Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latest HS mock has us taking Phillipou, with Tsatas going to Essendon. But say if Essendon take Phillipou we'll take Tsatas

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
This seems most likely the way I see it.

I can't see * going past a delusional kid who thinks he's the greatest thing in the draft, hence I'm guessing we're picking up Tsatas.

We've interviewed 4 times.
So the difficulty now becomes what we do if Gold Coast take Ginbey, Clark, or Mackenzie.

If two of Tsatas, Humphrey, or Phillipou are available there's going to be some tough calls. It seems like all three think the buck stops with us in their draft order.

So the difficulty now becomes what we do if Gold Coast take Ginbey, Clark, or Mackenzie.

If two of Tsatas, Humphrey, or Phillipou are available there's going to be some tough calls. It seems like all three think the buck stops with us in their draft order.

My belief is that Tsatas is still on top of our list.
I think we have Humphrey slightly ahead of Phillipou, but aware that he's most likely going to Gold Coast. But both offer something that we need in a match-winning fwd/mid.

My order:
Tsatas
Humphrey
Phillipou
Clark
McKenzie
Ginbey

I think McKenzie would be our choice if we decided to trade down.

I think Cooper Stephens coming across may have influenced our draft plans . He’s a recent 1st round DP who did nothing wrong at sadly the best team in the comp when given an opportunity, I don’t think he is viewed as making up numbers rather being a piece of the puzzle with expectations of playing a vital role . From what I saw of the U18 cships a similar player would be McKenzie which is why we may have gone cold on him and looking for something different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Traits wise

Whats the difference between Ginbey and Phillipou

Both tall athletic midfielders but Ginbey is a better kick?

This was from last season - this seems to be a clear method from Sam and McKenzie. Interviews, interviews, interviews.

No wonder that there are very few pundits that know which way we're leaning.

Traits wise

Phillipou as a midfielder is more of a project than Ginbey.

Phillipou is much more of a natural forward with better skills, Ginbey is a contested midfielder currently with a limited outside game.

Traits wise

Ginbey is a blunter, more shallow kick. Stubs at them and pounds it 30-40 meters. Phillipou is much better skills wise.

Ginbey is a first possession winner with good straight line speed but poor agility. Phillipou is a first receiver type mid who uses his speed to burst away from stoppages, but isn't winning the ball himself. Ironically would work perfectly with a Titch like player.

Phillipou is very good over head and a consistent goalkicker. Ginbey is strong overhead, but more of a opportunist than someone who reads the play and makes their own marks.

Ginbey tackles hard. Phillipou is similar to Tsatas in that he's an attack first mid who isn't thinking about his opponent at the stoppage.

Ginbey is a blunter, more shallow kick. Stubs at them and pounds it 30-40 meters. Phillipou is much better skills wise.

Ginbey is a first possession winner with good straight line speed but poor agility. Phillipou is a first receiver type mid who uses his speed to burst away from stoppages, but isn't winning the ball himself. Ironically would work perfectly with a Titch like player.

Phillipou is very good over head and a consistent goalkicker. Ginbey is strong overhead, but more of a opportunist than someone who reads the play and makes their own marks.

Ginbey tackles hard. Phillipou is similar to Tsatas in that he's an attack first mid who isn't thinking about his opponent at the stoppage.
Honestly, Phillipou is probably closer to Sheezel in terms of the skills you'd be drafting. He's also much, much more conscious of his opponent than Tsatas which isn't at all hard.

Tsatas most likely picked up by Dons.
İt leaves Humphrey phillipou Clarke. I like it . Heard really good things about Humphrey from someone I trust the judgement of. Can play.
We need the Suns to pass on Humphrey. I like the kid a lot.

Interviewing so many highly rated prospects allows us to plan for all scenarios, including any potential trade that shuffles us back a few spots to gain another notable selection. It tends to show us that it's a fairly even 5-10 range, with most being midfielders that can add something that we're currently lacking.
It also puts pressure on clubs below us to offer something decent for pick 6 if they believe their number 1 target won't get through to them.

If West Coast want Ginbey, and they know we are keen, they might offer us their pick 8 for our 6, whilst adding something of value in return. In a scenario like this we would still have access to one of Tsatas/Phillipou, Clark, McKenzie (If we rate them all fairly equal), whilst getting something extra.

I still think we will select best available between Tsatas & Phillipou at pick 6, but we must plan for all scenarios, including live trades.

Interest in Ginbey could be a beautiful smoke screen.

Get West Coast to trade 8 and 20 for 6 and 24.

The play here could be that we like somebody more specifically around pick 20 than we do between 6-8.

Clark, Mackenzie and one of Phillipou or Tsatas would be every chance of being available at 8 if Ginbey goes before us.

Interest in Ginbey could be a beautiful smoke screen.

Get West Coast to trade 8 and 20 for 6 and 24.

The play here could be that we like somebody more specifically around pick 20 than we do between 6-8.

Clark, Mackenzie and one of Phillipou or Tsatas would be every chance of being available at 8 if Ginbey goes before us.
WC will pounce on that.. But would just prefer 8+26 for 6+48. Neverthless would work perfectly for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back