Training 2021 - Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, the thumb injury worries me more than a collarbone anyway. They can get nasty and would have an impact on skills you would think.

On a side point, I wonder where suma is getting his news from since he burned his bridges at both clubs.
So that is gospel now that Suma has burned all the bri
Are they really reasonable though? He's referring to 2 multiple all Australians, one who's only "failure" to deliver is based on injury and the other who's game has always been about elite endurance and high disposal count. His call sounds like he's trying to find any negative he can for the sake of it.
Gaff always has his critics on this board relating to Suma comments and Nic has been perplexing as well due to injuries and always being managed but worth every cent when he’s on ..

I don’t think the criticism by suma is necessarily unusual- he’s entitled to an opinion whether he likes us or he doesn’t. I don’t think it’s anything that hasn’t been thrown up in the past.

The problem I have with it is that it is inherently lazy as an opinion. It offers nothing.

We base Nic’s game on his strengths. No other ruckman in the competition has his ability at the contest, to generate scores from stoppages, or carry a midfield like he does. But it is high intensity. We could build Nic up to run more, play more game time, get a few cheap uncontested marks around the ground but he would be less effective in the main role he is there for- his rucking. That’s on field, then there’s all the off-field positive stuff he does for the club, he’s worth every penny.

As for Gaff- I for one would love to see him return to his 2018 form which prior to the incident he was a goalkicking midfielder and hit the scoreboard regularly. But again, because we have been blessed with such an efficient forward line- we haven’t needed that as much. What we have needed is someone to do a bucketload of running and overlap run and provide an outlet option. With the 16 minute quarters, it reduced his output because it took away his biggest strength, that ability to still be running when everyone else has stopped. That ability will come to the fore this year I think as it’s going to be a big adjustments with the rotations reducing. Allowing our other mids to rest a little longer while he picks up the slack, is something that doesn’t get highlighted enough.

He was at the Derby, I remember seeing him sat up the back

I couldn't remember whether it was Derby 1 or 2, but I think you might be right.

That's good news. If he had done a collarbone he would have been in a figure 8 sling with his arm immobilised.

I don’t think the criticism by suma is necessarily unusual- he’s entitled to an opinion whether he likes us or he doesn’t. I don’t think it’s anything that hasn’t been thrown up in the past.

The problem I have with it is that it is inherently lazy as an opinion. It offers nothing.

We base Nic’s game on his strengths. No other ruckman in the competition has his ability at the contest, to generate scores from stoppages, or carry a midfield like he does. But it is high intensity. We could build Nic up to run more, play more game time, get a few cheap uncontested marks around the ground but he would be less effective in the main role he is there for- his rucking. That’s on field, then there’s all the off-field positive stuff he does for the club, he’s worth every penny.

As for Gaff- I for one would love to see him return to his 2018 form which prior to the incident he was a goalkicking midfielder and hit the scoreboard regularly. But again, because we have been blessed with such an efficient forward line- we haven’t needed that as much. What we have needed is someone to do a bucketload of running and overlap run and provide an outlet option. With the 16 minute quarters, it reduced his output because it took away his biggest strength, that ability to still be running when everyone else has stopped. That ability will come to the fore this year I think as it’s going to be a big adjustments with the rotations reducing. Allowing our other mids to rest a little longer while he picks up the slack, is something that doesn’t get highlighted enough.

Came here to write something similar

Nic is moneyball for us - basically he influences games and our team above and beyond whatever his pay packet is.

Gaff I expect to have close to a career best year. With the rise in marking across the competition due to the rule change we will constantly look for a free player. A player who can gut run better than any AND spend almost 100% of the game on the ground is going to be vital with reduced interchange and the new MoM rule. (FWIW I see Duggan having a massive impact in these areas too).

I couldn't remember whether it was Derby 1 or 2, but I think you might be right.

That's good news. If he had done a collarbone he would have been in a figure 8 sling with his arm immobilised.

He certainly was there. He was on the telecast before the game in the rooms with no sogn of any collarbone issues

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sumich - makes reasonable points regarding two of our most highly paid players

WCEBF Board - Sermitch is a dog doodoo. Even Pooples not want. Hurhurhur.

SMFH.
Wouldn’t have it any other way.

:shoutyoldman:

So have we heard any deets about Luke Shuey's ankle?

Sweeny on 6pr saying JK and Kelly to play in the intraclub this Friday. Also mentions if it was the season Kelly would have played both derbies.

So sounds like Hackdorn and Sumas sources were wrong.
Maybe they overheard him commenting on the stitching of the new Castore jumpers, and he was saying “the collar is boned”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumo talking always sounded like he had a mouthful of broccoli...maybe he had a really high IQ
but his broccoli let him down...?

Sweeny on 6pr saying JK and Kelly to play in the intraclub this Friday. Also mentions if it was the season Kelly would have played both derbies.

So sounds like Hackdorn and Sumas sources were wrong.
Sweeney wins my “correct sauce that is what’s best for West Coast” of the day award.

Well done Patrick

Zac Langdon back in the Gym .....back full training Thursday , available Sunday v Gold Coast . Doubt he will play Sunday week but sounds like he will be available which is a good recovery !!

Any idea when the intraclub match is and WHAT THE fu**EN SCORE IS FFS?!

I’m guessing it’ll be tomorrow given that the derby was on Sunday so today would only be a 5 day break

Our season launch is also lunchtime today so that would perhaps get in the way of any intraclub played today

I’m guessing it’ll be tomorrow given that the derby was on Sunday so today would only be a 5 day break

Our season launch is also lunchtime today so that would perhaps get in the way of any intraclub played today

Shuey on 92 this morning said its this morning. They then get the weekend off.

I like hearing this.

I felt that this time last year TK had become a bit full of himself. I recall an interview 12 months ago him saying something about how he was going to make the midfield better, as opposed to the standard “I’m here to play my role” and he obviously turned up to pre season last year carrying some extra kegs. Inside word was the club was very unhappy with his time trial at the beginning of last year.

He came across as someone who had started to believe his own hype.

When you lose your humility you can fall into the complacency trap, and I think that is partially what happened last year.

He had some great games for us (h&a against collingwood/r17 v st Kilda) and some pretty poor games too.

I’m hoping that getting tagged out of the EF has left him with a burning desire to prove himself in 2021.

Last edited:
I like hearing this.

I felt that this time last year TK had become a bit full of himself. I recall an interview 12 months ago him saying something about how he was going to make the midfield better, as opposed to the standard “I’m here to lay my role” and he obviously turned up to pre season last year carrying some extra kegs. Inside word was the club was very unhappy with his time trial at the beginning of last year.

He came across as someone who had started to believe his own hype.

When you lose your humility you can fall into the complacency trap, and I think that is partially what happened last year.

He had some great games for us (h&a against collingwood/r17 v st Kilda) and some pretty poor games too.

I’m hoping that getting tagged out of the EF has left him with a burning desire to prove himself in 2021.

Yeah he had that vibe he was just happy to be home and was content. I remember him coming back a bit tubby but he started this pre-season looking extremely trim.

Maybe they overheard him commenting on the stitching of the new Castore jumpers, and he was saying “the collar is boned”.
Maybe Suma saw this. Wrong sport, wrong country and 12 years ago, but a Tim Kelly did break his collar bone once. I forgive him, he's probably only just worked out how to turn a computer on, let alone how to use Google.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210312-102720_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210312-102720_Chrome.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 76
I just received an email from the club saying that they still don't know how ticketing will work for next week's game. They said they will confirm sometime next week (my guess is Monday or Tuesday).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back