Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a theory...

It's all a 'work'. For non-wrestling fans that means it's all been organised to go down this way.

Why?

Well it may explain why the new draftees are being made to stand and watch drills from the side. They're been given an example of what it's going to take to break into this team. The unsociable Hawks are back!

Good chance none of that is true.
I’m all in!!!

There was some gritted teeth and menacing faces, a few expletives and some arms and elbows being pushed up into teammates faces as they rolled around on the deck. Nothing too crazy or violent, but certainly quite spirited.
This was something I remember either Hodgey or Sam saying about the peak years. They never feared any club because they knew they'd always played harder against each other at practice than any other team would on game day.

This was something I remember either Hodgey or Sam saying about the peak years. They never feared any club because they knew they'd always played harder against each other at practice than any other team would on game day.
Sounds like something one of the players from a Kennedy coached team would say.

A classic moment from today's training. In one of the drills two teams about 6 to 8 in a team have to take from one end to the other to score. Jai has the ball gets tackled the ball spills. Sic sees the ball rushes and picks it up jai recovers to tackle him. Sic just shrugs him off and looks over his shoulder at Jai as he strides away with the ball. I could here Sic thinking... 'You're gonna have to do much better than that pal to pull me down.

Classic Arctic Park weather today with the rain and drizzle every 10 minutes making things interesting for those watching on.

The good news is that the “managed” group had only 3 players in it for the most part. Mitchell, Morrison and Butler. All running laps at a good pace later in the session after doing sprint and handball drills earlier, so no major concerns from what I could tell.

Sam asked the track watchers who we liked before he himself put Cooper Stephens name forward as someone who is looking very sharp. Interesting.

There were some interesting tussles today in the competitive handball drills that were being played like union with a mini baskatball, with Blanck and Moore getting into each other on the deck, pushing each others faces into the turf before Day came in and decided to fly the flag for Blanck who took the opportunity to get up and take off after the ball.
The emphasis was on continual movement, breaking lines.

These drills were quite combative, with Punky and Newk also tangling, Hardwick and Punky, Sic and Newk, Newk and anyone.
It was good to see the boys cracking into to each other and trying to really get their ascendency on their pink or no-singlet opposition and make them earn it. At one point Punk looked to get up a bit shakey after being creamed by Blanck in a contest for a ground ball.

CJ, Nash and Day all had different moments that were impressive enough to get some praise from Hickmott and Sam. CJ’s dash and dare brought others into the handball game and opened up paths for others to run. Chad also looked quite sharp in these drills along with Amon and Jars, and I have no doubt these three will look for each other out there, as they did today.
Lewis, Sic and Punky stepped straight into the first session like they’d been with the group for weeks. Lewis looks like he’s super fit at the moment, and is not the bulky behemoth he was at this stage last summer.

There was quite a few groups splitting up today, with drills happening at either end and a group in the middle. The draftees were kept away from the more combative stuff for a lot of the time I was there. I focused mostly on what was right in front of me, but at one end there were forwards opposed to defenders working the ball at the top of the square, while at the other end our talk and leading forwards were completing drills that were involving competing on the lead, contesting a ball once he hits the deck and trying to score.

Stoppage drills took place on the wing with Lynch opposed to Meek while Hickmott threw the balls in. Meek was hard to move off the drop of the ball, but Lynch won his fair share and was also involved well when the ball hit the deck.
The mid groups alternated, but Weddle, Frenchy were in there with Sugar, Worp, Newk, Finn, Long, Amon, CMac, Nash, etc.
Frenchy is a smooth mover who is very impressive with his hands. He and Amon linked up quite a few times in their group. Finn, Sugar and Long did a heap of work in close, taking tackles and delivering outside to their teammates. Longs’ ability to land front and centre of the ruck tap and then be an immovable object once the ball was there to be won made hard work for any opposing mids. Newk was also the bull that we expect him to be in these contests.

There was a lot of banter and drive within the group today, and quite a bit of fire when the ball was there to be won. I can see the voice of players who maybe didn’t say much 12 months ago has really grown within the group, and they’re pushing others along.

I couldn’t answer Sam when he asked who was impressing the most, and I think that’s probably a good thing.

olsen-twins-thank-you.gif

A classic moment from today's training. In one of the drills two teams about 6 to 8 in a team have to take from one end to the other to score. Jai has the ball gets tackled the ball spills. Sic sees the ball rushes and picks it up jai recovers to tackle him. Sic just shrugs him off and looks over his shoulder at Jai as he strides away with the ball. I could here Sic thinking... 'You're gonna have to do much better than that pal to pull me down.
Give jai an inch he will take a mile, sic still the king for the time being, he will be the best defender next year by the length of the Flemington straight

I realise you've probably got your tongue firmly in your cheek when you say that but I wish people would stop pining for Harley Reid.

Wins on the board in 2023 will do immeasurably more for the development of our young team than the future addition of any one player - no matter how good that player might turn out to be.

In other words, the downside of finishing last on the ladder, in terms of the negative impact that'll have on the confidence of our youngsters, would be a lot worse than any compensatory future upside in recruiting Reid.

I'm confident we won't go backwards compared to 2022.
As much as I would love Reid, I agree. We'll finish around 10th.

I know it’s still early in the pre season but a couple of questions for the track watches.

Has anyone been invited down to train with us yet? Any Box Hill lads?

Key positions forwards look a bit thin, has any of the regular backs been spending time with the forward group? Jeka, Scrimshaw seem most logical.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
I know it’s still early in the pre season but a couple of questions for the track watches.

Has anyone been invited down to train with us yet? Any Box Hill lads?

Key positions forwards look a bit thin, has any of the regular backs been spending time with the forward group? Jeka, Scrimshaw seem most logical.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Callum Brown and Patrick Naish
Cal Porter and Liam Coghlan

Scrimshaw could be huge for us up fwd... But we also have Jeka and Fergus. I really hope Kosi makes it.

Not sure.. Was Kosi playing injured last year???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scrimshaw could be huge for us up fwd... But we also have Jeka and Fergus. I really hope Kosi makes it.

Not sure.. Was Kosi playing injured last year???
I want to see Scrimshaw as a midfielder or HBF.

Greene will be our forward until we have a permanent replacement.

Jeka will need to try and make it as a defender this year, i think he's going to need to show a lot to stay on the list.

I like Kosi, just not sure he's got enough to make it.

I want to see Scrimshaw as a midfielder or HBF.

Greene will be our forward until we have a permanent replacement.

Jeka will need to try and make it as a defender this year, i think he's going to need to show a lot to stay on the list.

I like Kosi, just not sure he's got enough to make it.
Jeka has played about 7 or 8 games. We were very patient with Mitch Lewis and it's paid off. Why the impatience now??

Plus who do we have to replace either Jeka or Kosi ???

Jeka has played about 7 or 8 games. We were very patient with Mitch Lewis and it's paid off. Why the impatience now??

Plus who do we have to replace either Jeka or Kosi ???
Lewis showed a lot more than Jeka.

Jeka is getting one year deals very late in the piece, and he's been shifted to the other end of the ground to find a role. He's behind some pretty handy players.

I'd say Jeka is one of the more under pressure players on our list for a contract next season

Cal Porter seems the next in line of the Box Hill boys?
He'd be up there. I like Stu Horner, but at 26 next year, he's probably too old for us to consider

I'm excited by Naish and Brown to be honest.
That being said, and pending any other spots that open up, i'd probably hold off on SSP spots and have another look at MSD where the overlooked 18yos can get on.

Just keep your hands of Punky boys !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2022 - 2023 Off-Season and Pre-Season training Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Back