Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure anyone is gonna be right or wrong on this since half those guys will be rotating through other positions anyway.

Yeah, I was more trying to get a picture of who's going to find it particularly hard to get a game if everyone's fit. There's a limit to the number of minutes available in the guts, and lots of guys want them. Anyone who isn't near the top of this list and can't play another position is going to be pretty hard up for a game unless others are injured.

The most obvious ones in trouble for mine are:

- Dunstan - a solid clearance pig but clearly others are ahead of him at this point, unless he does something special.
- Sinclair - he's developed into a decent inside-outside mid, but I suspect he won't get a lot of games if all are fit.
- Bytel - needs minutes in the guts but a lot are better than him at this point.
- Billings - just isn't that good around centre bounces, so I think he moves elsewhere (personally I hope to HBF).
- Higgins - sounds like we promised him midfield minutes but I'm not completely sure where they'll come from.
- Ross - probably keeps playing tagger which will keep him in the rotation, but others would be ahead of him as pure mid.

Probably all a moot point because Crouch and Hanners will be lucky to play 20 between them, but fingers crossed we have these problems!

Yeah, I was more trying to get a picture of who's going to find it particularly hard to get a game if everyone's fit. There's a limit to the number of minutes available in the guts, and lots of guys want them. Anyone who isn't near the top of this list and can't play another position is going to be pretty hard up for a game unless others are injured.

- Dunstan - a solid clearance pig but clearly others are ahead of him at this point, unless he does something special.
- Sinclair - he's developed into a decent inside-outside mid, but I suspect he won't get a lot of games if all are fit.
- Bytel - needs minutes in the guts but a lot are better than him at this point.
- Billings - just isn't that good around centre bounces, so I think he moves elsewhere (personally I hope to HBF).
- Higgins - sounds like we promised him midfield minutes but I'm not completely sure where they'll come from.
- Ross - probably keeps playing tagger which will keep him in the rotation, but others would be ahead of him as pure mid.

Probably all a moot point because Crouch and Hanners will be lucky to play 20 between them, but fingers crossed we have these problems!

I'm hoping Bytel is played off the bench against mid table teams, but also gets a proper go against some of the struggling teams this year. Same with Byrnes. Kids need exposure.
As for promising Higgins midfield time, I reckon he'll rotate with Gresh a bit.
Team is looking good.

I'm hoping Bytel is played off the bench against mid table teams, but also gets a proper go against some of the struggling teams this year.

Yeah, personally I’m desperate to see more Bytel as he looks very promising, but will take a lot of games to grow into his AFL body.

But I reckon our signings have shown that we’re very much playing for now rather than the future, so with all fit I just can’t see him running around in the ones that much.

Why Billings to HBF? HFF for mine

Why Billings to HBF? HFF for mine

IMO there are plenty of HFF options - Higgins, Gresh, Kent, Butler, Sinclair, Lonie - not to mention rotating mids through there, because it's not a super tough position to play.

HBF on the other hand I think we haven't actually got that many good options, having lost Savage and Hind and moving Clark into the midfield full-time. Billings has great workrate, great kicking, smart footy brain, decent overhead - I suspect putting him behind the ball like that he could do a huge amount for us. I'm picturing him a bit like Joel Smith in his heyday. More contemporary, maybe like Daniel Rich's role.

IMO there are plenty of HFF options - Higgins, Gresh, Kent, Butler, Sinclair, Lonie - not to mention rotating mids through there, because it's not a super tough position to play.

HBF on the other hand I think we haven't actually got that many good options, having lost Savage and Hind and moving Clark into the midfield full-time. Billings has great workrate, great kicking, smart footy brain, decent overhead - I suspect putting him behind the ball like that he could do a huge amount for us. I'm picturing him a bit like Joel Smith in his heyday. More contemporary, maybe like Daniel Rich's role.

There is alot of Brett Deledio about the way he plays. He was a gun back there

i think he wouldn't like it. as didn't he say a few years ago that he wanted more midfield time?

I want Byrnes to get a decent go this season. And in the midfield. Looked like the coach was playing favourites last season, Bytel who was'nt doing as well as Byrnes in the scratch matches getting a run of three games in the midfield, whereas Byrnes was only given one, and as a small forward which he is'nt.

I want Byrnes to get a decent go this season. And in the midfield. Looked like the coach was playing favourites last season, Bytel who was'nt doing as well as Byrnes in the scratch matches getting a run of three games in the midfield, whereas Byrnes was only given one, and as a small forward which he is'nt.
Bytel got more than 2 touches at AFL level. That's why he got more games.

I think that's close to the money, but l can't stomach the idea that Bytel will not be fed into the team.

Going by the talk from last year, Higgins was targeted because he can play mid, and Ratts will use him, Gresh and JB as rotating mid/forwards.
Steele will be rested/used more in the forward line too.

Our pure mids IMO are Crouch, Bytel, Dunny and Ross because his disposal prevents him playing elsewhere.
Steele was on that list but he's grown his game lately to become an all-rounder.

Dunstan l think we all agree isn't in contention, but looks to have trimmed down and you'd hope he gets an opportunity. He becomes a RFA at the end of this season and will likely go elsewhere.

Bytel and Byrnes will probably find their way in as injuries take their toll.
Without games last year, l don't see any harm having them play at Sandy to begin with, but l think the they are a higher priority than Dunny, Sincs or Lonie.
Time is on their side.

Sincs grew in stature last season, but yeah he's not in the 22.
Again, some time at Sandy with the simple directive to get more of the pill might be the right thing.
He's an ideal depth player atm, but l suspect now he gets by on hard work and application and is missing the nous that's necessary for those 5 to 10 extra possessions.
He's too good to throw away, but not good enough to get poached.
Byrnes should overtake him soon, but l don't see him falling off the list due to being cheap and handy.

This year's off season shapes as another massive one for us.
Gags has fully half the squad OOC and it will get very bloody.

List sizes will reduce another 2.

If we land a premo FA mid, it will be the end of Ross who is a FA too.
Dunny a RFA and probably gone.
Lonie gone for opportunity.
Robbo gone.
Clav probably gone.
Joyce gone.
Alabakis gone.
Gears retired
Kent OOC becomes depth or gone.
Do Jweb and Dmac have triggers for 2022 or are they gone?
Jake and Chip each with only a 1+1
Connolly OOC, where's he at?

We've been very smart to keep our list to the minimum this year.
The payoff will be that we can scoop the pool for talent late in the draft and have plenty of time to let them develop.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that's close to the money, but l can't stomach the idea that Bytel will not be fed into the team.

List sizes will reduce another 2.

If we land a premo FA mid, it will be the end of Ross who is a FA too.
Dunny a RFA and probably gone.
Lonie gone for opportunity.
Robbo gone.
Clav probably gone.
Joyce gone.
Alabakis gone.
Gears retired
Kent OOC becomes depth or gone.
Do Jweb and Dmac have triggers for 2022 or are they gone?
Jake and Chip each with only a 1+1
Connolly OOC, where's he at?

We've been very smart to keep our list to the minimum this year.
The payoff will be that we can scoop the pool for talent late in the draft and have plenty of time to let them develop.
Is this known or just an assumption?

That is rubbish. Byrnes had six possessions in his limited time on the ground.
Byrnes time wasn't limited, Bytel had less TOG for 18 touches and didn't look out of his league like Byrnes did. I like Byrnes, I think he'll be a good player but he got as many opportunities as he deserved last year as did Bytel.

I read it somewhere but buggered if l remember where.

The deal was struck with the AFLPA so it'll be reported on the webasphere somewhere.

It won't necessarily effect us since we are already at -3 on list size.
Yes it was confirmed, but like everything with Covid, take it with a grain of salt. Things change quickly.

You can hope all you like but Byrnes is behind

Hannebery
Steele
Crouch
Jones
Billings
Clark
Gresham
Ross
Bytel
Higgins

About level with Sinclair & Dunstan

If Higgins is going to play midfield I look forward to being convinced he’s got the tank for it. He’s not exactly shredded and looks more conditioned to serve me a canteen dinner. Look how trim Gresh is looking for example, and Byrnes kicked goals in the time trial.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dane Swan looked like an inflatable mattress and went okay.

If Higgins is going to play midfield I look forward to being convinced he’s got the tank for it. He’s not exactly shredded and looks more conditioned to serve me a canteen dinner. Look how trim Gresh is looking for example, and Byrnes kicked goals in the time trial.

McKenzie kicks goals in the Time Trials every year

One, that's pretty harsh on a kid who's had a hell of a last couple years. Two, his size and 'look' doesn't really correlate to ability to play. Swan, Hodge and even Stuv were far from ripped and all had pretty handy careers.

Three I'm pretty sure it's 'has hopes to become a mid down the line'. Even Gresh is still in the same boat despite 2 extra years in the system (3 if you account for a total loss of one season).

I'd put Higgins in the same boat as Bytel development wise (although that's harsh cos Bytel looks like a ripped surfer form the Gold Coast).

Give him a chance.

That Hannebery result is extremely exciting. The midfield has been a weakness even in 2020, where we were obviously helped by the massive emergence of Steele and Zak Jones being a bit of a surprise packet. It still hurt us in many games.

By bringing in Crouch and if we add a fully fit Hannebery, along with Gresham and the emergence of Clark, the midfield suddenly looks quite good and potentially top 4.

It also puts paid to the idea that has been purported by some of our fans that Hannebery is just cashing in. Clearly he has been working very hard over the off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back