Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

One issue we have is our defensive game in the middle when we are not winning the contest. A top defensive midfielder Jack Steele averages 8.5 tackles a game, Lachie Neale just 4.1 per game. Zorko and Lyons both average around 6 per game but in our big wins Zorko is usually over 10 tackles and our losses he can be a low as 2.

In the ruck category Grundy averages 4.2 a game, Shane Mumford 4.8 per game where Oscar is 2.2 and Fullerton 1.75 tackles a game.

My view is we need to look at the defensive aspects around our midfield so anyone we look to bring in should have what we are a bit short on, a ruck that can nullify the tap outs but is defensive or a midfielder that may lacking in other areas but is defensive when we need to stop a momentum change.

One issue we have is our defensive game in the middle when we are not winning the contest. A top defensive midfielder Jack Steele averages 8.5 tackles a game, Lachie Neale just 4.1 per game. Zorko and Lyons both average around 6 per game but in our big wins Zorko is usually over 10 tackles and our losses he can be a low as 2.

In the ruck category Grundy averages 4.2 a game, Shane Mumford 4.8 per game where Oscar is 2.2 and Fullerton 1.75 tackles a game.

My view is we need to look at the defensive aspects around our midfield so anyone we look to bring in should have what we are a bit short on, a ruck that can nullify the tap outs but is defensive or a midfielder that may lacking in other areas but is defensive when we need to stop a momentum change.
That's a really good point.

Tackling isn't actually that hard if you train for it and focus on it. The easiest solution would be bringing our players who aren't doing it often enough up to speed .

Of course sometimes you only get the opportunities to do it because the opposition is getting a lot of the ball.

I don't think we need a second ruck.

1. Our current midfield setup gets the ball forward often enough to give us an opportunity to kick goals. I don't think playing Fullarton or Joe or even McStay hurts our midfield that much.

2. Our forwardline is the best in the AFL. I don't want to throw off the structure by playing an immobile ruckman down there.

This is what I'm confused about. If we get a second ruck it would only be as an inury back up to Oscar.

Once Hipwood is back you can't roll with Joe, Macca, Hippy and 2 rucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While that's not necessarily wrong, it's worth noting that in terms of the stars of this year's grand final teams, Petracca only averages 4.1 tackles a game and Oliver only 5.2.

The Bulldogs aren't much different, with Bontempelli averaging 4.8 tackles a game, Liberatore 5.4, and Smith 3.4.

Looking at those stats, our midfield tackling numbers aren't really that far from the norm at all. Not that it isn't worth looking at, but it's not the glaring problem of our midfield group.

While that's not necessarily wrong, it's worth noting that in terms of the stars of this year's grand final teams, Petracca only averages 4.1 tackles a game and Oliver only 5.2.

The Bulldogs aren't much different, with Bontempelli averaging 4.8 tackles a game, Liberatore 5.4, and Smith 3.4.

Looking at those stats, our midfield tackling numbers aren't really that far from the norm at all. Not that it isn't worth looking at, but it's not the glaring problem of our midfield group.

Agree completely.

There is a time and place for everything but do we really want our midfield group spending most of their time racking up big tackling numbers?

If that's happening, the natural corollary is that they are being thrashed at either the hard ball or loose ball gets or maybe even both.

As usual, stats can be manipulated to suit whatever narrative you care to create.

Intuitively, I think that you want a good balance with tackle stats.

Tackle effectively without the ball rather than tackle often and use it well when you have it, rather than over-use it

We had Brown ,Lynch and Bradshaw and 2 rucks.

Maybe the game's changed. Dunno.

Yeah you have to defend now, especially rebounding from defensive 50. I just do not see it personally. Even the 3 tall tall and Oscar set up was debated at the start of the year. We have made our Daniher bed in that regard.

Could bring in an Injury back up though, someone 30+ and not worth much.

Yeah you have to defend now, especially rebounding from defensive 50. I just do not see it personally. Even the 3 tall tall and Oscar set up was debated at the start of the year. We have made our Daniher bed in that regard.

Could bring in an Injury back up though, someone 30+ and not worth much.
I think we've got our forward mix as good as we can get it , especially when Hipwood plays. But we need more defensive efforts from Daniher and Charlie when he's having an off day. Or even on his good days. McStay really improved defensive wise this year .

I don't know why people want to stick Oscar in the forward line. Seems to be on the basis that he kicked a goal or two when he was the second ruck and fresh and able to concentrate on his kicking. Those days are gone imo. He's not that player anymore ,he's a pure ruckman. And it would make our forward line far too top heavy.

McCluggage 3.7, Mathieson 2.6, Berry 3, Bailey 2.8 My point was as a collective group we are the best offensive team in the league, supposedly, but when a momentum swing comes we can't flip into defensive mode. Remember all the speculation about why the Suns let Lyons go and his lack of 2 way running, well right now we seem to have that through our midfield. Yes we can improve those we have and Zorko himself has massive swing from 12 tackles one week to just 2 or 3 another. If we use a "money ball" type theory we can get a lower level ruckman, $ cheaper, that could help in the defensive areas rather than one where we are focusing on their forward work. We could get a midfielder that is being tossed because they don't kick enough goals but tackles like a machine.

Let's not add to our problem and not recognise there is an issue, knowing your weakness becomes a strength.

Just need to find the next Hickey from scrapheap as cover for a year or two.

I wonder if Sinclair or Ceglar might be a chance.
I suspect Sinclair would be a chance if you were interested. Think I read there had been interest from elsewhere and we weren't rushing to re-sign him. Granted, he'd probably be in the exact same position as he's in at the moment at the Lions, unless we think McLean or Amartey (both admittedly undersized and probably more suited to pinch-hitting) would overtake him next year.

McCluggage 3.7, Mathieson 2.6, Berry 3, Bailey 2.8 My point was as a collective group we are the best offensive team in the league, supposedly, but when a momentum swing comes we can't flip into defensive mode. Remember all the speculation about why the Suns let Lyons go and his lack of 2 way running, well right now we seem to have that through our midfield. Yes we can improve those we have and Zorko himself has massive swing from 12 tackles one week to just 2 or 3 another. If we use a "money ball" type theory we can get a lower level ruckman, $ cheaper, that could help in the defensive areas rather than one where we are focusing on their forward work. We could get a midfielder that is being tossed because they don't kick enough goals but tackles like a machine.

Let's not add to our problem and not recognise there is an issue, knowing your weakness becomes a strength.

The tackle count is a fairly limiting metric to determine the defensive capability of the players. From what I have seen, its our ability to cover the spread against quick teams that is a bigger issue and we will often have multiple players getting sucked into the contest. When playing teams like the dogs and dees who can move it very quickly from a stoppage by hand, this is where we are very vulnerable.

Part of that is coaching and the other more important issue I feel is getting more speed onto the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back