List Mgmt. 2022 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take the best onballers available with our first 2 picks. Our current crop are ageing and another couple of high talented onballers can only help.
On the other hand, most of our Round 1 2023 teams have Jones and Keath as our key backs, so age is an obvious issue there as well.

The recruiters have a lot more info than us, so either way I reckon they just need to select their call as the best player available.

Our starting midfield unit will be players that were all top draft picks. Not a single player we've drafted in the late second or third round in recent years has come on enough to force their way onto level pegging with players that were drafted earlier.

On the other hand, our three main key defenders will be: A cricket Cat B recruit who we traded for, a converted key forward from a pick in the 30's way back, that we signed as a DFA, and an athletic utility, that we converted to key defender that we mid-year drafted.

I'm not suggesting that someone like Weitering shouldn't have been pick 1 by that logic, but I'm much more concerned about a quality of midfield that is tried to be filled with players that are recruited by players drafted outside the top 30, than I am a key defensive unit filled with players recruited outside of the top 30.
I get where you’re coming from but isn’t that the issue, we have the worst key defensive stocks in the league by a mile - isn’t the fact that they’ve been sourced from late picks etc and haven’t turned out well more reason to finally use just one decent asset on them?

I agree with others sentiment that yes absolutely you can find good solid defenders everywhere, but rarely stars. I think most top defences have at least one very good to star defender, then it’s less of an issue to fill the gaps with ring ins.

When you look at the absolute top line premier defenders in the comp a lot of them are still high picks. And the last time we picked a strong marking intercept defender from WA in the top 10 it turned out to possibly be one of our better selections of all time so we really shouldn’t be turning them down if available just because we can pick up the likes of Keath, Gardner, Jones, Trengove etc cheaply - I mean they’re cheap for a reason

Our current defence should be a warning to us and other clubs to not neglect the position, by no means should it be a blueprint of how to build a defence

Sydney are worrying me a little bit, there has been talk they might look at getting the blues first round pick for Sydney’s 14 and 17, if that happens could they be eying off Jed busslinger seen as cal twomey had them taking josh weddle with their first pick.

A few reports saying Melbourne offering 13 and 2 F1s to Essendon for 4 and 22.

Will be a tricky call, substantially weakens this year's hand but 3 firsts in a strong draft next year is probably the smart call long term

Could be a hard sell though when your list is sh.t and needs quality now.

Will be an interesting call

Melbourne could shake up the draft order here, sounds like they want Humphrey and are willing to pay up big, if they do manage to get in ahead of GC I’d suspect the flow on affect of that would Ginbey to GC, Busslinger to WCE and Allen to us.

Hopefully it doesn’t go ahead

Any chance we trade a Future first to get another pick in the teens.

Our future first for Sydneys' pick 14 for example?

Or brisbane future first for a pick in the 14-18 region?
Wouldn't be giving away picks in the first rounders year. It's the best crop of kids I've ever seen

Melbourne could shake up the draft order here, sounds like they want Humphrey and are willing to pay up big, if they do manage to get in ahead of GC I’d suspect the flow on affect of that would Ginbey to GC, Busslinger to WCE and Allen to us.

WCE have said the here targeting mids early, I reckon they’d take Allen or Hewett over Buss

Actually on second thought, where would that trade leave Phillipou? Hawks maybe which would leave Tsatas to Saints and maybe McKenzie to us? I hope Clark’s not the one to fall to us if the top end shifts around a bit

I think debating what type of player we should take at 12 is pointless. At that stage of the draft we just need to pick best available.
If the draft pans out the way the phantoms suggest I think Busslinger is the best available.

Our recruiting staff may see things differently and being able to spot a fatal floor in a highly rated prospect or identify untapped potential in a smokey is where they earn their money so we just have to hope and trust they know what they're doing.

Actually on second thought, where would that trade leave Phillipou? Hawks maybe which would leave Tsatas to Saints and maybe McKenzie to us? I hope Clark’s not the one to fall to us if the top end shifts around a bit
If Hawks trade up for Humphrey and Sun's take ginbey I believe Eagles take clark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Busslinger's favour is that as an 18 year old 82kg(ish) player he made it to senior level in the WAFL which bodes well for his game transitioning to AFL.
The fact he was taking kick outs is another positive. I still think we have a KPD hole if we grab him, but a tall interceptor isn't something we should sneeze at.

He didn’t really get near it at WAFL level though.
I get where you’re coming from but isn’t that the issue, we have the worst key defensive stocks in the league by a mile - isn’t the fact that they’ve been sourced from late picks etc and haven’t turned out well more reason to finally use just one decent asset on them?

I agree with others sentiment that yes absolutely you can find good solid defenders everywhere, but rarely stars. I think most top defences have at least one very good to star defender, then it’s less of an issue to fill the gaps with ring ins.

When you look at the absolute top line premier defenders in the comp a lot of them are still high picks. And the last time we picked a strong marking intercept defender from WA in the top 10 it turned out to possibly be one of our better selections of all time so we really shouldn’t be turning them down if available just because we can pick up the likes of Keath, Gardner, Jones, Trengove etc cheaply - I mean they’re cheap for a reason

Our current defence should be a warning to us and other clubs to not neglect the position, by no means should it be a blueprint of how to build a defence

Key defender is probably the position that is most often reached for with a high pick in recent times. There’s almost an argument to treat them like ruckmen for draft purposes, unless there’s an objectively great prospect like Weitering.

If we trade upto 4 to take tsatas ill spew. We need players that can tackle, don't recall a time I've seen tsatas tackle anyone.

Man the excitement around this evenings draft has gone up a couple of levels now!!

Strap yourself in.

We have the upper hand in the bidding war over Melbourne, since we have pick 11 (which is the last of the top tier selections) plus the future picks which Melbourne also has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back