Opinion 2021 Non-Crows AFL 3: Things Fall Apart!

Who sneaks in to 7th & 8th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It didn't smell right from the outset. It felt like a junket for AFL and Port Execs and self serving politicians. Port were trying to land a major Chinese sponsor to launch them into the elite rich clubs. It failed, it seemed business deals were being struck left right and centre except Port got nothing out of it other than being the face of it. I also wonder if Kochie got anything personally out of it as the excuses to go were always pipe dream type experimentation and he was so headstrong about it. The trip was also a blight on the competition. For an AFL club to sell a home game to Port for a Junket is the ultimate con job. Why on earth did the AFL ever allow that. The whole thing was on the nose.
You realise MG is Chinese right?

How much is it worth though? If that’s all you’ve got out of it was it worth it and how much has it cost you….not just in money….well other people’s money, but in general.
I’ll start. It cost you having the first SA AFLW team.

If I was a Pear supporter, I would be up in arms with the moves (or lack of) made this off season…

- after being smacked in the prelim they haven’t addressed perceived weaknesses in their lineup.

- haven’t relieved any perceived salary cap concerns to chase any SA prospects possibly becoming available in next couple years.

- More clubs are spending big on footy/coaching dptments (eg. Melb, Crows) to ensure success. Meanwhile Pears footy/coaching department has been decimated, and they’ve just filled the positions with cheap top ups.

I think there is a real chance they might struggle at times next year…

Nah, they just had a bad night on Preliminary Final night. Nothing wrong with game plan or players.

Will bounce back next year. This is just like they were entering 2004 so the muppets are saying.

Sorry, they ain’t going to happen. This side has one more chance on the proviso all things go well - soft draw, no injuries and basically all the other clubs falling over.

wow, just got my first official 'caution' on BF. Is this some sort of milestone achievement? :drunk:

It seems Swans supporters don't like being proven as hypocrites.

I made a comment on there in response to a post about Melbourne's historical pick swaps working against clubs, and i said 'we had Melbs 2nd rounder and that didnt go too well for us either..'

It got deleted for trolling?

I made a comment on there in response to a post about Melbourne's historical pick swaps working against clubs, and i said 'we had Melbs 2nd rounder and that didnt go too well for us either..'

It got deleted for trolling?

and now I got a formal warning with 1 point for being called a knob

don't think I'll be back on their board, obviously very precious.

AFLPA hilarious on Trade Radio. Yeah we'd like longer off seasons, shorter free agency qualifications, COLA reinstated, etc .. But we won't give anything for those.

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wanting COLA reinstated is a bit short sighted. It results in 17 out of every 18 players being disadvantaged in terms of achieving ultimate success.

I get that (I am living over here so I totally get it) but at the same time, how many interstaters cant go because there are no flights, or the prices go up ridiculously around that time (I remember living in perth and it was cheaper to fly to Europe than to fly to Melbs around GF time!) and they cannot afford it, or because they simply cannot get a ticket. Most people will never get to go to a GF for their own team.

Is it proven that prices go up? I got normal prices when I booked Alice Springs to Melbourne for the 2017 GF. All the cheap seats selling quickly leaving only the fully flexible stuff isnt the same as prices rising. I would expect any additional flights might not include cheaper seats, but if you book early enough on a standard flight, I'd expect pricing to be the norm.

Was said a couple of weeks ago, he'd more than likely retire ....didn't want to leave ADEL due to upcoming business interests ....and I'd suggest with a young family and maybe 2 years of AFL footy still left ...he'd prefer not to uproot his family now from the extended family

Completely understandable

realisations that likely occurred after he found out his value in the marketplace. He probably could have gotten himself a low base contract with decent games played rate from a contending or developing group. But him bearing the risk of his body compared to existing options likely not worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

realisations that likely occurred after he found out his value in the marketplace. He probably could have gotten himself a low base contract with decent games played rate from a contending or developing group. But him bearing the risk of his body compared to existing options likely not worth it.

Yeah long term he is best off not risking further damage by continuing to play imo

Great example of how stupid Koch thinks his clubs supporters are.

Gaining MG as a sponsor is touted as a great success for the "China Strategy" and sold as such to the Tealsters lemmings.

Reality being, MG saw Port sponsorship as a cheap option for brand recognition as part of its Australian launch. Every major car seller in Australia sponsors an AFL club. Port had a major sponsorship slot available at the time of their launch.

More a coincidence than a real part of the "Chinese Strategy".

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
They are in a worse spot than when Keith Thomas took over.

Chasing dragons in China blew out their debt before COVID hit.

KT was a terrible CEO, Koch is a terrible President.

Our camp/Brett Burton issues far easier to fix compared to the debt KT racked up and Fagan/Chapman did get us into a GF and we are in a position to build a new HQ. Not saying they were great, but far better than KT.

Needing to pay down $12,0000,000 plus in debt and having the AFL control expenditure is KTs legacy at Port.

You overstate the AFL influence. Port and the other AFL indebted clubs are still spending the full footy dept and player caps. It's costs outside of that the where the AFL concerns itself. We chose bank lending to avoid the AFL forcing us to close down our resource draining side hustles. In terms of China, they did that with the full support of the AFL.

How much is it worth though? If that’s all you’ve got out of it was it worth it and how much has it cost you….not just in money….well other people’s money, but in general.
I’ll start. It cost you having the first SA AFLW team.

That's doubtful, neither SA club was going to get one initially but our partnering with the NT forced the AFLs hand.

That's doubtful, neither SA club was going to get one initially but our partnering with the NT forced the AFLs hand.
From my recollections the AFL was keen on Port having one but they couldn’t manage China and AFLW at the same time. Once Adelaide proposed the link with NT the AFL got on board.
My point is that the AFL were keen to have Port have the first SA AFLW team whether it was from the outset or not.

At the end of the day its the players who make the decisions.

Kids get coddled more and more these days with schools and parents going out of their way to baby them. They then get drafted and sent far from home in some cases to interstate clubs. Some just aren't able to cope. The question is, should the draft age be lifted to 20. Yes the career is shorter by two years but they can develop in the local leagues.

It's much more likely Clarke is leaving for a best 22 spot and more money, not any homesickness reasons.

You overstate the AFL influence. Port and the other AFL indebted clubs are still spending the full footy dept and player caps. It's costs outside of that the where the AFL concerns itself. We chose bank lending to avoid the AFL forcing us to close down our resource draining side hustles. In terms of China, they did that with the full support of the AFL.
Player cap yes. Player salaries funded by AFL.

Clubs have to fund the Football Department though.

A few years ago North made a big deal about being able to fully fund their Football Department.

You would think they would want to replace Voss and Schofield with more than internal promotions and an Analytics/Development coach in Luke Kelly.

It is one thing Fagan fought for after AFL said no. Partnership with NT made our case stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back