reading between the lines here ......you want David Mackay as our SANFL guy 🤣 ......I like your thinking

wow, just got my first official 'caution' on BF. Is this some sort of milestone achievement? :drunk:

It seems Swans supporters don't like being proven as hypocrites.

This actually goes for a lot of Geelong players. They always seem to be able to tie their younger players down to contracts and get good compo for them when the inevitable happens and they want to leave after getting minimal game time. It's the risk you take with signing on after only 1 year in the system, with plenty of players ahead of you in that position, and with a profile that leans towards mature players. Like, Geelong has signed on Narkle, who you think would have had better opportunity elsewhere but has signed on for another meaningless year?

What are their agents doing signing them to these contracts?

At the end of the day its the players who make the decisions.

Kids get coddled more and more these days with schools and parents going out of their way to baby them. They then get drafted and sent far from home in some cases to interstate clubs. Some just aren't able to cope. The question is, should the draft age be lifted to 20. Yes the career is shorter by two years but they can develop in the local leagues.

Covid probably came at a good time for killing that off without too many people noticing.

Then once travel opens they'll just say the international landscape has changed post Covid and they've decided not to start going again.

At the end of the day its the players who make the decisions.

Kids get coddled more and more these days with schools and parents going out of their way to baby them. They then get drafted and sent far from home in some cases to interstate clubs. Some just aren't able to cope. The question is, should the draft age be lifted to 20. Yes the career is shorter by two years but they can develop in the local leagues.
Its purely financial that a kid chooses to move.

He can elect to not go to a Club if drafted.

They were sold the delusion of 1% of the Chinese population potentially becoming financial supporters and the club would boom with cash. Not to mention the conga line of huge corporate Chinese sponsors.
Basically the whole debacle just showed how utterly gullible Port supporters are. They genuinely thought Chinese people who know absolutely nothing about Australian Football and have almost zero interest in Australia generally, were going to suddenly become Port diehards.
It's hilarious.

This is the same group who stand up and sing NTUA with no sense of irony, as their own club destroy their heritage by effectively killing off the SANFL Magpies. The fact they let this happen without a whimper shows how much they have bought in to the BS spin the club is spouting.

Basically the whole debacle just showed how utterly gullible Port supporters are. They genuinely thought Chinese people who know absolutely nothing about Australian Football and have almost zero interest in Australia generally, were going to suddenly become Port diehards.
It's hilarious.

This is the same group who stand up and sing NTUA with no sense of irony, as their own club destroy their heritage by effectively killing off the SANFL Magpies. The fact they let this happen without a whimper shows how much they have bought in to the BS spin the club is spouting.

It does boggle the mind that not one Port fan has ever considered the fact that Hutchins would hate the club using NTUA. It would never have been allowed if he was still alive and ever time the club uses it is an insult to the memory of Hutchins. Yet Kochie is a turd for using it and conning the remaining INXS members into crying for relevance.

When all the decision makers and media get a free junket out of the Chinese trip, there is hardly going to be any criticism. Whenever someone like Rowe questioned it, he was sold the pipe dream. it was the ultimate con job. Terrible all around.

- And then, you had Port supporters saying at one stage (when the Oliveball money was announced) that they could use the "China money" to pay out Hinkley's contract. I mean, how out of touch did you have to be, to see that there was no "China money" (to be spent by the Club outside of China)?
Never forget all the Port supporters that suddenly became China experts in the space of a few months, with vast knowledge of Chinese society, business dealings, politeness and manners.
Then take your mind back to that historic first game and all those clowns that paid thousands to be there.
Then the empty stands and the full marquees out the back.
Bless them all.

Never forget all the Port supporters that suddenly became China experts in the space of a few months, with vast knowledge of Chinese society, business dealings, politeness and manners.
Then take your mind back to that historic first game and all those clowns that paid thousands to be there.
Then the empty stands and the full marquees out the back.
Bless them all.

It also derailed several of their seasons on-field.

It's no coincidence they suddenly shot up the ladder when they no longer had that as a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back