Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be surprised if something does go down though, wouldn't be surprised at all. It will be interesting to see if we are involved in any other trades in the lead up to that last half hour.

Damien suggesting in his "if n then"column on AFL.com that Neale to Freeo is not over and could happen in the dying minutes of the trade period.....interesting.

The statement from Neale made sense to take the media pressure (social and mainstream) off him and his wife. I won't be fully convinced he's staying until after the trade period ends.

It would not shock me if something happens.

With Ashcroft next year it makes a trade next year exceptionally unlikely given the picks would be basically worthless. So if he has flagged that he still might want to go back then something happening this year would not be a surprise as this is when value could be gained.

The only way it happens now is if the offer is too good to refuse. That won't happen. Let's move on.

Yep, Neale is not going to ask for it again unless Fremantle are 110% confident of getting it done. We'll be interested only if its heavily favored in our way. I don't see both of these working together. So this is just Damo throwing darts as usual.

Hi guys, what’s wrong with Brock Smith? I remember he was highly touted as a junior.

He is a nice mover and I think generally a good defensive player although he struggled a bit when forced to play on big forwards later in the year.

The main issue for me is his disposal skills. He looks great (a lot like Hanley actually) but he misses way too many targets and his decision making it below what it should be.

He is unlucky in that his development has really been impacted by CoVid and even this year when there were games he did not get to play in his preferred position. He has also been unlucky with the reduction in list sizes and the numbers of guys already contracted. He just looks the most obvious delisting unfortunately.

The fact someone pays Barrett to write that column surprises me almost as much as anyone who reads it.

Not to mention that despite roughly 10 years of writing that column and he still doesn't understand the central plot device of Sliding Doors!

Damien suggesting in his "if n then"column on AFL.com that Neale to Freeo is not over and could happen in the dying minutes of the trade period.....interesting.
Ryan Daniels who broke the story in the first place said the same thing on the Hard Ball Gets podcast this week too. But it didn’t come from any knowledge of it actually being a possibility just that he wouldn’t be surprised.
Damien probably listened to the show and just wants to stir up shit.

FWIW Ryan Daniels mentioned in his podcast that he wouldn't be shocked if the Neale situation was quietly revisited at the end of trade period. But he said he will be staying away from it and not report on it.
I very much doubt that it will be revisited in a quiet manner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a nice mover and I think generally a good defensive player although he struggled a bit when forced to play on big forwards later in the year.

The main issue for me is his disposal skills. He looks great (a lot like Hanley actually) but he misses way too many targets and his decision making it below what it should be.

He is unlucky in that his development has really been impacted by CoVid and even this year when there were games he did not get to play in his preferred position. He has also been unlucky with the reduction in list sizes and the numbers of guys already contracted. He just looks the most obvious delisting unfortunately.

That’s interesting. Im a big believer in that you can train players to take safer options. The hard stuff is the intercepting and defending your opponent.

Hopefully his kicking isn’t horrid. I wouldn’t mind the pies rooking him, if delisted by the Lions.

That’s interesting. Im a big believer in that you can train players to take safer options. The hard stuff is the intercepting and defending your opponent.

Hopefully his kicking isn’t horrid. I wouldn’t mind the pies rooking him, if delisted by the Lions.

Early in the year it looked like he had been working on his kicking a lot and I was impressed for the first couple of games. It did seem to regress over the year though as injuries hit and the VFL team got worse across the board. In the back half of the year his kicking was very ordinary.

The statement from Neale made sense to take the media pressure (social and mainstream) off him and his wife. I won't be fully convinced he's staying until after the trade period ends.

IF he still had a desire to move this would make sense. Do everything quietly in the background without the intense pressure.

The fact someone pays Barrett to write that column surprises me almost as much as anyone who reads it.
Like any reporter they know how to get 'clicks' and people reading their articles mean advertising $ for their sponsors. The Neale story will continue to have interest for 2 years at least and he knows if he drags that 'old chestnut' out everyone and then he gets readers.

The only way I could see a Lachie Neale trade happening now is if it's an unbelievably good offer eg. The Dockers come to the Lions late and say we'll give you Andrew Brayshaw and pick 8 for Lachie.

The only way I could see a Lachie Neale trade happening now is if it's an unbelievably good offer eg. The Dockers come to the Lions late and say we'll give you Andrew Brayshaw and pick 8 for Lachie.
Nah.

Neale to Dockers, Cerra to Melbourne, Jackson to the Lions.

Lightning quick? Pin point kicking? First round pick but career ruined by injuries so far and delisted now?

You sound like our kind of player - come on down for a rookie pick Matthew Ling.

No basis but for some reason I was thinking along these lines with Neale. Is it a smokescreen to make Fremantle cough up more as they know he wants to go home but also wants to stay at the lions. If he is wanting home, and being a new parent next year that desire will grow, and if it’s this year or next this year is more beneficial to the club one would think. But it’s not something our current administration is known for they usually seem like pretty straight shooters and the team is better with Neale in it so hopefully it is all straight ahead go and Lachie lines up for us next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back