Position 2022 Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting, why the cold feet? I had Hayden Young until I saw Chapmans highlight vid.
He's looking great, loads of talent there. Them being stacked with defenders and wings plus only 6 career games to his name are slight queries when paying 400k+ for him. It's the spot I'm most torn on.. all things considered I find myself justifying it equally both ways.

Crisp has never averaged over 101, only just realised that. He is consistent and durable though. Anyone starting Lloyd, 30k cheaper that's shown he's capable of going 110?

Worst case scenario, Lloyd goes high 90s.
Crisp has only averaged 100 once.

Now that all of Stew, Dawson and Hall are unlikely for Round 1, think this 'll be probably be the most common/likely D1-D8 setup for Round 1, IMO (people could have Crisp or Lloyd instead of Sic or Chapman, but sacrifice in the mids or ruck):

View attachment 1343221
Exact same backline as mine, except I've got Answerth at D6. Any Lions supporters able to comment on his JS?

Crisp has never averaged over 101, only just realised that. He is consistent and durable though. Anyone starting Lloyd, 30k cheaper that's shown he's capable of going 110?

My thinking is Lloyd's capped at about 100 now with Swans moving away from possessing it in the back 50 while Crisp has some untapped potential being his first season playing mostly midfield.

The thing making me ?paying for crisp is Coll game plan.

A lot have mentioned it as a reason to be weary of degoey but everyone seems to overlook it for crisp.

Surely he has benefitted from a high possession game as much as anyone there.

Great pick, top 6 no doubt but is there any upside to make him a great starting squad selection?

Now that all of Stew, Dawson and Hall are unlikely for Round 1, think this 'll be probably be the most common/likely D1-D8 setup for Round 1, IMO (people could have Crisp or Lloyd instead of Sic or Chapman, but sacrifice in the mids or ruck):

View attachment 1343221
I had the exact same line-up after the AAMI games but have since moved away from it. I just don't love the idea of having three mid-pricers (four if you count Chapman) in the same line. If a few underperform at the start of the season, you'll be forced to burn trades at a critical point in the season while likely compromising on downgrade targets. I'm still not entirely sold on McInerney and Chapman, either.

A 3-2-1 structure is the sweet spot, I think. McCartin isn't the sexist D6, but he'll be serviceable enough.

Last edited:
Crisp averaged 101 last year, some gun midfielders only average about that so it’s not certain that he lifts his average above that, he won’t see as am at cheap +6’a in the midfield. I do slightly prefer him to Lloyd, but if you need the 30k Lloyd is still a great pick and I don’t think there’ll be much between them

I’m surprised people are even considering fielding McCartin to be honest. I know our options are severely limited in defence but I won’t be at all surprised if he’s routinely dropping 30s for those with him on field. I’m avoiding him at all costs

I’m surprised people are even considering fielding McCartin to be honest. I know our options are severely limited in defence but I won’t be at all surprised if he’s routinely dropping 30s for those with him on field. I’m avoiding him at all costs
Really? Mature-ager, former No. 1 pick, intercept defender. Good form in the AAMI, and only has to average 52 to outperform his BE by 20.

Again, not the sexiest pick, but I reckon he has the same amount of upside as, say, a Chapman, but at $140k less.

Really? Mature-ager, former No. 1 pick, intercept defender. Good form in the AAMI, and only has to average 52 to outperform his BE by 20.

Again, not the sexiest pick, but I reckon he has the same amount of upside as, say, a Chapman, but at $140k less.
Yeah fair points, I just can’t help but feel that the first half of the AAMI game was a bit of an outlier and his low scoring second half is more what we should expect. Maybe a few years ago when the Swans used to chip it around the back line a fair bit I would have been keener but we just don’t do that anymore and he certainly wouldn’t be our distributor even if we did, so nearly 100% of his scoring needs to come from intercept marks.

I hope I’m wrong, because he’s still on my bench (and it does feel revolting spending that much for a bench player) so some decent scoring from him would be good. I’d love to be able to field him but I just don’t think I can do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree ....will have his 60's ....but we're pretty lite on down back

If SYD are winning games ....will be poor for McCartin ....however, it is what it is

“Then once I was back in the club full-swing I did a bit of recruiting, list management, learnt some skills that I need to start thinking about post-footy.”

“I’m pretty invested in the group we’ve got and what Sam’s vision is.”

Now having returned to some match play in recent practice matches, Sicily can’t wait to commence the 2022 home-and-away season, exclaiming he feels "100 per cent".

“I feel relatively fit,” he said.

“I did my own little pre-season (last year) while the guys were playing, then had an uninterrupted preseason – I feel good.”

“Then once I was back in the club full-swing I did a bit of recruiting, list management, learnt some skills that I need to start thinking about post-footy.”

“I’m pretty invested in the group we’ve got and what Sam’s vision is.”

Now having returned to some match play in recent practice matches, Sicily can’t wait to commence the 2022 home-and-away season, exclaiming he feels "100 per cent".

“I feel relatively fit,” he said.

“I did my own little pre-season (last year) while the guys were playing, then had an uninterrupted preseason – I feel good.”

Yes yes but what is your role you muppet as that is the most important thing :laughing:

I think McCartin is a solid enough D6 option and likely going around an average of 55.

I see him as posting some similar scores to Idun last year. Will hit a couple decent games with the odd 70 and also a mixed bag with 30 or below. I don’t think we can expect much more from a D6 but he should have decent JS.

Most of us would be happy to pay for Sinn/Chesser if they were to play and they are likely to only average around the 60 mark anyway so not too much difference.

I can’t justify spending an extra 150k+ to sure up my D6 to another gamble player who may only score at 65 themselves anyway.

150k extra spend to gain 10 points isn’t enough for me and that cash is better spent elsewhere getting a premo to an uber premo etc.

Next minute he comes out with an average of 30 and I’m screwed :eek:

I think McCartin is a solid enough D6 option and likely going around an average of 55.

I see him as posting some similar scores to Idun last year. Will hit a couple decent games with the odd 70 and also a mixed bag with 30 or below. I don’t think we can expect much more from a D6 but he should have decent JS.

Most of us would be happy to pay for Sinn/Chesser if they were to play and they are likely to only average around the 60 mark anyway so not too much difference.

I can’t justify spending an extra 150k+ to sure up my D6 to another gamble player who may only score at 65 themselves anyway.

150k extra spend to gain 10 points isn’t enough for me and that cash is better spent elsewhere getting a premo to an uber premo etc.

Next minute he comes out with an average of 30 and I’m screwed :eek:

Short of dropping players down (J Kelly back to Neale), I'm not seeing any other options around that price. There are very few guaranteed low priced starters in defence.

My backline as it stands is

Whitfield, McIrerney, Hewett, Sicily, Chapman and Patton.

with Sinn and SDK on the bench.

it is thin back there, but spending money elsewhere and also putting money on the bench as cash generation is going to be needed. But is this too thin, or they all have reasonable upside.

Most seem prepared to accept that when the alternative is paying up a lot more for a bit more upside but similar uncertainty. Has his role locked and looks capable of taking a few marks.. I think he’ll be OK and average around 50.

In a normal year a 190k D6 that goes around 50 is par for the course. If the whole shortage of options thing ends with only an 80k sting so be it.

Most seem prepared to accept that when the alternative is paying up a lot more for a bit more upside but similar uncertainty. Has his role locked and looks capable of taking a few marks.. I think he’ll be OK and average around 50.

In a normal year a 190k D6 that goes around 50 is par for the course. If the whole shortage of options thing ends with only an 80k sting so be it.
Fair enough. He just kind of strikes me as this year’s Jy Farrar… a bloke that probably can score a 70-something when the planets align but then on other days he suddenly has to play more accountably and you check the scores at half time and see that he’s languishing on 6. Think I’d rather avoid that but I do get where you’re coming from.

And hey, Farrar did average comfortably over 50 so maybe it’s not even a great comparison

Fair enough. He just kind of strikes me as this year’s Jy Farrar… a bloke that probably can score a 70-something when the planets align but then on other days he suddenly has to play more accountably and you check the scores at half time and see that he’s languishing on 6. Think I’d rather avoid that but I do get where you’re coming from.

And hey, Farrar did average comfortably over 50 so maybe it’s not even a great comparison
I get the thinking and having a Chapman D6 could be a real POD if McCartin stinks it up. But I’d rather give up some points there than in the midfield where it’s got the potential to burn you even harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back