Women's Footy 2022-2023 AFLW season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a by product of too many teams and nowhere near enough talent to go around.... there will be even more scores like there was last season, I don't watch it but if IIRC there were some games where teams were beaten by 10+ goals and struggled to even kick a single goal in reply.

Ten years ago girls had to stop playing in the mixed teams at u14. There were very few girls team options.

I know our local club had 12-14 yo playing u16 if they could find enough numbers. Otherwise it was women's.

So no real development pathway and no congo line of competent players.

Ridiculous decision to rush the expansion.

All it does is make women's sport look bad and give the knockers ammunition.

I figure the late joining clubs got scared they were missing out on revenue, and the AFL didn't defend the integrity of women's sport. Pathetic.

Extremely disappointing. Hopefully the competition can survive this gross mismanagement.

I figure the late joining clubs got scared they were missing out on revenue, and the AFL didn't defend the integrity of women's sport. Pathetic.
From everything I read, the AFL basically forced the clubs to get on board. I haven't heard of any club viewing their women's team as a revenue generator.

From everything I read, the AFL basically forced the clubs to get on board. I haven't heard of any club team as a revenue generator.

There is a reason they have pushed the expansion - and there has to be dollars somewhere. They certainly aren't doing it to support women's sport.

There is a reason they have pushed the expansion - and there has to be dollars somewhere. They certainly aren't doing it to support women's sport.
The AFL have a long term view of $$$ down the track. It's an investment, not immediate returns. It's the same reason GC and GWS (especially them) are still a thing.

The AFL have a long term view of $$$ down the track. It's an investment, not immediate returns. It's the same reason GC and GWS (especially them) are still a thing.

Stop trying to talk me out of my about snit. It's ruining my cranky pants vibe.

Stop trying to talk me out of my about snit. It's ruining my cranky pants vibe.
167833.jpg

From everything I read, the AFL basically forced the clubs to get on board. I haven't heard of any club viewing their women's team as a revenue generator.
Nah it was actually the opposite. The AFL wanted to consolidate the comp but were basically bullied by the expansion clubs, who after years of indifference suddenly decided they had to have their clubs included.

Kennett recently said it would be "discrimination of the worst kind" if the Hawks were not given an AFLW team for season 2022.

All the expansion clubs were going on like this, painting the AFL as being "against woman's football" if they weren't let in straight away.

Neither Hodder or Dawes mentioned in this article in the 19 that have resigned. Though if you go to the article on the Lions app it does have a photo of Dawes amongst 3 other players at the top which is a little misleading.

This is the last paragraph of the article.

“We're looking forward to more signing announcements over the next week and are excited about the new players we intend to add to our group."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the last paragraph of the article.

“We're looking forward to more signing announcements over the next week and are excited about the new players we intend to add to our group."

Yes there’s hope yet. And losing some of our top tier players means a bit more money to go around for the rest of the team.

Couldn't have been much worse

Based on previous compensation? Pick 40 is better than any other compensation we've received so far for lost players. It took us losing EIGHT PLAYERS to get pick 20 back in 2019.

The compensation for losing women in the psp period will mean almost nothing to us, because they’ll be picks in the end of year draft, where we get first choice on our academy players anyway.

But if we can convince any Vic based women to nominate Brisbane in a trade, then picks might come in handy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back