Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My mate's son played with Samson at Sherwood in Brisbane. He is a very talented athlete, went to school up in Toowoomba so had very little competitive AFL at any level and might have easily gone to cricket which he was exceptional at also. Then back in Brisbane he was playing QAFL not NEAFL so he is coming from a long way back. If recruiters look for character, dedication, multi-talented sports people then it's him. In reality most people were surprised when Collingwood drafted him but don't underestimate the kid with a bit of time.
Richmond.

Liam McBean could be interesting,good mates with Daniher.

Its fine though because Kingy gets access to the champion data stats and brings us genius insights like this:

Some people say they like King's analysis. What they're actually liking is the analysis Champion Data give to him to regurgitate. I'm assuming Montagna is in the same boat.

When he makes his own stuff up... well, let's agree that it usually isn't quite as good in quality.

I am a bit unfamiliar with the limitation on draft picks going into the year linked with list spots but if we only need 3 picks could we try to pick up another later pick and then trade 4 of them to Collingwood for their future 2nd as they are so down on points for daicos? If my calculations are correct our current 4 later picks are worth 766 and if they came last of second last next year their 2nd rounder would be worth about 900 but they need them this year and we need them next. Just a thought. We may even be able to ontrade it next year for more points.

Any chance of us getting Samson Ryan? Remember him being ex academy. Watched him destroy us in the VFL this year and couldn’t believe we didn’t take a punt on him. I think he is out of contract
I would classify him as similarly advanced or raw as Smith and Lane.

Some people say they like King's analysis. What they're actually liking is the analysis Champion Data give to him to regurgitate. I'm assuming Montagna is in the same boat.

When he makes his own stuff up... well, let's agree that it usually isn't quite as good in quality.
This is one of the most frustrating things about afl. Just give me the dam stats so I can do my own analysis instead of letting these idiots ramble on about nothing.

I am a bit unfamiliar with the limitation on draft picks going into the year linked with list spots but if we only need 3 picks could we try to pick up another later pick and then trade 4 of them to Collingwood for their future 2nd as they are so down on points for daicos? If my calculations are correct our current 4 later picks are worth 766 and if they came last of second last next year their 2nd rounder would be worth about 900 but they need them this year and we need them next. Just a thought. We may even be able to ontrade it next year for more points.
The main rule for matching is that Collingwood can only take the same amount of picks to the draft as they have available list spots.

So if they have four available list spots, then they can only take four picks to the draft.

Our third round picks might have some trade currency, but I doubt our fourth round picks will have much trade currency purely as picks for teams looking for points.

There will be quite a few teams with better picks than ours looking to trade them for future picks.

Richmond might have 2 or 3 picks inside our pick 47 to trade.

If I was another team, I wouldn’t be trading for fourth round picks from teams that won’t use them.

One week before the draft, the final draft order is set. Teams that have picks that they won’t use, lose those picks, and teams with later picks watch their late picks move up the order.

A simple example could be the Western Bulldogs, their second pick is 72 and third pick is 90. Last year saw only 59 picks in the draft. So as all the picks that won’t be used get taken out, the Bulldogs two late picks move up to picks 58 and 59.

I wouldn’t be trading for any picks in the 50’s if I know that teams that can’t use their excess picks, will simply have those picks removed from the draft order.

Last edited:
The main rule for matching is that Collingwood can only take the same amount of picks to the draft as they have available list spots.

So if they have four available list spots, then they can only take four picks to the draft.

Our third round picks might have some trade currency, but I doubt our fourth round picks will have much trade currency purely as picks for teams looking for points.

There will be quite a few teams with better picks than ours looking to trade them for future picks.

Richmond might have 2 or 3 picks inside our pick 47 to trade to trade.

If I was another team, I wouldn’t be trading for fourth round picks from teams that won’t use them.

One week before the draft, the final draft order is set. Teams that have picks that they won’t use, lose those picks, and teams with later picks watch their late picks move up the order.

A simple example could be the Western Bulldogs, their second pick is 72 and third pick is 90. Last year saw only 59 picks in the draft. So as all the picks that won’t be used get taken out, the Bulldogs two late picks move up to picks 58 and 59.

I wouldn’t be trading for any picks in the 50’s if I know that team can’t use the pick, and it will simply be removed from the draft order.

thanks Briztoon that makes a lot more sense and you are right others have a lot more draft capital than we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone who i have always liked and think worth looking at- Will Brodie, Out of contract next season would cost a 3rd Rounder, 189cm big body mid dominated VFL this year. Thoughts?

For Brodie it'll end up like a move from Gold coast 2s to our 2s which even he shouldn't consider.

He'll be competing with CEY to be honest.

The recruitment of Lane just perplexes me unless we thought he was close to being able to handle himself ok at AFL level.

If we keep him on the list I don't think we'll recruit another ruck.

I've put it down as club thinking we need a ruck, we didn't like the mature options in mid-season draft, ok let's at least select a project ruck so we are covered long term.

We took Lane when having Archie, Fullarton and HSmith. Since Archie's out now I think we'll have another go at a mature replacement.

Interesting... Adam Treloar's partner re-signs for a further 2 years.

Damien suggesting in his "if n then"column on AFL.com that Neale to Freeo is not over and could happen in the dying minutes of the trade period.....interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back