2022 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the way a few of Sam, MM, and the media have spoken about our salary situation it seems like we're going for a big fish or two next year. I know Gresham is the big UFA everyone's keen on right now, but who are some tradeable out-of-contract young stars we can throw a Rankine-style Godfather offer to and get them across?

Noah Anderson and Serong are the dream options (and Rowell, but to a lesser extent), but I'm not sure either of them leaves their teams for us.
Callaghan might be worth throwing a bit of extra money at, but you'd want to see him play before offering a real-deal contract.
We could throw something at Weightman, but again he's not quite a star and I can't see him leaving the doggies unless he's on the out with the playing group a la Dunkley.
LDU? Just to see the norf fans cry?

Georgiades and Bergman are similar, not stars but we could simply overbid on front-ended contracts to try and pry them over. Not that that would work, mind you.

So I guess the question is: Who are we melting over not getting next?
Surely we would go for the "Big Fish" a year or maybe two before we are ready for the "Big Dance"....

(OK, I could get very excited if this turns out...) Dreams of 2008 :D

Are you referring to we should/shouldn't recruit them depending on if they supported us? Or the expectation a player would want to play for us because they supported us as kids?

If the latter, we did just pick up a bloke because of it! It may not always be a consideration for players when moving, but it is for some.
It’s irrelevant as far as player movement is concerned. It’s a fun tidbit but that’s it.

And we didn’t bring in Stephenson because he was a hawks supporter. It’s a feel good footnote.

A player we were keen on just picked us as his destination because he was and his family are mad Hawks supporters, also the high probability that a Hawks supporting junior is at the top end of the talent boards it makes sense, also works for Geelol apparently.

It's an added bonus and could help secure trades in the future as well.

The "XXXX player is is/not a hawks supporters" has got to be one of the weirdest criteria rabbit holes this board has adopted as a discussion point in recent years.
Even weirder is people getting upset that a player with less than 100 games might hypothetically one day have a kid that is good at footy; or worrying about which club Hodge’s kids support in case they are hypothetically good at footy.

Even weirder is people getting upset that a player with less than 100 games might hypothetically one day have a kid that is good at footy; or worrying about which club Hodge’s kids support in case they are hypothetically good at footy.

Amen. The ‘gift X games so we get the father/son!!!’ thing borders on unsettling.

I’m not sure.

I did like him in his draft year though, and was keen on us taking him.

As a couple of comments on the video say, seems to have good vision and spatial awareness.

The knock could well be the same as Downie...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of people flat about the Noah Anderson fiasco. I get it.

A player we were keen on just picked us as his destination because he was and his family are mad Hawks supporters, also the high probability that a Hawks supporting junior is at the top end of the talent boards it makes sense, also works for Geelol apparently.

Is this a draft or DFA type situation, D27?

Is this a draft or DFA type situation, D27?
I think the one who picked us was Stevens.

The high ranking one is Sheezel.

We just need to get him to tank badly for 2 years, and get him back where he belongs in 2024.

It’s irrelevant as far as player movement is concerned. It’s a fun tidbit but that’s it.

And we didn’t bring in Stephenson because he was a hawks supporter. It’s a feel good footnote.

You don’t think talent and ability may have had a bit more to do with it? 😂
Stephens saw an opportunity to play for us and jumped at it. Blindsided Geelong by the sounds of it. We rolled with it because he fitted into our needs.

The fact he supported Hawks wasn't the be all and end all, but it definitely played a part in the whole process.

I see absolutely no relevance in doing this. A player drafted at pick 16 does not equal the combined value of a player drafted at 30 and 38. If this really was the case, clubs would be falling over themselves trading out a top five pick for a host of lower picks. So why try to justify your argument with such a rubbish statistic.

Come back to me if we actually end up with pick 16 by dumping all our picks in the 40s. As far as I can see, Essendon are the only ones who might need the points (Brisbane might but don't have much to give) and that won't give us anywhere near a pick 16.

You're absolutely correct, it's a load of shite.

Sheezel?

More likely Stephens saw opportunity. That it was at his boyhood club was just a bonus.

Also Geelong has a geographical leverage, as well as success and culture as drawcard home.

If the club recruiters are prioritising Hawthorn fans I’d question if they’re right for the job.

If the club recruiters are prioritising Hawthorn fans I’d question if they’re right for the job.
As I said earlier, I'm here by the phone, and can't wait to put on the boots again...

Me too! I've got about 20 kegs to lose, but I'm fully prepared to be chuck that jumper on and sit in the goal square.
It's not like it hasn't been done before. You may wish to update your username to stewydew2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back