2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First it was Roo now Sloaney....:thumbsdown:

Pressed on whether actions like Dangerfield's deserve to be penalised with a suspension, Sloane said: "I think you're making too much of this really.

"That one was just completely unlucky. You could see Danger was hardly going for a bump. In the end it was just a head clash."

Sloane is hopeful Kelly may be able to return in round three after sitting out the mandatory 12 days under the AFL's new concussion protocols.

Tex said no different, players will always publicly back their mates and really every other listed player. They leave the criticism to the rest of the industry.

Remember the 'good old days' when a player would get reported and the player he hit would stand up at the tribunal and deny he was ever hit. TV and many other things have changed that..but I must admit I was trying to picture how this would have played out years ago - young Kelly standing in the tribunal with a very black and bruised face and no doubt a hazy memory of the incident telling the panel that he tripped over and danger never hit him to protect dangerfield like they all generally used to.

How times have changed...and for the better

Remember the 'good old days' when a player would get reported and the player he hit would stand up at the tribunal and deny he was ever hit. TV and many other things have changed that..but I must admit I was trying to picture how this would have played out years ago - young Kelly standing in the tribunal with a very black and bruised face and no doubt a hazy memory of the incident telling the panel that he tripped over and danger never hit him to protect dangerfield like they all generally used to.

How times have changed...and for the better

Was Matty Knights and the Libba eye gouging event the first movement away from the old ways? Pretty sure he squealed like the proverbial. Not that his evidence would have made much difference.

Was Matty Knights and the Libba eye gouging event the first movement away from the old ways? Pretty sure he squealed like the proverbial. Not that his evidence would have made much difference.
I'd say that TV was the big change - games that were not broadcast or very poorly so players could get away with a lot more and the mates protecting mates / players under the old 'code' could be used so to speak. But with every angle now covered players just can't get away with things and no amount of the victim saying he was not hit etc will change it when it is there on film

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There was a massive void between dave graingers ears..he was a simple bloke that followed mainly 1 word instruction. But yeah he never worried about trying to hide what he did
Apart from throwing Cahill and PAFC in the shit when he spilled the beans on the club telling him to take out Cornes, apparently Granger said that he’d be f%^*ed by the tribunal due to his record but Cahill promised the club would look after him.....according to Granger they didn’t.
😂😂😂

While on it, I can't come to the 'no malice' argument or even that it was 'reckless'.

Dangerfield's eyes are solely on the player. He has no interest in the ball. When it leaves Kelly's hands, his eyes stay firmly on Kelly. He also accelerates in the last step and leans into Kelly. He is making a very conscious decision to hit Kelly as hard as possible. There was definite malice.
Did he mean to hit him in the head? No. But he very much intended to cause maximum damage.
To give Danger the benefit, he could have avoided solid contact but the aim would have been to stop Kelly running on and being in a position to receive or create any overlap. As Danger was coming the opposite way he was out of the contest, so he's looking to stop Kelly coming past him. Danger could have just turned his back on Kelly and achieved the same result but chose to hip and shoulder.

I don't agree that there's malice or intent to hurt Kelly, but there was certainly an intent to make contact and stop Kelly. And the consequences were bad.

I think that three weeks is about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back