Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

(1)
Exactly.
Is their anyone recently that was going into their 11th season of AFL grind that has moved interstate for the reported $120 k + incentives

Without bothering to look up conclusive examples, plenty of oldies were delisted/retired and then came back elsewhere...

Vardy went to Eagles.
Petrie went to Eagles.
James McDonald went to GWS.
Stevie J went to GWS.
Hodge came to the Lions.
Birchall came to the Lions.

Probably more too but that's just the ones I can think of. It's not like player wages are public so I'm not about to address the $120k angle. Either he comes or he doesn't - I'm not too fussed about that angle.

Anyone writing for AFL.com has access to the league’s figure, etc.

Not true. The AFL.com.au department are at arms length from the actual decision making/number crunching. They're less likely to put up wrong figures if putting out concrete figures but they are equally likely to be reporting based off other reported statements. There's a substantial conflict of interest in AFL.com.au being able to publicise figures that the actual league wants to be kept private.

With regards to Levi - can anyone remember the age and circumstances involved in Ben Hudson coming to the Lions...was that a similar scenario to what Levi would be offering?

The thing with Fullarton he is young although played a lot of footy as a junior then went to Basketball
Not he only played basketball and came to Footy late in life like others

For a Forward/Ruck I want him to be able to compete in the ruck, take a big grab and be reliable as shot at goal.
Not sure he excels at any of the three above. Good when ball hits the ground and nice hands.
Although not a big mark and does not kick many goals even in VFL
in 8 VFL games kicked 5-14 best was 3.3, 1.2, 1.1, 0.3, 0.2, 0.2 and 0.1.
In AFL 12 games hit the scoreboard 4 times 3 one goal games and one point game

Compare that with other forwards we have when they started
Oscars stats
Or McStay
Or hipwood

He had a few games now.. Hopefully a presason he steps up more

Otherwise yes Levi or someone be a good stop gap

Last edited:
With regards to Levi - can anyone remember the age and circumstances involved in Ben Hudson coming to the Lions...was that a similar scenario to what Levi would be offering?
I think the main difference is Hudson was a genuine ruck whereas Casboult never has been, just a pinch-hitter. Also Hudson wasn't coming into a contending team. I'm not on the get Levi in train but it seems there is at least a little bit of interest from the club.

Without bothering to look up conclusive examples, plenty of oldies were delisted/retired and then came back elsewhere...

Vardy went to Eagles.
Petrie went to Eagles.
James McDonald went to GWS.
Stevie J went to GWS.
Hodge came to the Lions.
Birchall came to the Lions.

Probably more too but that's just the ones I can think of. It's not like player wages are public so I'm not about to address the $120k angle. Either he comes or he doesn't - I'm not too fussed about that angle.
But that is not answering the basic question that started the conversation
Did they go for $120K + incentives
I doubt very much that the Lions 2 of Hodge & Birchall were on that basic money
I imagine all the others mentioned fall into that category too

I said a week or so ago that we could do worse than Levi, on the proviso he is over that knee issue of course.

With our “bomb it long down the line and reload” game plan that we run with, someone who can take contested marks certainly would not go astray, especially until Eric gets back.

He won’t be in the team to kick bags of goals, just compete and bring the ball to ground, and take the odd contested mark or two, something which Fullerton cannot do right now, but is something he will hopefully work on over the off season.

If we are bringing him in as back up ruck however, I’m not sure I’m as keen on that idea. I think if Oscar goes down and we are effectively relying on either a kid (Smith/Lane) or a key forward (Levi/Fullerton) play that role than we could be in trouble.

Last edited:
With our “bomb it long down the line and reload” game plan that we run with, someone who can take contested marks certainly would not go astray, especially until Eric gets back.
Joe and Fullarton both do not bring the ball to the ground from a contest.
So we lacked that when Hippy did his knee
We missed McStay doing that early as well.

yes we where the top scoring team, although we also heavily scored against on rebound 50.
I not sure where you find stats on intercept marks in forward 50 as well
I say we high on that as well

I would play/trial Payne over both.
Where has Payne rucked before? I don't recall him ever playing ruck in the NEAFL or VFL.

I just don't want to add a 32 year old Carlton reject over a kid thrown into a role he was not quite ready for yet
Their should be improvement in Fullarton.
What makes you so sure he will be quite ready for it? I have an alternative suggestion, how about instead of handing a role to Fullarton that he hasn't yet earned by merit, we sign someone for him to compete with, and if Fullarton is clearly head and shoulders above his competition, then he gets to start regularly?

An aging Casboult could go backwards on his 2021 form that was not great anyhow
He could also have a year of good health and give us the competent second ruck we need.

I would prefer for us to show some interest in Max Lynch reportable gettable for $250 k + incentives
That would be nice. But how are you proposing we free up the cap space we need to sign someone for twice the money Casboult will go for?

He could also have a year of good health and give us the competent second ruck we need.
How much ruck time will this second ruck get? And how big a difference will it actually make? Also Casboult will still be a below average ruck so it's not like he's going to give us an advantage in there. I also think Fullarton has the ability to get to more contests around the ground that someone like Casboult can't.

I believe a lot of posters are missing the point.

Casboult would not be signed to replace Fullerton in the best 22, so it’s not a Casboult versus Fullerton discussion.

He would be signed as a short term, one year reserve, who could come in to the team if there are further injuries to Oscar or our forwards.

We’re going to be missing Hipwood for most, or possibly all of next season. We are short on genuine experienced KPF depth.

Casboult would not be signed to replace Fullerton in the best 22, so it’s not a Casboult versus Fullerton discussion.

He would be signed as a short term, one year reserve, who could come in to the team if there are further injuries to Oscar or our forwards.

We’re going to be missing Hipwood for most, or possibly all of next season. We are short on genuine experienced KPF depth.

How many posters didn't deduce that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He won’t be in the team to kick bags of goals, just compete and bring the ball to ground

I SWEAR we said this about Levi as well all the way back in 2016ish when he was raised as a trade target.

Truely full circle

Where has Payne rucked before? I don't recall him ever playing ruck in the NEAFL or VFL.

What makes you so sure he will be quite ready for it? I have an alternative suggestion, how about instead of handing a role to Fullarton that he hasn't yet earned by merit, we sign someone for him to compete with, and if Fullarton is clearly head and shoulders above his competition, then he gets to start regularly?

That would be nice. But how are you proposing we free up the cap space we need to sign someone for twice the money Casboult will go for?
I am sure i have answered all those questions
Just like you, me, and any one else on this forum we have no idea what the club has in mind
One thing i do know is the coaches preferred to play Fullarton this year
We have some options to play the 3rd tall forward. They may not be ideal but they at least know the game plan and players
We don't have a ruck to replace Oscar
That's what i hope the recruiting staff are looking for within our salary cap space
The club will free up cap space with delisting's and get someone on their recruitment wish list to join the Lions

If we're bringing him in as depth in case Oscar gets injured I'm even more against it.

If we're bringing him in as depth in case Oscar gets injured I'm even more against it.
Fullarton plays ruck, Casboult goes in to the forward line. I feel like I need an eye roll emoji here.

We’re capped out, looking for a one year, minimum salary rental, shopping in the KPP bargain bin.

Who else is going to move states for one year on AFL minimum wage?

Fullarton plays ruck, Casboult goes in to the forward line. I feel like I need an eye roll emoji here.

We’re capped out, looking for a one year, minimum salary rental, shopping in the KPP bargain bin.

And I'm not a fan of Casboult in the forward line either, would honestly rather give Lane a go or even McFayden a chance to play third tall. It just comes down to me not rating him enough to take a list spot even if it is for the minimum.

And I'm not a fan of Casboult in the forward line either, would honestly rather give Lane a go or even McFayden a chance to play third tall. It just comes down to me not rating him enough to take a list spot even if it is for the minimum.

Casboult is proven for the role we nee at AFL level and he'd be on a 1 year contract.

There's no risk.

Probably nobody including Casboult

Hopefully GC offer him 130k plus match payments which we just can’t compete with.😕
Discussion over!

GC would need to offer $100k more. A journeyman with a final chance doesn't pick a developing team over a finals one unless he's ******ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back