Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fullarton gets a bad rap on hear by a lot of posters
He is young and stepped into a role he was not quite ready for
Next year more improvement from him. The coaches see something to work with.
I quoted some stats in a previous post. Not much between them considering games experience between the two
Some other stat totals with Levi having played 1 more game than Tom in 2021

Effective disposals Levi 60, Tom 85
Pressure acts...... Levi 105, Tom 154
Turnovers........... Levi 40, Tom 30
Ground ball Gets. Levi 22, Tom 46
Clangers............ Levi 41, Tom 17
Spoils................ Levi 18, Tom 13
Contested marks. Levi 17, Tom 5
Contested Poss... Levi 62, Tom 59

That's a pretty selective use of stats. Levi does present quite favourably against Fullo in some other aspects, particularly some which are important for forwards.

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 11.52.41 am.png

I have nothing against Tom and think he has a great base to work with but presently I think he has some aspects, particularly in forward craft that need improvement. Throw in that he's simply far from ready to be able to hold a number one ruck role should Oscar go down and Casboult makes a lot sense for us imo.

The Carlton reject tag doesn’t fit, if they were in the hunt he would be there. Doesn’t fit where they are at.

Whatever Carlton does, do the opposite. If they delisted Casboult then by all rights we should recruit him.

I understand Rory Lobb could be interested in leaving Freeo.........would it be a disaster if we did a swap with Neale in last 90 mins of the draft period......plus a little sweetner for us. Feather in the cap for Damo ;)

I understand Rory Lobb could be interested in leaving Freeo.........would it be a disaster if we did a swap with Neale in last 90 mins of the draft period......plus a little sweetner for us. Feather in the cap for Damo ;)
Would need to be one hell of a sweetener.

Brayshaw.
I was just listening to a podcast where they were thinking(extrememly unlikely tho) Dees very keen to get Cerra and Melb version of Brayshaw could want to go home to WA to Freeo. Ironic if Freeo Brayshaw came to us. I could say say stranger things have happened......but they havent.

That's a pretty selective use of stats. Levi does present quite favourably against Fullo in some other aspects, particularly some which are important for forwards.

View attachment 1238940

I have nothing against Tom and think he has a great base to work with but presently I think he has some aspects, particularly in forward craft that need improvement. Throw in that he's simply far from ready to be able to hold a number one ruck role should Oscar go down and Casboult makes a lot sense for us imo.
Yes they are selective as they were in addition to what i supplied in an earlier post
Your list does not include Pressure Acts, Spoils, 1%, Turnovers & Ground Ball Gets all important to coaches
Even those supplied by you don't really give Levi much over Tom considering their total games experience 154 games to only 14

I would prefer for us to show some interest in Max Lynch reportable gettable for $250 k + incentives
But once again that is just media talk. He could resign with the Pies or someone else
Also i have previously stated Payne to get first trial at that role of R/F.
That saves an important list spot for someone else

Yes they are selective as they were in addition to what i supplied in an earlier post
Your list does not include Pressure Acts, Spoils, 1%, Turnovers & Ground Ball Gets all important to coaches
Even those supplied by you don't really give Levi much over Tom considering their total games experience 154 games to only 14

I dunno. It shows he tooks twice as many marks, a contested mark per game more and double the hitouts. Pretty important stats for a 3rd KF/Ruck.

I would prefer for us to show some interest in Max Lynch reportable gettable for $250 k + incentives
But once again that is just media talk. He could resign with the Pies or someone else
Also i have previously stated Payne to get first trial at that role of R/F.
That saves an important list spot for someone else

I think he's too similar to developing players already on our list, doesn't present as being significantly better long term and doesn't have any proven track record of playing no 1 ruck at AFL level which is what we'd ideally want if we were bringing in a back up ruck with no forward craft.

No way anyone moves interstate especially Victoria for a $120 K + incentives contract

AFL footballers do that all the time, e.g. rookies and draftees...

I just think some better options will present itself to take a list spot we are short on

I OTOH am not holding my breath at that price point.

Lobb is on 700k per year at freo currently. No thank you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno. It shows he tooks twice as many marks, a contested mark per game more and double the hitouts. Pretty important stats for a 3rd KF/Ruck.

I think he's too similar to developing players already on our list, doesn't present as being significantly better long term and doesn't have any proven track record of playing no 1 ruck at AFL level which is what we'd ideally want if we were bringing in a back up ruck with no forward craft.
(1)
I don't see Tom bridging the gap in contested marks but would not take much to bridge the H/O from 6.1 to 3.5 both low of course
Once again i prefer Payne to have a trial as F/R. Also have Daniher if Payne is hopeless as a ruck
(2)
Lynch has been on the Pies list since start of 2017
So been learning his trade against one of the best rucks in the competition during that time
Lynch is 23 years of age to Henry Smith turning 19 in a weeks time. Lane also 19 so not similar really to Lynch
Also held his own against Gawn in the Pies win over Melbourne this rear.
He actually had more H/O to Gawn and some other reasonable stats to go with that

Last edited:
AFL footballers do that all the time, e.g. rookies and draftees...

I OTOH am not holding my breath at that price point.
(1)
Exactly.
Is their anyone recently that was going into their 11th season of AFL grind that has moved interstate for the reported $120 k + incentives
(2)
Agree but stranger things have happened during trade week

Lynch has been on the Pies list since start of 2017
So been learning his trade against one of the best rucks in the competition during that time
Did he do that during his three senior games?

Lynch is 23 years of age to Henry Smith turning 19 in a weeks time. Lane also 19 so not similar really to Lynch
I wasn't referencing age specifically.

Also held his own against Gawn in the Pies win over Melbourne this rear.
He actually had more H/O to Gawn and some other reasonable stats to go with that
Yeah, he wasn't bad. Why was he dropped the next week?

Once hippy is back, where does he play? is he in the ressies? Who out of McStay, Oscar, Hippy, Joe makes way for him on 600k a year?

Wants to go to Melbourne as that’s where his missus has a job.

120k plus match payments, Casboult is a worthwhile option to support us until Hipwood comes back. He would fit immediately into our 22. Fullarton was non competitive. We need a mature option. We aren't looking for a match winner, just someone that will break even. BTW he comes for 120k and plays 10 games, he picks up 170k for the year. The average Australian wage is about 95k per year. Wouldn't imagine too many mid to bottom range AFL players would walk into a post AFL career job paying that much.

Did he do that during his three senior games?

I wasn't referencing age specifically.

Yeah, he wasn't bad. Why was he dropped the next week?
Lynch played in R 13 and is not going to play instead of Grundy. Of course he was dropped in favor of Grundy in R 15
R 14 Pies had a bye

Lynch played in R 13 and is not going to play instead of Grundy. Of course he was dropped in favor of Grundy in R 15
R 14 Pies had a bye

He'd honestly be a worthwhile acquisition and is definitely an upgrade on Archie in the emergency ruck category, however I'm not sure he's a list fit. Would he be willing to come to Queensland to be a back for the same money as Casboult? No. He'll be looking for a spot where he can take the next step. We don't have that. We have developing rucks which is essentially what he'd be. We need a buster who's willing to be back up and take up no 1 role in an emergency and our cap means they need to do it for minimal rates. Levi can do that and with his skill set he can potentially be a part of the 22 until Hipwood is ready, potentially beyond, until 2023 anyway.

120k plus match payments, Casboult is a worthwhile option to support us until Hipwood comes back. He would fit immediately into our 22. Fullarton was non competitive. We need a mature option. We aren't looking for a match winner, just someone that will break even. BTW he comes for 120k and plays 10 games, he picks up 170k for the year. The average Australian wage is about 95k per year. Wouldn't imagine too many mid to bottom range AFL players would walk into a post AFL career job paying that much.
WOW! Times have changed, my first job I was on $60 a week and I thought I was doing well, pots were 60 cents at the Railway Hotel in Brisbane City though and a few years later first home cost $42,000.

abe-simpson-abe-simpson-cloud.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2021 trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back