2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That destination club thing is over-rated. It sounds good to fans, especially as it reinforces the suggestion that we are the departure lounge club.
I much prefer ours, being a Retirement Club.

Put your feet up, get paid solid dollars and spend the twilight of your career in the SANFL.

yes, we traded him in on a new Doedee from the dealership

Hyundai Doedee, the wife is deciding between that and a Kona right now

Yeah went over my head initially. Now that i've checked, I'm glad it did

“The benefits of a classical education”

Yeah, kinda lends a whole new angle to the character, huh?

ANNOUNCER: “Hey kids! After our competition, we’re going to name this guy Humbert H. Bear, and the first thing he’s going to do is take all the 12 year old girls on a scenic tour of New England to various motels where he’ll incompetently drug them and... what the ****?”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching footy classified - leads me to a question I think about daily - who has the more punchable face - Sam Manure or Fireman Kane. I am going to have to go with the former...thoughts?

The future first rounder we got as part of that trade eventually got us Pedlar IIRC.

Lever is in AA form so far this year though.

Yep. Got us McAsey as well but I'm not sure that's anything to write home about.

The Lever traded is starting to look more in our favour now since we managed to turn one of the steak knives that got thrown in into Sholl. The final result of the trade ended up being:

Melbourne received: Jake Lever, Harrison Petty (who?) and James Jordon (who?)
Adelaide received: Darcy Fogarty, Fischer McAsey, Lachlan Sholl and Luke Pedlar.

Along the way, Melbourne also gave up pick 41 in the 2018 draft, and we gave up pick 65 in the 2019 draft (which itself was the steak knives from the McGovern trade)

Last edited:
Just watching footy classified - leads me to a question I think about daily - who has the more punchable face - Sam Manure or Fireman Kane. I am going to have to go with the former...thoughts?
w-buzzfeed-com-elpaso-girl-jpg.194390

Yep. Got us McAsey as well but I'm not sure that's anything to write home about.

The Lever traded is starting to look more in our favour now since we managed to turn one of the steak knives that got thrown in into Sholl. The final result of the trade ended up being:

Melbourne received: Jake Lever, Harrison Petty (who?) and James Jordon (who?)
Adelaide received: Darcy Fogarty, Fischer McAsey, Lachlan Sholl and Luke Pedlar.

Along the way, Melbourne also gave up pick 41 in the 2018 draft, and we gave up pick 65 in the 2019 draft (which itself was the steak knives from the McGovern trade)

Not quite true. Fogarty was drafted from the pick we got from Charlie Cameron

For Lever we got 10, 2018 1st and a 2018 4th for Lever, 35 and a 2018 3rd

Pick 10 → Traded to Carlton with a bunch of other picks for Bryce Gibbs
2018 1st → Pick 19 → Live Traded to Carlton with 2019 1st for Carlton 2019 1st → Pick 4 → Traded to GWS for Pick 6 and 2020 1st → Fischer McAsey
2020 1st → Pick 11 → Luke Pedlar
2018 4th → Pick 67 → Live traded to Carlton with 2019 5th for pick 64 → Lachie Sholl

Melbourne didn't get James Jordon with our 2018 3rd, they traded up with St Kilda to get Tom Sparrow

So the actual trade is

Out: Lever, Pick 11 (2019), Pick 37 (2017), Pick 47 (2018), 2019 5th
In: Bryce Gibbs (partial), McAsey (Pick 6, 2019), Luke Pedlar (Pick 11, 2020), Lachie Sholl (Pick 64, 2018)

The full trail ends up that we gave up Lever, two first round picks and two second round picks (plus later picks) for Gibbs, McAsey, Pedlar, Hamill, Worrell and Sholl

Last edited:
That destination club thing is over-rated. It sounds good to fans, especially as it reinforces the suggestion that we are the departure lounge club.

I've never understood the reason the term exists. 'Destination club', seriously, is there a trophy for the most destinationist club at the end of the trade period. It's a term for children to use to help them believe their club is better than another that they're not performing better than where it actually counts.

Last edited:
I just wish the clubs themselves realised this. Their obsession with chasing a good news story sometimes leads them to mismanage their lists.

I doubt that's why recruitment errors occur. We thought Gibbs would improve us and we'd just finished second. We'd also just lost 2 best 22 players and, typically us, had no faith in what was coming through behind the anointed 22. I'd take a free hit to try and resurrect a Trengove or Toumpass instead of knowing Mackay will bring us the same shit. Teach either of those two the patterns and as long as they remain fit I bet they would provide no different a result. Our problem is paying second rounders for OOC players that likely have little market value ie Menzel and Hampton.

Not quite true. Fogarty was drafted from the pick we got from Charlie Cameron

For Lever we got 10, 2018 1st and a 2018 4th for Lever, 35 and a 2018 3rd

Pick 10 → Traded to Carlton with a bunch of other picks for Bryce Gibbs
2018 1st → Pick 19 → Live Traded to Carlton with 2019 1st for Carlton 2019 1st → Pick 4 → Traded to GWS for Pick 6 and 2020 1st → Fischer McAsey
2020 1st → Pick 11 → Luke Pedlar
2018 4th → Pick 67 → Live traded to Carlton with 2019 5th for pick 64 → Lachie Sholl

Melbourne didn't get James Jordon with our 2018 3rd, they traded up with St Kilda to get Tom Sparrow

So the actual trade is

Out: Lever, Pick 11 (2019), Pick 37 (2017), Pick 47 (2018), 2019 5th
In: Bryce Gibbs (partial), McAsey (Pick 6, 2019), Luke Pedlar (Pick 11, 2020), Lachie Sholl (Pick 64, 2018)

The full trail ends up that we gave up Lever, two first round picks and two second round picks (plus later picks) for Gibbs, McAsey, Pedlar, Hamill, Worrell and Sholl

Gah, so close. You're right of course.

I've never understood the reason the term exists. 'Destination club', seriously, is there a trophy for the most destinationist club at the end of the trade period. It's a term for children to use to help them believe their club is better than another that they're not performing better than where it actually counts.

destination club is from the same land of fantasy and make believe as player home sickness

destination club is from the same land of fantasy and make believe as player home sickness

My favourite is that if you hold a player to contract or play hardball at the trade table then no player will ever want to come to your club ever again. I'd like to think it's just 12 year olds posting that, but unfortunately there's a lot of stupid adults around.

A get this rubbish thrown in my face by a Power supporter - “Orazio could have come to two teams in this State, he chose us”.

I just respond with how are Watts, Rockliff, Ryder and Polec going? Followed by each was a missing piece and what have you got - no grand finals, one preliminary final in a compromised season since 2014?

Both Orazio and Allir aren’t going to be the solutions either.
He chose them because we weren't interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back