Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Cox has openly said he'd be happy to switch clubs in order to extend his career. I don't think he'd ask for too much.

I don't agree that Chol will be relatively cheap. I can see a few other clubs bidding for him.

You really don't like Fullarton do you lol. Fair enough.

I'm happy to see how he progresses with a third preseason under his belt. With a little bit more bulk & a better idea how to use it, I think he'll start clunking marks. And even if he doesn't he'll be able to mop up his own work and crumb the ball too because he's not out of the contest when the ball hits the deck unlike Cox, Kasboult et al.

Agree on your second point, Chol won't be bargain basement. Based off his one good game of the year against us alone. And CCJ will definitely go for a bit.

I don't hate the idea of Andrews forward with Payne down back. But Harris and Daniher not much pressure on the opposition once it hits the ground.
Surely the most logical player to try as the third forward, if it's not Fullarton, is Lester? Very small sample size, but I thought he was very good when he came on in the final. Presented well on the lead, kicked a nice goal. And when he went back was rock solid in defence so you could still do the Andrews forward switch (which frankly we should try a lot more, not just in the last quarter of the season). McStay also a good option as back-up ruck if Fullarton doesn't play.
Yep, I totally agree on Lester and tbh thought when McStay first went down how great Lester would be as a designated sub considering he can basically plug any hole on the ground rather then Matheson.

Lester is a prime example of a good over head but can still cover the ground well and rove type of player. Would love to secure a more dynamic version of him with maybe a bit more pace but those types don't grow on trees. A guy like Lester could also do a good defensive forward job on strong intercept markers with his experience down back.

You really don't like Fullarton do you lol. Fair enough.

I'm happy to see how he progresses with a third preseason under his belt. With a little bit more bulk & a better idea how to use it, I think he'll start clunking marks. And even if he doesn't he'll be able to mop up his own work and crumb the ball too because he's not out of the contest when the ball hits the deck unlike Cox, Kasboult et al.

Agree on your second point, Chol won't be bargain basement. Based off his one good game of the year against us alone. And CCJ will definitely go for a bit.
Any thoughts about Jonathon Patton? He’d cost less than steak knives.

Someone get Matthew Kreuzer on the phone :)
Think out of the box Bangy, I've seen Clark Keating at the Gabba a few times so obviously still a diehard Lion, he'd be worth a call as well... been in a good paddock though would have to have a huge off season on the track, we could have him cherry ripe for September 2022.

Mason Cox has openly said he'd be happy to switch clubs in order to extend his career. I don't think he'd ask for too much.

I don't agree that Chol will be relatively cheap. I can see a few other clubs bidding for him.

I'm sure a few clubs will look at his services but in terms of a trade, a late second/early third would be about right. Salary wise, probably around 350k-400k but another club may go well over. There are worse options out there.

Big Archie has requested a trade for more opportunity
Wish him all the best with his request. Would be doing us a favour I think. Great bloke and will be missed at the club. Not sure how much interest he will get?

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

now Archie has gone (thanks for your service ) and who knows if Ballenden stays
If Oscar goes down we Fullarton, H Smith and Lane
I actually not minded what I seen out of the few games Lane played

Although still think we get someone in who is older and bigger.
Some might say it is a short term fix.
Be nice if we found a forward who could not get games as behind others.
Someone we pick up and they are not filling in for Hipwood they can make the spot theirs.
Then once Hippy comes back their is a fight for spots..
Be a few talls who jump at 10-15 games straight could turn into our own Ben Keays type :)

Fullarton played 12 games this year for 3 goals and 1 behind and averaged 3.5 hit outs per game from 75% TOG.

I don't have a problem sticking with our current group but to say we should disregard a forward who can ruck is ignoring the state of play. Personally I am expecting Lane and Smith to go past Fullarton at a great rate of knots but if someone wants to come and play and is likely to be useful in that role then I take them.

I'm just looking at filling the need differently though. With a good tap ruck who can potentially go as our No.1 in the middle, we could push Oscar forward. Big O as forward who can ruck would be way better than both Fullarton and Chol. If Lane and Smith develop faster than Fullarton then we win either way.

I'm just looking at filling the need differently though. With a good tap ruck who can potentially go as our No.1 in the middle, we could push Oscar forward. Big O as forward who can ruck would be way better than both Fullarton and Chol. If Lane and Smith develop faster than Fullarton then we win either way.
I really think that if Oscar is fit then he is our number one Ruck.
So if we are looking for anyone, it is for support, so a forward/ruck, not the other way around.

The ruck situation is obviously something weighing on people's minds and looking at the suggestions there's no easy answer.

Fwiiw I haven't given up at all on Fullarton. But if Oscar went down I wouldn't want him as our No 1 ruck next year. I'd also love to keep Ballenden on the list though it's getting very tight.

I think I'll leave it up to our Brains Trust to find out who they can get ,what they'd cost ,or whether they want to roll the dice and hope Oscar stays fit.

There are plenty of clubs with a bit of a squeeze on list spots so it could surprise who bobs up. I thought we might just keep Archie for what he would cost until today. He's obviously had a lot to deal with and let's hope someone picks him up and he gets a fresh start.

The backup ruck situation is a conundrum. The good ruck options will cost at the trade table, take up scarce cap space and hardly be likely to want to move to play backup ruck.

We have three genuine tall forwards, none of whom are particularly good at being a second ruck. That limits the ability to sign a good ruck-forward to play in the best 22.

We are left with getting the next version of Archie Smith (older but limited) or trying to find the next Oscar, who is relatively ready to go and is looking for a chance. Or we roll the dice with what we have.

No perfect solutions. I think people need to drastically lower their expectations in terms of a trade outcome.

The backup ruck situation is a conundrum. The good ruck options will cost at the trade table, take up scarce cap space and hardly be likely to want to move to play backup ruck.

We have three genuine tall forwards, none of whom are particularly good at being a second ruck. That limits the ability to sign a good ruck-forward to play in the best 22.

We are left with getting the next version of Archie Smith (older but limited) or trying to find the next Oscar, who is relatively ready to go and is looking for a chance. Or we roll the dice with what we have.

No perfect solutions. I think people need to drastically lower their expectations in terms of a trade outcome.
I don't mind the idea of getting the best ruck from the sanfl, wafl or vfl... We could end up in the same situation as the suns this year if big o goes down, would be very hard to make top 4 without a decent backup ruck

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back