2021 Non-Crows AFL Discussion Part 1: we can have lots of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If only we had Academy compensation advantage like Sydney do. That's why Sydney don't ever need long with their rebuilds.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Florent, Hayward, Dawson, McDonald and Warner have all been very good for them so far. They have drafted very well outside of their academy. Also, Sam Wicks was a part of their academy, but was a category B rookie pick. Every other club could have picked him up in the main draft if they wanted to.

It would be nice to hear from the whinges here about the Crows performance last week against Sydney.

It takes about 6-7 weeks until you get a feel for the season.

Richmond have had a soft draw based on last years final positions - Carlton, Hawthorn and Sydney. Their double ups are Brisbane, Geelong, Hawthorn, GWS and Saints.

RE Kayo, YMMV. I’m an interstate supporter, wouldn’t have been able to watch the game last night without it as it wasn’t on free to air in Perth. I’m also into the NBA and they air a lot of those games. The Kayo mini cuts they put out are top notch. Cut down an NBA game to a half hour. Knock over a couple of a night after the Wife has gone to bed.
Finally got Minis for afl this year which have been brilliant

In their Sydney Academy of course.
Category B rookie.
I am aware of that. Every other club still could have picked him up in the main draft if they wanted once they only offered him a Cat B rookie spot. My understanding is Sydney would not have been able to match that.

RE Kayo, YMMV. I’m an interstate supporter, wouldn’t have been able to watch the game last night without it as it wasn’t on free to air in Perth. I’m also into the NBA and they air a lot of those games. The Kayo mini cuts they put out are top notch. Cut down an NBA game to a half hour. Knock over a couple of a night after the Wife has gone to bed.

Brilliant

They were brought in in 2017, after the pre-season camp in 2018 the majority of players made it clear they didn't want anything to do with them again. Then mid-year 2018 Pyke brought them back which is when we had our 91 point loss to the Demons and Pyke did his 3 quarter time staredown on the players. They quit on the game in protest and he knew it.
So Pyke double down on CM and a few months later he and Burton finally "apologies" for CM, no wonder our form went to sh*t after the mid season break in 2018 and then the entire 2019, makes a lot of sense with that playing group and a big coach and list turnover was required end of 2019. I give Nicks even more credit now.

But I thought double ups we're the 5 other teams around you on the ladder?

Ie. If you come 1st, you play 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th twice?

Nah, that's not how it works. You play up to 3 games against teams which finished around you.

For instance from the draw, Port got:

Saints and Collingwood (2 x matches against the top 6).
Dogs and Carlton (2 x matches in the 7-12 bracket).
Adelaide (1 x match against the 13-18 bracket).

foxfooty did an ok breakdown on how it works:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best bit about our game v sydney last week was that we were able to generate 33 scoring shots against tgem and they look a pretty powerful unit. I am very happy and comfortable with where we are tracking right now
As am I at the minute, and I would think a lot of us would be now. Also, good to see Richmond get a little touch in the final term so they can come over here and hopefully knock off the other mob here next week.

Best bit about our game v sydney last week was that we were able to generate 33 scoring shots against tgem and they look a pretty powerful unit. I am very happy and comfortable with where we are tracking right now
And at the SCG with the hype of Buddy's back game and most were shot on goal (a lot of them were very gettable as well) and not rush behinds.

Jesus that's a soft draw. They'll prob be minor prems again with that bullshit.
No its 1 team in the top 6 middle 6 and bottom 6 plus always a showdown and 1 extra in your 6 group that you finished last year

So Collingwood and Saints were the top top 6 teams, dogs the middle 6 Carlton the bottom 6 plus a showdown

What actually is the deal there?

The AFL give them money to run an academy. The academy is full of the best AFL talent in NSW and ACT. The Swans get to pick the best players every year.

Essentially: a) they get the best 2 or 3 kids from NSW every year, and b) they identify them and have them train with them from about 15 years old.

It'd be like Adelaide or Port having Rozee, Pickett, Rankine, Lukosius, Powell and Pedlar from the last 3 drafts, regardless of where they finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back