Game Day 2022 AFL Grand Final : Geelong v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 has come and almost gone.

Finals await, and the Premiership could be just about anyones at this point if they get their game going.

Who do think goes out first week?

Who goes out in straight sets?

Who makes it to a prelim?

I really hope it ends up Brisbane v Freo, but in my heart of hearts I know it will probably be something like Sydney v Geelong.

Richmond over Brisbane
Melbourne over Swans
Collingwood over Cats
Freo over Doggies

Cats over Freo
Swans over Richmond

Sydney over Collingwood
Melbourne over Cats

Melbourne go back to back.

Lock it in.

Freo knocks out dogs
Rich knocks out Bris

Syd beats Melb (hardest game to pick)
Geel beats Pies.

Pies beat Freo
Melb beats Rich

Melb beats Geel
Syd does something ugly to Pies

Melb beats Syd at MCG triggering endless whines about Syd who finished higher playing GF at Melbourne's home ground

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brisbane at the Gabba is a different team compare to MCG. I think they can hang though and win against Tiger by a tiny margin.

My pick for the first week of finals:
Brisbane
Melbourne
Collingwood
Fremantle

I keep forgetting that they have bye before finals. I wish they scrapped that and play finals after round 23.

Wide open finals series.

Of the bottom half, Richmond and Bulldogs could potentially make deep runs (so from that pov, better that Dogs made it than Carlton). Dogs have done it before, and the Tiges are probably the team no one wants to come up against.

Every club has academies now though - the Bulldogs got JUH via one while contending.
Melbourne, WA and SA clubs only have access to their Academy players if not selected in the top 40. Bulldogs got the once in a lifetime incredible piece of luck. Melbourne missed on Mac Andrew last year due to the rule changing that year so bad luck for them.

Melbourne, WA and SA clubs only have access to their Academy players if not selected in the top 40. Bulldogs got the once in a lifetime incredible piece of luck. Melbourne missed on Mac Andrew last year due to the rule changing that year so bad luck for them.

You and GG aren't wrong - however academies aren't enough to make me want Geelong to win a flag in preference to the Swans. I am not fan of them - but they are the lesser of the two evils.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, wide open card.

Still think it's the Cats to lose, but any team that gets a run on in form could run the table and take the chocolates.

So on that, Melbourne to me started to look like they're building form. And the Tigers, just quietly, have been looking better the last 2 weeks. And Cats obviously have been smashing nobodies. Although you could say the same about Richmond.

I'd like Freo to win it, but if they're going to do any serious business, they're going to have to do it on the road, which is challenging.

So, week 1 tips:
  • Richmond - Unless Brisbane have been playing rope a dope and Tigers downhill skiing, I think the Tiges get it done. Even up at the Gabba.
  • Melbourne - at the G, I think they'll handle Sydney pretty easily.
  • Geelong - this is the hardest one to pick for me. Geelong should win, but I see plenty of scenarios where the Pies could come in "clutching" again.
  • Fremantle - If you're squeaking into the 8 on percentage on the back of the final H&A result, you're historically not going to do too much business in the finals. Plus it's in Perth. So unless the umps let the Dogs go full Tom Brady, I reckon they get bundled out

I don't think I've ever looked LESS forward to an AFL final in my life than this Geelong vs Collingwood Qualifier.
I am absolutely thrilled that the AFL have scheduled it in the graveyard 4:35pm slot on the Saturday afternoon so I don't have to watch it.

If you feel like doing some research, go and look at the recent history between those two sides. Some of the absolute WORST games of Australian Rules football you're likely to see. Geelong will win by 75 points minimum.

The other games I'm quite excited for.

Melbourne vs Sydney is my smokey Grand Final preview. Melbourne will either put the foot down and win comfortably or the Swans will get the job done like earlier this season. A 3 goal Melbourne victory might surprise me the most.

Brisbane vs Richmond has some added spice now Richmond may be sentimental favourites based entirely on what the Lions do with Dayne Zorko. If he plays I expect most of the footy world will be unexpectedly pulling for the Tigers.

Freo vs the Dogs is as good as 50/50 despite the venue. The Dogs are capable of anything come September. Fremantle should consider themselves unlucky not to be in the top 4.

You and GG aren't wrong - however academies aren't enough to make me want Geelong to win a flag in preference to the Swans. I am not fan of them - but they are the lesser of the two evils.
There are six other teams in it that aren't Geelong or Sydney. One of them throws the ball in every tackle and gets away with it. One has perfected the high fend off such that when the identical fend off goes the other way it's a free, but when one of their own does it they give him three norm smiths. One of them is so horrible I won't even watch black and white tv. Pretty much for me it's down to Brisbane or Fremantle.

There are six other teams in it that aren't Geelong or Sydney. One of them throws the ball in every tackle and gets away with it. One has perfected the high fend off such that when the identical fend off goes the other way it's a free, but when one of their own does it they give him three norm smiths. One of them is so horrible I won't even watch black and white tv. Pretty much for me it's down to Brisbane or Fremantle.

See I don't disagree with all of that - but my only focus this September is still on Geelong not winning a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2022 AFL Grand Final : Geelong v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back